Supernatural S07 rundown SPOILERS!!

gobler

Sr Member
Ok now that season seven has ended what do you all think? I for one am disappointed. They completely ignored what I thought would have been great mythos with the Lovecraft tie ins from season six. Over all it felt like the whole season was filler with some pretty good episodes. The ending with Dean and Cass in Purgatory was kind of cool. Bobby's death was kind of anti climactic but alright... Hope season nine kicks ass. Jenson is directing the season opener.

Sent from somewhere in space & time...

Yeah, I was disappointed throughout the season, so I didn't expect much from the finale. I guess my issue with it was the Leviathans altogether. In the beginning it seemed the Leviathans were hyped as major baddies that are near impossible to stop, but once they took human form and became clever quippy characters I couldn't take them seriously nor see them as a major threat. Mainly because apparently you can just behead them and as long as you keep the head separate from the body they will stay dead. Well then encase the head in concrete and you're done. I dunno...

Basically the only thing saving the entire season from a letdown is Castiel and Dean being stuck in Purgatory with all the big baddies that would love to chew a Winchester up. I hope season 8 won't be as much of a letdown, and maybe tie the series up and go out before it's too too painful(see: Smallville).

And this is coming from a (once)die-hard SN fan. :confused

I'll be honest and say I haven't enjoyed season 7 at all, so much so that I have missed the last 4 episodes, it just seems to have fallen off the track a bit which is a shame as I used to love the show!

It wasn't Lucifer vs Michael great, or Yellow Eyed Demon at Devil's Gate good but I enjoyed it. Yeah, I'd be happier seeing more 'outsider' kind of things that aren't directly Jehovah-God related like Cthulhu, but I enjoyed it. The kill with Dick was anticlimactic, but the fallout with Dean in Purgatory, Bobby gone (why couldn't Castiel just bring him back?) and Crowley as usual back on top was good.

Bah, I liked bits and pieces of the season. I didn't really enjoy the little lectures about eating meat, politics, guns, and high fructose corn syrup, which was practically a villain all it's own. I don't really mind that stuff in movies and TV shows, even if I disagree with whatever statement they are trying to make. I just mind it when it's poorly done.

The Leviathan started out as a really great concept but by the finale it was obvious they didn't know how to pay off the concept in any meaningful way. The potential they had as a truly scary force to be reckoned with just sort of petered out and became a big ambitious plan to get us fat and eat us. Yeah. Not scary.

I did like the cliffhanger though. Even if purgatory looks like the woods of Canada.

;)

If Castiel just brought him back it would get rid of the emotional impact Bobby's death had. His whole spotlight episode was basically a very endearing send off. It's my guess the actor is moving on, but they wrote him out well. As far as the Levi's go..Idunno. They were a pretty good overarching baddy, and it let them play around far more than a centralized enemy. They were everywhere. This season's problems lie mostly in it's scheduling. The frequent breaks kinda killed the tension and jacked the pace up imo.

In other news..Anyone know ANYTHING about Dean's new (i'm guessing) Horsehide russet brown leather jacket? Want.

To be honest, there was enough Crowley in the episode to make me ignore all the rest of it and be happy with that alone :D

The whole of season 7 seemed far too scattered; there was no movement on the major plot until the final 4-ish episodes, and the menace of the Leviathans wore off about halfway through the season. Especially when an easily-accessible household cleaner turned out to be the silver bullet, so to speak.

However... Season 8 seems to be setting Crowley up as the big bad (and of course, the redemption arc with Castiel in Purgatory...). Am hoping Purgatory is also where the Angels go when they die. So high hopes!!

In other news..Anyone know ANYTHING about Dean's new (i'm guessing) Horsehide russet brown leather jacket? Want.
It's a lambskin leather with a linen liner. It's made by Ocean Drive Leather in Vancouver. I e-mailed Darryl (The owner) last month about this jacket and he said it's going to become Dean's new "go to" leather jacket. Unfortunately if you want one, the price tag on one is $2000 lol.

******, that's more than a shearling bomber jacket (~1400USD). For LAMBSKIN that is ENTIRELY overpriced. The high pricetag must be a contracted bit to discourage others potentially acquiring and reproducing the custom jacket.

I don't mind that the season was mostly filler. If it had been all classic episodes like season 1+2 it would have been awesome. I mind that the season was really bad filler.

The problem with the direction the show has taken can be boiled down to two problems.

1. Lack of subtlety

2. Humor becoming a priority

The first problem manifests itself in to major ways. The first is that the supernatural creatures have no mysteriousness about them. We don't learn about thier evil plans secondhand from the witnesses anymore, allowing the audience to connect to the human side of the evil and fill in the blanks with thier mind (something that always makes fear the most effective). Instead we see every aspect of the monster's lives, from over the top murders the commit, to thier mundane details of thier everyday lives. They aren't mysterious beings living in the dark corners of the world, but glorified mobsters that live in mansions and have jobs. This robs the creatures of all fear the might inspire. It also applies to the humans as well, as all of them are over the top archtypes rather than actual humans. No one feels like a real person anymore, but rather a sloppy cliche shoved in your face.

The second problem is definatly the humor. The simple reality is you cannot be both scared and laugh at the same time. The writers frequently admit they make many choices based on what they feel is funniest rather than what makes the story most effective. You get the sense that the writers spend most of thier energy trying to make eachother laugh rather than really tell a good story. Frequently dramatic or otherwise effective scenes are apsolutly ruined because of a cheap joke. This is at its worst when it applies to the monsters themselves, because it takes away from the fact that they are evil and deserve to be killed. The most unforgivable example was the James Marsters/ Charisma Carpenter episode where Dean and Sam actually let the two monsters (who had spent the entire episode killing innocent people) go free because the writers chose to write the climax around the gag of Sam helping them work out thier relationship.

I think that whole episode was a gimme though, honestly. Spike and Cordy are witches who live together. But it did give them the ability to Lash down a leviathan for a bit and learn more about them.

Anyone else thing that Dick Roman was an excellent charismatic, if corny, baddy? Aside from the pacing, which most of us seem to be in agreement on, I thought he was a pretty good addition to the season.

I think that whole episode was a gimme though, honestly. Spike and Cordy are witches who live together.

It doesn't matter. This show is about american legends on the backroads of the country. Any episode that involves "poking fun" at the monster or in any way takes away from the scaryness of the concept of a monster killing people is tonally inappropriate for the show. Letting the monsters go at the end because the writers decided to wrap up the plot in a lighthearted way is inexcusable.

Anyone else thing that Dick Roman was an excellent charismatic, if corny, baddy? Aside from the pacing, which most of us seem to be in agreement on, I thought he was a pretty good addition to the season.
He was well acted, but a character is only as good as the story they are given to operate in; and the Leviathan story failed completly in every single level.

The pacing wasn't a problem at all. This show has always been 90% standalone episodes. There was no way in hell it was going to be leviathan stuff every week. And thank god it wasn't. It was a plain out bad story and giving us more of it wouldn't have helped.

Last edited:
I miss Sam and Dean running down Monsters-of-the-Week
I miss the classic rock soundtrack
I miss the personal motivation (looking for Dad) in the over-arcing story lines.

Like mentioned above, I hate how we see right away who and how the baddies operate. Takes all of the mystery out of it. Criminal Minds is guilty of the same thing in later seasons.

I don't think we'll see a Season 9 unless they get back to basics a bit

Ok now that season seven has ended what do you all think? I for one am disappointed. They completely ignored what I thought would have been great mythos with the Lovecraft tie ins from season six. Over all it felt like the whole season was filler with some pretty good episodes. The ending with Dean and Cass in Purgatory was kind of cool. Bobby's death was kind of anti climactic but alright... Hope season nine kicks ass. Jenson is directing the season opener.

Sent from somewhere in space & time...

Dude.. This is a soap opera for the weekend.I liked it.

The season is definitely weaker than the older seasons, but I think it was still a step up from Season 6. They missed a real opportunity to do more Cthulhu stuff after setting it up last season, but I did enjoy this season, as inconsistent as it was. And I'm looking forward to seeing Purgatory. Hopefully it'll have some good stuff.

I'm also hoping for the glorious return of the Ghost Facers!

I think Season 8 is going to be a real step up from this season and the completely vomit worthy Season 6 lol. All the producers have said that for Season 8 they want to go back to the basics of what Supernatural used to be.

Also, the CW president just said in an interview that when it comes to ending Supernatural that he in no way, shape, or form, is viewing Season 8 as the last.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back