Superman... UPGRADES!! Dyesublimation Printing

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ May 27 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]1252003[/snapback]</div>
After looking at the closeup photos, it doesn't look like a dye sub, it looks like a simple photo silkscreen pattern to me.
[/b]

Agreed. You can see the reflectiveness of the paint on the surface. And doesn't the interview mention printing?

I say the actual suits are neither dye-sub or screen printed. The articles state that the suits were furnished by Speedo and custom dyed. Looking at pics of their suits, they use the fabric of the SR suit for accents only. These portions have a raise texture woven into the fabric to break down resistance while swimming. Silk screening with heavy ink would be the best way to approximate this.

<div class='quotetop'>(teecrooz @ May 30 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]1253174[/snapback]</div>
I got a piece of the suit today. It is definitely printed on, not sewn in.
[/b]

I'm waiting for one of those, too, but from what I've seen on the Speedo site, it looks woven in. I haven't found one of the suits in a sporting goods store to verify, though.

I have it in hand, and it is definitely on the surface and not woven in. You'll see when you get your swatch.

<div class='quotetop'>(teecrooz @ May 30 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]1253248[/snapback]</div>
I have it in hand, and it is definitely on the surface and not woven in. You'll see when you get your swatch.
[/b]

cool. makes me think there was some disinformation in the costume description. Has anyone seen the suits these are 'based' on?

Has anyone actually read one of the articles that mention Speedo as the manufacturer? The only thing I come up with on searches is everyone thinks the trunks look like speedos but nothing about the manufacturer. Maybe the Speedo rumor grew from that and the fact that the costume can appear to be made of the dimpled material Speedo uses. The only thing I've found about the actual fabric is from the previously linked article. K

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ May 30 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]1253307[/snapback]</div>
What may look like seam lines are part of the printed pattern. The suit actually has very few visible seams.
[/b]

Yeah, the arm, shoulder and back. I can't tell if the lines around the hips, thighs and part of the arm are printed/woven on or an overlock seam.

<div class='quotetop'>(BatDemon @ May 30 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1253302[/snapback]</div>
Didn't that article say the base suit came from Speedo? I know the seamlines on the suit look like a Fastskin 1 suit.
[/b]

That particular article didn't say anything about Speedo. Although with the lines I can see where the mistake could be made. K

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ May 30 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]1253333[/snapback]</div>
They're printed. It's part of the "art deco" motif on the suit.
[/b]

I'll post my HI-RES images of the suit I took in person later tonight.

Damian

<div class='quotetop'>(Kittlemeier @ May 30 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1253359[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(BatDemon @ May 30 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1253302[/snapback]
Didn't that article say the base suit came from Speedo? I know the seamlines on the suit look like a Fastskin 1 suit.
[/b]

That particular article didn't say anything about Speedo. Although with the lines I can see where the mistake could be made. K
[/b][/quote]

Definately, because aside from a center seam, those 'deco' lines look alot like the FastSkin lines. Oh, on the Speedos, those lines are overlock stiches of some sort.

this is a fascinating thread. Being a Reeves outfit enthusiast, I was never really taken by this latest rendition, but slowly am being weened over a bit.

The one tidbit I would have to offer is how difficult it is going to be to find a thick spandex in THAT color...It took me forever and a day to find the right stuff for the Reeves outfit, same with Chris King who started it. No less, I look at the color of this thing and realize that you might encounter the same problem - no less, when you get to that stage, I will defnitely help out with my old resources.

Also, how about the emblem ? I know a child's version exists and am very certain that a lifesize one will exist at some point as well.

<div class='quotetop'>(Got Maul @ May 31 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]1253697[/snapback]</div>
this is a fascinating thread. Being a Reeves outfit enthusiast, I was never really taken by this latest rendition, but slowly am being weened over a bit.

The one tidbit I would have to offer is how difficult it is going to be to find a thick spandex in THAT color...It took me forever and a day to find the right stuff for the Reeves outfit, same with Chris King who started it. No less, I look at the color of this thing and realize that you might encounter the same problem - no less, when you get to that stage, I will defnitely help out with my old resources.

Also, how about the emblem ? I know a child's version exists and am very certain that a lifesize one will exist at some point as well.
[/b]

The BLUE miliskin covering of the suit is REALLY REALLY REALLY THIN... The dense look of the suit comes from the muscle suit underneat.

There are a few guys making the S shield with mini S's in them. They will post eventually when they finalized their projects.

Damian

<div class='quotetop'>(Cptnchaos @ May 31 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]1253773[/snapback]</div>
The BLUE miliskin covering of the suit is REALLY REALLY REALLY THIN... The dense look of the suit comes from the muscle suit underneat.

There are a few guys making the S shield with mini S's in them. They will post eventually when they finalized their projects.

Damian
[/b]

so it is milliskin? not a neoprene that the speedos whould be made of? I think I have something close. I wouldn't want to dye unless absoutely necessary. Yeah several people are working on the shields. Superman5 showing the most promise. on a sheap and dirty method, the 'power hands' have the \S/ texture in what looks to be the correct scale embossed on them. take a texture stamep of that and ad it to the watergun sheild.......

you guys mean something like this? ;)

3.jpg

2.jpg

been working on this for a little whilenow.
shoot me an email if you want details.

joe

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back