Superman Returns costume display at TRU NY

I'm very happy with this suit. Considering the possibilities they could have gone with? I could just see them putting him in black leather saying his costume wouldn't work on film...I see it as a nice homage to the old days.

And about the "S's" on the shoes, I doubt we'll see that in the movie. It was probably just the designers having fun and seeing how many they could fit there. Only the designers and people in this forum will even know they exist

And anyone who bought a toy from the movie :)

I picked up one of those hyper poseable Superman Returns figures, and he has the little s's EVERYWHERE.

Also, you are a braver man than me, taking zoom shots of Superman's crotch at a TRU :lol

I guess it's to make sure that if he ever has a horrible accident where his head, body, and fingers and whatnot get horribly mangled.... at least they will know he was Superman or at least he was a BIG BIG fan of him.

I like the Kitson version better though on the mannequin. The TRU has the better waistline, but it looks like the mannequin is a little drunk and leaning against the back of the display case.

Chris

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Jun 14 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]1261594[/snapback]</div>
Also, you are a braver man than me, taking zoom shots of Superman's crotch at a TRU :lol
[/b]

Well, better at a TRU than in some dark alley somewhere. :sleep

Hyperposeable Superman eh? Don't have too much fun hyperposing him. ;)

Me, I'm trying to figure out if ANY of the new sixth-scale toy versions are any good... all seem to have flaws. The Hyperposeable one is all plastic and has all those joints

review_hypersupes_5.jpg

Mattel Hyperposeable Superman pic from mwctoys.com

I just picked up the DC Direct "Superman Deluxe 13" Collector Figure"... pricey, but not bad. You get a cloth costume and cape, with plastic belt and chest shield. This figure has a more open neckline on the costume, which looks better IMHO, but they stuck the S shield up under his chin, which looks stupid. Also the red shorts extend up above the belt, which is sloppy.

So overall the costume doesn't look screen accurate but it is slighly better proportionally... the figure under the outfit is way musclebound tho, doesn't look much like Routh.

0206_dcd_smr1.jpg

DC Direct Superman Deluxe 13" Collector Figure prototype pic from toymania.com

Then there are the super high end figures.. the Medicom "Real Action Heroes" seems to be the gayest of the figures so far... :lol Also the most expensive, at about US$170 :eek

oth003315.jpg

Medicom Real Action Heroes prototype pic from action-hq.com

And then we have the Hot Toys figure... this seems to have the best costume, but the figure's head is too big. This one is severely limited too, a Hong Kong exclusive and only 800 pieces available.

Medicom%20Superman%204.jpg

Hot Toys Superman Returns pic from ultimatetoys.com.my

And if all that doesn't make your head spin, there are various statue versions coming... :rolleyes

5289_a_full.jpg

DC Comics publicity pic

- k

Yea, I have the DC Direct 13" original one, not the Routh resculpt head. It looks a lot better. Routh is not a very musclebound built guy, and the toy body they used is built more for "comic size muscle" that anything else.

I havent found any of the figures that are worth half a crap yet. The heat vision one FINALLY came out, only to have a head that is too wide. Really bright LEDs though.

The hyperposeable one looks kinda crappy with all the joints, but it makes a great companion piece to the action cape Batman that is the same size (nearly). Superman is a little taller, but that is how it should be in the comics anyway :)

Chris

That's true, the original 13" Collector Superman is not bad... originally I hated the face sculpt and the SHINY costume, but overall the proportions are "Alex Ross-like" which is good IMHO

review_13supes_3.jpg

pic from mwctoys.com

If it's possible for the S shield to be too big, well there it is. :lol

I found this other photo on a Spanish site... the S shield seems to be smaller and more in-proportion... were there two versions of this figure? :confused

1-13action%20(7).jpg

pic from supermanjaviolivares.iespana.es

The figure comes with accessories including a rubber steel girder to bend, and alternate Clark Kent clothing too, which is good (tho I've yet to see a sixth scale business suit that doesn't look like crap. :rolleyes )

You mentioned the Mattel Action Cape Batman Begins... this was the best of the cheap mass market Mattel toys from that movie. Here's Action Cape (right) compared with the DC Direct Collectors figure that came out later...

review_dcbb12_17.jpg

pic from mwctoys.com

These DC Direct Collectors figures are priced midway between cheap toy and high-end replica figure... and the quality is about in the middle too. For the money they're a little disappointing but at least they don't cost a mint.

Getting back to Superman... It's a little on the short side, but the 10" Mattel rotocast Superman is not too bad. Same face sculpt as on the other Mattels.

Plus his suit has the texture, which is at least screen accurate. :lol

review_supes10_1.jpg

pic from mwctoys.com

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(BLAST @ Jun 14 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]1261296[/snapback]</div>
And about the "S's" on the shoes, I doubt we'll see that in the movie. It was probably just the designers having fun and seeing how many they could fit there. Only the designers and people in this forum will even know they exist
[/b]

I agree with that.... it's like when they changed Anakin's lightsaber in Revenge of the Sith.. which is different to the one Luke has later. Only people on forums like this would really know, you can't tell that much on screen.

It's highly unlikely we'll see all of these S's the same way we can in study photo's of the suit.

<div class='quotetop'>(hunky_artist @ Jun 14 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]1261733[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(BLAST @ Jun 14 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]1261296[/snapback]
And about the "S's" on the shoes, I doubt we'll see that in the movie.
[/b]

I agree with that....Only people on forums like this would really know, you can't tell that much on screen.[/b][/quote]

Well... yeah. Since this is a thread in the Costuming section of a replica props forum, I feel comfotable discussing these things here. :lol

Anyway, look at it from my fan perspective. Let's say, in Episode III, Darth Vader's suit had had little Imperial cogwheels added to it, on the boots, the belt, a million of 'em everywhere. Wouldn't that bug you? :lol

- k

scarily enough, the hyperposeable supes actually has the weird texture on him too.

the only real "meh" part to it is his head doesnt have a decent ball joint on there. superman, for some reason since my childhood, has always flown while staring at the ground. the size is sort of "routh" meets "comic book". it resembles routh, but the general size of it when you stick em next to action cape bats is that he is a big "supermanly" guy.

one day.... i hope kenner/hasbro/hasbroken can let poor poor kal-el learn to look at what he is flying towards :lol

the collector figures are pretty cool to look at, but the crap thing is that DC stopped offering the "alternate" suit (i.e. clarks business suit) with the figures. green lantern has only his costume, lex has only his costume, theres no "in disguise" suit. 70 bucks for a figure is expensive, regardless of who it is, but at least give em something to work with. hell, team up with GI JOE and release 1/6th scale costumes or something. maybe tweak out some "bodybuilder" style figures to show off the fact that various heroes are built differently.

ah, enough bitchin bout the toys. the main thing is they (even at 70 bucks) are for kids, and if the kids play with em, thats good enough.

chris

Hey guys. After seeing a "Superman" special on A& E the other day I'm not sure sure we're seeing the screen used movie suit based on what I heard Brian Singer say during the test phase of the costume. I could be wrong or just misinterpreted what he said.

See below for what I heard him say. For you spoiler junlies out there I covered it up. Just highlight the following:

Nice suit guys. Don't you think ALL the S's are a bit too much on this one?

Now I could be wrong or just misinterpreted it. (I was a bit sleepy when I watched it but found it interesting Brian didn't like some of what he saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noted that also but I don't know what it means. Was the suit mandated by higher-ups at the studio, and rammed down Singer's throat over his objections?

Or was Singer in that clip examining an even MORE "S-infested" version (ie, was the blue fabric covered with silkscreened S-symbols), and Singer was refering to something which has been removed on the final suits that we see?

- k

I kinda got the impression that the suit designs were in the works from the time of McG helming the movie. Sounds like Singer was suggesting the tiny \S/ on the suit would be too much when seen in close up on the big screen. (thank gawd for little favors.) Most of the designs seem a colaboration, though.

I'll be checking out the TRU display next week during liceinsing, too. I'm wondering (hoping) DC will have something cool inside the show....Cameras on hand, of course. The costume in NY either has different briefs ot who ever put the display togther hiked them up a bit. Note the "pushing the lawnmower(shopping cart, baby carriage)" position of the hands in the TRU display. No attention to detail... kinda like the upside down belt on the Batman Begins display.

I was skimming through the official movie book and in the section talking about the costume (just one page of course :rolleyes ) they said that they had over *60* suits made. Apparently very few were actual "hero" costumes and you mostly just see those in promotional materials and only in a few instances in the movie. Most were made for specific uses from what they said. According to the book, for example, any scene where he is flying with his arms raised, they used specific flying suits that had slightly longer sleeves so that the sleeve cuffs were always at the right spot on his wrists. So, with all that in mind, it'd make sense that many of the costumes that show up publically will have those many little differences I guess...

From what I've been reading they claim Singer had most of the say in the design... that could just be political speak though so he doesn't make his bosses look bad. In several interviews he seemed to be the one pushing the idea of giving the suit a more visually complex look since the idea was that it was made of Kryptonian materials.

Personally, the "S's" on the soles of the boots are ridiculous IMHO... Singer also said... and I think I can paraphrase this from one interview if memory serves 'removing the yellow "S" from the cape was a concession made to the digital effects people who thought it made the flapping cape look odd'... that was the basic idea of what he said anyway. All these interviews tend to run together.

He also did say that they shelved a LOT of designs that had been done before, some of which were "interesting" which he seemed to say with some sarcasm.

<div class='quotetop'>(phase pistol @ Jun 13 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]1261197[/snapback]</div>
Here's the suit shown in Los Angeles vs the suit shown at Toys R Us in New York... they could be two different suits, or the two mannequins might just be making the suit look different.

The LA suit does look more like the way it fits on Routh.

kitson-vs-tru.jpg

[/b]

In my mind, though the details are different, the suit is VERY recognizable as superman. if you look at it, it's obviously a superman suit. You could almost not make that claim about the first keaton batman suit, which everyone now considers ground breaking.

I read a review of the new supes movie, and frankly, im more pumped about it than I was before. It sounds like it measures up to a whole lot of expectations. Don't forget, everyone threw a fit when the first pictures of Keaton came out in the rubber suit. Now all people say is "micheal keaton IS batman".

i'm hoping people will say the same thing about Routh in the coming months. I for one will be in line at the theater to experience this long awaited film.

<div class='quotetop'>(MattMunson @ Jun 16 2006, 01:03 PM) [snapback]1262682[/snapback]</div>
In my mind, though the details are different, the suit is VERY recognizable as superman. if you look at it, it's obviously a superman suit. You could almost not make that claim about the first keaton batman suit, which everyone now considers ground breaking.
[/b]

That's very true. The '89 Batman was a pretty radical design. This one isn't remotely as radical and, after all, the comic book interpretations have evolved and changed quite a few times over the years and especially from artist to artist.

The 3D symbol is probably what threw me the most at first but I've warmed up to it. I was afraid it would be weird that it didn't flex as he moved but the cloth they use on the costume is so thin, it doesn't really matter that the symbol doesn't stretch and deform as he raises his arms, etc. - at least not IMHO.

I've warmed up to the idea of the symbol on the belt buckle but the ones on the bottom of his shoes just seems kinda overkill. The one on the heel doesn't bother me... kinda interesting touch there I think.

<div class='quotetop'>(GundamZeppelin @ Jun 16 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]1262685[/snapback]</div>
Is it just me or dose the super man boots look like a pare of basketball shoes painted red :thumbsdown
[/b]

I can see what you mean but they don't really look that way to me due to the upper boot part and lack of laces. The custom soles they had made... and I get this tidbit from one of those many interviews I've read... Singer said the reason they made those great big soles on his boots was to help visually balance out the size of his shoulders and upper chest. That seems like a bit of an odd statement but that's basically what he said. Never thought of using the soles of someone's boots to visually balance their shoulders but whatever...

If anything still bothers me, it's probably the maroon color though I think it'll look better on film. It doesn't seem to bother me as much in the clips and trailer and I think it's because your brain (well... MY brain) is programmed to think of it as red so I seem to read it as being more red than it actually is. That may sound goofy but that's my humble 2 cents

those extra ones on the boots are just put there because they know we'll never ever see them on film..... the costume designers having some fun, if you like.

I'm fine with it. On screen you see a man in red and blue... with a cape. And it's obviously Superman. I'm fine with it :)

Just FYI the Kitson costume is one of the true hero costumes. The TRU NY costume is an "ARMS-UP" costume. That one was used for the flying sequences. Look at the arms right near the wrists..see the fabric bunching up? notice you dont see that in the kitson costume. The "ARMS-UP" costumes also had a spot ont he torso where the harness snapped in..look at the TRU NY costume see the weird upsidedown "U" onthe stomach? thats where the green screen flying harness went. Routh most likely wore both, and the subtle differences show which costume is w hich. Another example. Look at the trunks on the two costumes. the Kitson has the "low rise" trunks seen in the promo and hero costumes..the TRU NY costume has slightly larger trunks again to accomodate the body stretching in a flying pose. Also the material on the Kitson trunks has a slight shine to it. the trunks onthe hero were made out of the same material as the cape, but withthe diamond pattern. the trunksonthe TRU are a cloth to aid inthe stretch over the wire rigging. Just adding my two cents. Oh and my info comes from my film making partner who worked on the film. Just thought i would share.

I'm visiting NYC this weekend and discovered the costume at the TRU, and the first thing I thought of when I saw it was "I wonder if they'll need refernce shots of this on the RPF..." :p

I took a bunch of shots of the normal [big] stuff (chest symbol, belt, boot sole), but if anyone still has requests for additional pictures, let me know before probably 10:00 am eastern and I'll try and get them for you. I have pictures of the crystal and kryptonite shard if anyone needs those as well.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back