Superman Returns costume display at TRU NY

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just now spotted this on Supermanhomepage.com... might be worth a photo-expedition if you're in the Manhattan area. :D

This is where the "Batman Returns" prop and costume display was last year.

toyrus-ny2.jpg

toyrus-ny3.jpg

toyrus-ny5.jpg

Something is different about that costume from the pics we've been seeing on Routh. The colors seem different, although I'm sure that accounts for the lighting of the store. But the trunks look different too..they ain't the speedo shorts we've been seeing...those are actually the right kind of trunks. It really improves the look.

OK I'm back from TRU. :D

Take these pix with the Kryptonian grain of salt... colors may not read the same in pix as in person. The suit was lighter blue than I was expecting, for example.

kt_suit01_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_suit02_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_suit03_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_shield01_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_shield03_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_suitsign_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_belt01_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_belt02_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_boot01_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_boot02_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_bootheels_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_bootsole_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_cape_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_crystal01_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_crystal02_NYTRU_061206.jpg

kt_kryptonite01_NYTRU_061.jpg

kt_kryptonitesign_NYTRU_061.jpg

They put a shrinkey dink S on his chest...
They put an S on the belt...
They put them on the freaking boots...

and couldn't put one on the back of his cape?

I swear, this is a pair of kids' pajamas and a Speedo...

I would have been glad to trade the belt and boot symbols for a decent cape "S"... but the excuse they give is that the CG artists didn't want to have to match the "S" in every shot, so they left it out.

I tell ya, I do like the overall shape of the "S" in the symbol, and the swoopy beveling that it has, but that's about all I DO like about this suit. :unsure

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Exodus @ Jun 12 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1260770[/snapback]</div>
Something is different about that costume from the pics we've been seeing on Routh. The colors seem different, although I'm sure that accounts for the lighting of the store. But the trunks look different too..they ain't the speedo shorts we've been seeing...those are actually the right kind of trunks. It really improves the look.
[/b]

could these be some of the proto-types? What's up with the line around the ribcage/abs area? Don't see that in the official pics. BTW, watching the doc on A&E, sounds like the made a proto with the little \S/ instead of diamonds on the suit.

To me it's like a freakin' \S/ overkill. It's on EVERYTHING. (I mean, even on the tread of the boots.?.) It's more like a hodge podge of licensed Superman items some kid picked up from Wal-Mart and used it to make his own costume than what you'd think Superman himself would have on. It's like, "Just incase you forget, I'm Superman."

Sheesh.. :rolleyes

-B89. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(BatDemon @ Jun 13 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]1261010[/snapback]</div>
What's up with the line around the ribcage/abs area? Don't see that in the official pics. BTW, watching the doc on A&E, sounds like the made a proto with the little \S/ instead of diamonds on the suit.
[/b]

That line, around the diaphragm area, is actually a shadow from the seam in the display case... I was bouncing flash off of the ceiling. :$

I didn't take any specific shots of the seams in the suit, but you can see them at the edges of the closeups of the belt-trunks, and coming up from the tops of the boots. The seams are wide and flat LINES, they look printed-on.

And yeah, in the A&E documentary, you can hear Singer examining a suit prototype, and it sounds like he's QUESTIONING if all the "S" symbols might not look STUPID if they show up in closeup shots. SO what happened? If the "fiesta of S-es" wasn't Singer's idea, who was it at the studio that rammed it down his throat?

- k

<div class='quotetop'>(Beeb89 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]1261028[/snapback]</div>
To me it's like a freakin' \S/ overkill. It's on EVERYTHING. (I mean, even on the tread of the boots.?.) It's more like a hodge podge of licensed Superman items some kid picked up from Wal-Mart and used it to make his own costume than what you'd think Superman himself would have on. It's like, "Just incase you forget, I'm Superman."

Sheesh.. :rolleyes

[/b]

And on his heels?? COMEON. And little S's all over the boots....

The more I see of this costume the more and more I realize how craptastic the designers were

Here's the suit shown in Los Angeles vs the suit shown at Toys R Us in New York... they could be two different suits, or the two mannequins might just be making the suit look different.

The LA suit does look more like the way it fits on Routh.

kitson-vs-tru.jpg

On another note I wanted, Thanks PP for the heads up on the display. I'm going to be in NY next week for the Licensing Show and might have missed being able to check it out first hand. (Even if I'm not crazy about it. :p )

Thanks again.

I think this is a case of Bryan Singer wanting his "version" of Superman- specifically his-just to have a thumbprint on it- at Comic Con last Summer he was VERY defensive about the suit design when asked in the big convention hall why they made so many drastic changes to the suit- he said "what differences- what changes-Superman's suit has always looked like what we have done"--huh??? and EGO was his name-O

I think the New York's superman has a bigger "package" than the one in Los Angeles, either that or they digitally edited out LA's. :lol

Granted, Superman has evolved considerably over the decades... and he looks slightly different every time a new artist draws him

supermanevo.jpg

I will say that as compromised as it is, I prefer the "Superman Returns" suit to what Jon Peters was going to do to the poor guy

supermanlives_petersblacksuit.jpg

The "Returns" suit just looks too "Power Rangers" or something... :unsure

- k

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back