Superman The Movie - Custom 3.75 inch action figure project and Palitoy / Kenner cardbacks *FULLY PAINTED PHOTOS*

cking

Sr Member
Hi all,

I've spent some time during lockdown working on some artwork for an upcoming project which is going to be a custom 3.75 inch Christopher Reeve Superman figure. For this, I intend to mount the figure onto my Palitoy inspired artwork. I wanted something that would well and truly fit in with THE must have figures from the time period - namely, the 3.75 inch Star Wars figures! Any comments welcomed.

The figure itself is going to be modeled in the computer and printed out with resin 3D printing. Should make a really nice display piece I'm hoping!

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• Carded - Copy.jpg
    Carded - Copy.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 3,328
  • Palitoy-Superman The Movie Card-Front and Back - Copy.jpg
    Palitoy-Superman The Movie Card-Front and Back - Copy.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 709
  • Comparison2.jpg
    Comparison2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 761
This is very cool. Ever since Kenner first used this basic design, I've considered it the gold standard of card back designs.
I like the active pose of Reeve on the first card. Good job!

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you like it.
Here's the Superman II cardback.

Attachments

• Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back.jpg
    Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 631
Hi all,

I've spent some time during lockdown working on some artwork for an upcoming project which is going to be a custom 3.75 inch Christopher Reeve Superman figure. For this, I intend to mount the figure onto my Palitoy inspired artwork. I wanted something that would well and truly fit in with THE must have figures from the time period - namely, the 3.75 inch Star Wars figures! Any comments welcomed.

The figure itself is going to be modeled in the computer and printed out with resin 3D printing. Should make a really nice display piece I'm hoping!

Thanks,

Chris

Otis doesn’t get his own figure??

It’s like the trauma of Deliverance, all over again, for poor Ned Beatty.

3C8AA915-B0C7-43F9-8076-447A72E53C92.jpeg

I changed the Superman 2 cardback to this photo which is a bit more representative of the film grain quality that the old Kenner Star Wars card photos used to have.

Attachments

• Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back-Option1a.jpg
    Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back-Option1a.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 315
The Kansas boy with the British accent in Superman II doesn't get an action figure? Boooo.....

Actually Ms. Tessmaker in the red dress would've been something to see on the back of a card.

Great project. I look forward to seeing the action figure. Are you going to do a retro 70's Star Wars figure with low detail or an idealized version?

My Hot Toys Christopher Reeve figure. Superman The Movie is one of my very favorites.

nrE1xXWm.jpg

Yes, I did want to put Miss Teschmacher on the card but also wanted to show the mail away versions and hadn't got enough room for all of it. I may try and tweak it - maybe make the character photos smaller so I can get an extra one on each row.

At the moment, I'm thinking that this will be an accurate sculpt with good likeness and excellent proportions, It will either end up as a mini statue at action figure size (since it's just going to be put into the bubble and sealed onto the card, so it's not essential to make it posable). Depending on how easy it would be to make it 3D printable as a kit of parts that could have the torso split into front and back and the arms and legs could fit into them, I may go for 5 points of articulation.

Nice display for your Hot Toys Supes,

The Kansas boy with the British accent in Superman II doesn't get an action figure? Boooo.....

Actually Ms. Tessmaker in the red dress would've been something to see on the back of a card.

Great project. I look forward to seeing the action figure. Are you going to do a retro 70's Star Wars figure with low detail or an idealized version?

My Hot Toys Christopher Reeve figure. Superman The Movie is one of my very favorites.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about that. There's only going to be a Superman figure made. :)

I’m in for two of each when you’re ready! You could print the 3D statue as if it WERE a figure with the lines in the waist and shoulders. That could look cool.

Modeling CR has got to have its challenges, I’d think!!!

Following with great interest!

Updated cardbacks for Superman The Movie and Superman II. Now including Miss Teschmacher and Otis. LOL.
Found a pretty decent 3d rendering of a Reeve Superman figure so added that to the packaged figure mock-up to get a better idea about how it will look. My figure will be more accurately proportioned and not as muscle-bound as the rendering, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Palitoy-Superman The Movie Card-Front and Back.jpg
    Palitoy-Superman The Movie Card-Front and Back.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 420
  • Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back-Option1a.jpg
    Palitoy-Superman II Card-Front and Back-Option1a.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 504
  • Carded-Option1a.jpg
    Carded-Option1a.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 393
Updated cardbacks for Superman The Movie and Superman II. Now including Miss Teschmacher and Otis. LOL.
Found a pretty decent 3d rendering of a Reeve Superman figure so added that to the packaged figure mock-up to get a better idea about how it will look. My figure will be more accurately proportioned and not as muscle-bound as the rendering, but you get the idea.

Totally loving this project.

Otis should have the lowest case distribution and, in a strange twist of fate, end up being the most valuable figure on the secondary market.

Ha ha. Yes, that's how it would have been done. You realise that I'm only going to make an actual Superman figure though? The rest of the characters shown on the back of the cards are "what ifs". The fact that Otis is looking down at Miss Teschmacher's "assets" and smiling is intentional. Ha ha. I got lucky finding that photo for him which works perfectly on the card.

Otis should have the lowest case distribution and, in a strange twist of fate, end up being the most valuable figure on the secondary market.

Got a nice quality test print done for the card and placed a bubble on it to see how it looked. Very pleased. Now just got to get the figure sorted to put inside it! This was printed on 350g card (front and back) but is thinner than the vintage cards. It looks great and displays well without being "floppy", but do you think I should instead glue a front and back together so the card ends up being thicker?

Attachments

• 20200610_201356-1.jpg
    20200610_201356-1.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back