Superman WIP

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by IamSteve, May 2, 2012.

1. IamSteve

IamSteve Active Member

Hey Everyone.

So after a long time lurking about i decided it was time to actually make a post about something.

For a while i've been interested in costume design/creation and have spent the majority of my time on these forums browsing other peoples creations (mostly with envy lol) looking for ideas on how to start.

Eventually i decided that a dye sub costume would probably be the easiest to start with as im nifty enough in photoshop and got a copy of TaylorMcManus' excellent muscle pattern.

Being a die hard supes fan, it was kind of a no brainer what my first attempt would be.

Originally i was just going to replicate the original but theres not much fun or individuality in that, so i thought a hybrid would be a bit more interesting. My costume will have elements of the three movie variants (original, returns and man of steel) plus influences from the new comic reboot costume, which has an almost armor look to it.

The first thing i wanted to get done was the S shield. Its the one part i needed to be absolutely satisfied with before i would even consider starting the rest.
    [​IMG]
    Its based off the shield seen in the man of steel promo pictures but with a few changes that i felt brought it back to a more original look. Its still a WIP as i still have a fair amount of texturing to do before ill be satisified.

Next is a shot of the shield on the muscle pattern chest. The blue is not the final colour (but close to what i want it to be) and it has the same shield as the overlay pattern

[​IMG]

And lastly heres a more 'overall' look, including the belt which i only started about fifteen minutes before this post lol

[​IMG]

I theres still a long way to go before its any where near what i would consider finished, but its a start.

Anyone know any good places in the UK that could print it for me when its done? Just thought i would ask before i start my long google search.

All feedback is welcome!

2. Mystery

Mystery Well-Known Member

Man, that shield of yours looks awesome and really original, subscribed and good luck

3. Sonjou

Sonjou Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice and clean , I like it.

4. IamSteve

IamSteve Active Member

Thanks guys! means alot!
    Heres a quick update
    [​IMG]

Added armor lines and a bit more to the belt. Again all very WIP and will probably change most/refine it.

The blue is darker on the file, not sure why its showing so light on here =/

check it out directly here;
    http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/adagiofortron/3.jpg

You cant quite see the armor line bevel, but i want it faint so as not to take away from the rest of the costume. Ill post a close up later =]

5. brulafu

brulafu Active Member

Good work there.

I did the same as you and started on Taylors design and eventually redid it from scratch.

[​IMG]

Here's my first attempt at a Spidey...ignore the colours

[​IMG]

The first thing you need to do is to covert it to CMYK as the printing companies will convert your RGB file to CMYK and this dulls the muscle effect.

Here's 2 suits Im particularly proud of:

[​IMG]

I got mine printed overseas, but have samples being printed from local companies here in the uk. The one thing I've found is that I can't get the quality of the lycra that I had before, but think I may have found one. Samples are on route

6. IamSteve

IamSteve Active Member

Dude thanks for those tips, especially the CMYK, i wouldn't have known that lol

Your xmen suits are cool, did you do any others or just rogue and gambit?

7. Madmartigan

Madmartigan Active Member

Brulafu,

Rogue is interesting! I'd be intrigued to see how you do a female muscle print, since it might be relevant for another costume I might be helping with - think along the same lines as the one we already discussed but in pink and with it flaring to a skirt at the bottom. :)

8. brulafu

brulafu Active Member

I just have done those and a few batmen, I've been busy with real life work and trying to source a new printing company, but think I've cracked it. I'll let you know when I get all the samples in.

This is what I was talking about when you convert RGB to CMYK. RGB on the left, converted to CMYK - you can see it loses a lot of detail

[​IMG]

9. brulafu

brulafu Active Member

Absolutely....I'll reply to your email later tonight, I've been dealing with a few things, but definitely haven't forgotten about it !!

10. TravisO

TravisO Active Member

If you find a good source please put me in the loop, I have yet to find a place I trust with my future plans.
    Thanks

11. Sonjou

Sonjou Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does CMYK have better saturation that RGB?

12. IamSteve

IamSteve Active Member

Update after a long hiatus!

[​IMG]

comments? :)

13. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

not that i dont think that your work isnt very good, but especially on a superman suit, i think the S and the belt and stuff should be added seperately, and not printed on. if you print it on, it will just look like printed. i would model the S in clay and make a urethane cast of it, and attach it to a blue textured printed suit.

thats just my oppinion tho :)

14. IamSteve

IamSteve Active Member

I totally agree, to be honest right now im not looking at a build, im just doing it for fun. If i was to do a build thats how it would be done, right now its all about the design. I guess i should have said that earlier lol
    I was actually thinking of trying to do a pep shield and then cast it or else have the shield printed in seperate components and stretch it over foam. Not sure what avenue i would go for, im sure the casting would have better results. The downside to both is that i would lose my s shield details unless i found a way to include them later.

15. oldhope001

oldhope001 New Member

Visually it is interesting. The Returns blue looks the best, and compliments the suit design you've created.
    But personally I've always found modern hero suits to look a bit too busy with all the details put on. I'm not trying to insult you here. I'm a novice and I am totally impressed with your work.
    I would like to know why it is you think Superman needs armour? Is there a reason in your head? Or is it just to look good. Sorry if I'm coming off rude, totally unintentional.

16. IamSteve

IamSteve Active Member

Not rude at all my friend! Its not that he needs it, i just think it looks cool lol. The New 52 suit has that kind of a look to it

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/58424/1988402-jl_1_oroboros_cps_036.jpg

ive just exagerated it some what, there's a fair amount of added detail in my suit, a lot of which might not even make it in there at the end but i like to have options.

I have a version without the armored look and just the shield pattern on it and i like it too. Really what im going for is just trying to perfect what small skill i have at doing it for future reference, which is why i guess your question is so good because i don't have an answer other than aesthetics.

Realistically, Superman needs no armoured suit. Hes a walking tank lol. So i would guess that any reason he would have for that particular look would be the same, just because he likes it. :)

17. IamSteve

IamSteve Active Member

Heres something i threw together quickly!

Its just a quick breakdown on how i made my shield design.

[​IMG]

I can go more in depth with texturing if anyone needs it but its pretty simple stuff you can find anywhere on the internet lol :lol

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012