Superman Returns cape material?

<div class='quotetop'>(Lukes Roommate @ Jul 19 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]1283744[/snapback]</div>
Like the topic says ;)
[/b]

Not sure I remember the specifics well but I'm sure somebody here will chime in.

I know they used three different types of cape depending on the scene. There was a heavier wool cape that I believe underwent some kind of treatment... rubberizing or whatever. That was used mostly for walking scenes I believe. For flying scenes they used a cape with a cotton cloth base and for the high-speed flying scenes where they wanted the cape to flap more, they used one made of a polyester material. I don't believe any of the capes were an off-the-shelf material though.

I think I read this in the 'making of' book... that was the general info anyway. I've read so many articles about it I can't keep track of what I read where.

Hmmm, interesting.

Well, I just need something that will shield me in case my attempt to fly off the roof doesn't work.

Is the 'making of' book the movie guide one?

I'm pretty sure one side of the cape was dipped into a coating thing, to create the appearance of that vinyl surface. I have an article that talks all about it, I believe it says what materials it was made of too.
EDIT: Here's what is says about the cape.
<div class='quotetop'></div>
Q: What's each specific part made out of?

Dan: The cape is made out of a... it's interesting because the cape tables are 12 feet wide. We had to have the wool milled in France 102 inches wide. Most of the time when you buy wool that's 44 to 60 inches wide. We couldn't have a seam in the cape, so we had to have this specially milled. It's a latex base that takes about 3 lay-ups of latex that we....and there's a pattern. You can see there's a little diamond pattern on the cape. We made these huge mold tables where we put the predetermined....we've got about 3 different widths of capes depending on if it's a beauty cape, if it's a hero cape, if it's a flying cape or a high speed flutter cape. So they're all different widths and different weights and we used different linings. But for the beauty cape, it's this wool laid into this latex texture that you see on the outside. This is the beauty cape, yes.

[/b]
Here is the rest of the article.
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060515_set...eturns_pt6.html

<div class='quotetop'>(LogansRunner @ Jul 19 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]1283764[/snapback]</div>
I'm pretty sure one side of the cape was dipped into a coating thing, to create the appearance of that vinyl surface. I have an article that talks all about it, I believe it says what materials it was made of too.
EDIT: Here's what is says about the cape.
[/b]

Yeah, that's about the same thing I read but I think what I saw was a different interview with the costumer... her name is Louise Mingenbach and she's done a few interviews here and there. The high-speed flutter cape is the one that was polyester.

I'd search the major sites like Super Hero Hype, SciFi, EW, etc. for her name and that might help turn up some info.

The movie guide is the one I'm thinking of. It has one page on the costumes and gives an example of the 60 some odd costumes they used in the movie like the one with longer sleeves used for raised-arm flying scenes. The sleeves were longer so the cuff would always be in the right place on the wrist when Routh raised his arms. Kinda crazy the lengths they went to.

Cool.
Mucho thanks for the article link.

Me thinks going the route they took might not work for little ol' me, may have to come up with a facsimile that looks close....if I even get to doing this thing.

"Milliskin, a type of cloth, was used as the material of Superman's suit. Unfortunately, this cloth restricts movement when new. Worse, it sags after being worn and becoming comfortable. As a result, 80 suits, 100 capes, 30 boots and 90 belts were made."

According to IMDb

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back