Superior Spiderman + Spider Gwen Dual Build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by yoopees, Jul 11, 2015.

1. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

I've been wanting to do this build for sometime now. My wife and I rarely do "couples" cosplays, and with Hawaiian comic-con coming here in September, I thought about doing it and hopefully meet with Stan Lee.

I will update this thread as much as I can, but so far this is the initial builds I/we are currently working on.

I've been in talks with cha0tic for a while (thanks cha0tic for answer all my questions and concerns) and hired him to sew both suits.
    After initially "hiring" cha0tic, both my wife and I did a lot of "research" regarding Spider-Gwen's shoes.

We decided on the color and started to do some testing. We went out to our local crafts store and bought some mermaid blue acrylic paint and some cheap stiff paint brushes.
    IMG_4352.JPG
    Instead of buying a new pair of flats (it was sort of difficult to find the right color flats), we decided to convert my wife's black chucks and started painting it. This is a test coat (1st layer) to see if the paint will adhere to the rubber material. Waiting for the initial coat to dry and will do a 2nd coat tonight and will upload the pictures --stay tuned--
    IMG_4356.JPG
    I am also going to "tweak" the shoes a bit by adding/drawing white "webbing" to the front of the shoes. I just think it looks super plain, so we are adding a bit of "flavor"

I am also in talks with TJack for his famous TASM2 domed faceshell. I believe it will get the correct "curvature" we desire and it's also awesome looking. Once purchased and when I receive it, I will tweak the shell a bit for my wifes as the black might show through the mask.

2. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Close up of the wife hard at work (she is wearing shorts) on the conversion of the shoes
    IMG_4357.JPG

First shoe is done! Letting it dry and will add a second coat and then the white webbings!! Looks a bit dark due to the cell phone camera, but it is "mermaid blue"
    IMG_4360.JPG

3. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

After doing the initial webbing, both my wife and I are kinda like :\
    What do you guys/gals think?
    IMG_4362.JPG

4. KidHaru

KidHaru Member

I kinda like the webbing but knowing my personal habits, I'd suggest holding off on webbing until the other costume pieces are done. That way you can see how it all works together.

Also Hello, D.

-Devin

5. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My wife and I are also doing a Spider Gwen and Superior Spiderman build, best of luck.

6. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

You founded me!! I'm the same way, but I got a little creative and I just had to see what it looks like.

Sweet! Any recommendations regarding Gwens shoes? Or will you( your waifu) be wearing flats?

7. RiotJavelinDX

We're probably going to use these with some gel inserts

Nine West Women's Royalli Suede Ballet Flat, Turquoise/Turquoise, 10 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U8JIUQE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_5tPOvbA21BD7E

8. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Hmmm, i like the colors, but i dont like the price lol $59.00 + tax :\
    I think our biggest issue now is getting "fit" enough, but at the same time i think we are fit enough

I stand 5'6 athletic build weight 150lbs
    waifu stands 5'2 athletic/bodybuilding (figure building) build weight 145lbs

most likely she will look a lot better in the suit because of her natural muscles lol. hopefully in a few months before the con i will gain the additional 10lbs and she will probably gain another 5lbs

9. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Changed the webbing style on the shoes. I think this way looks way better!
    image1.JPG

KidHaru likes this.
  10. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

I am going to add the spiderman webshooter, but I feel like i'd get kicked out of the con lol I am going to find a way to tweek it a bit to fit under the suit, if anything I may just wear it above :D
    webbing.jpeg

11. RiotJavelinDX

12. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

RiotJavelinDX likes this.
  13. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

I've been following RiotJavelinDX and his build is just so much more "superior" (sorry I had too)
    The waifu and I are going to TRY and sculpt the "backpack" of my superior spiderman this weekend. This is the reference picture we will be using.
    tumblr_n32lhkoaph1sdxmr7o3_1280.jpg

Going to modify it a little bit, but lets see how it goes :popcorn

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  14. RiotJavelinDX

I have an art book from Humberto Ramos (who drew the series) with good drawings of the pack if you would like me to upload them.

yoopees likes this.
  15. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Yeah! That would help a lot! Mucho Gracias!!

16. RiotJavelinDX

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know if the links don't work

yoopees likes this.
  17. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

18. RiotJavelinDX

No problem at all

19. Iracel

Iracel Well-Known Member

I have to say this. Your lady has calves for days.

yoopees likes this.
  20. IAmTheClayman

IAmTheClayman Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

21. Timey Wimey

Timey Wimey Active Member

Characterization. It's symbolic and present in every comic. There is occasionally some math to it but it's never symmetrical.

22. RiotJavelinDX

It's not Stegman, it's Humberto Ramos. They are drawn like that to convey Parker (Doc Ock's) mental imbalance, it's supposed to be a hint to those who really know Peter that something isn't right.

23. IAmTheClayman

IAmTheClayman Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I already liked the Superior design, but that one little touch makes it 100x better. Thanks for pointing that out

24. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Hahha, she never skips leg day XD

25. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

a small, but "big" update.
    Just received TJack's faceshell. I chose to get the rubber frames as I didn't have a heat gun in my possession. Will upload pictures of the "finished" faceshell :D for both waifu and I :popcorn

Edit**
    Got to say, these rubber frame are pretty awesome. Cannot wait to start affixing the lenses.

11815954_10153169913290857_41591270_n.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  26. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

So I did some minor cutting of the faceshell. Will work on the breathing/sweat holes this weekend.
    Sidenote: what do you all wear to "hide" your superhero bulge? I have a dancers belt, but still pretty "revealing" and just bought some compression shorts with a cup attachment.

image.jpg
    11844127_10153172513780857_900860543_n.jpg

Did a test fit of one of the lens and frames...not too shabby :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  27. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

finished 1 of the 2 faceshells. Did a test fit on one of my old suits :) Will do spider gwen sometime today or tomorrow. Need to paint the frames. After that, it's somewhat finished. Just awaiting on the suit to be finished by cha0tic and we are 90% done. Might do some pen lining like lunaman did with his :)
    11825948_10153175996510857_1217769250506588682_n.jpg

28. Daftpunk

Daftpunk Jr Member

Cha0tic's doing my costume as well at the moment

29. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

11886575_10153212874950857_495352570_o.jpg 11926018_10153212875015857_1153320345_o.jpg
    Small update. Got some pictures from cha0tic regarding my 2 suits. Waifu 's gwen and my superior. Love how the light reflects on it. Cannot wait to wear this to the con!!

30. cha0tic

cha0tic Active Member

Will provide more pictures if you'd like. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The reason for the orange coloring is I believe it should be done how its suppose to do, it is gunheads pattern though so credit to gunhead.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. RiotJavelinDX

Looks good

32. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Update.
    Got my suits from cha0tic. Here is the waifu with her gwen minus the mask (buff gwen ;O ) Ignore the mess, that's our guest room. Mine will be shown this weekend (maybe...have some things to work on)
    [​IMG]

33. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Did some playing around with just the face part of superior

version 1 frontal:
    [​IMG]

version 1 side:
    [​IMG]

version 2 front:
    [​IMG]

version 2 side:
    [​IMG]

as you can see, version 1, the centre web is on the crown of my forehead instead of the bridge or in between my eyes. the side profile of version 1 i have little to no neck.

version 2 is WAY better, still have to put the whole suit on and play around with it. I think i can make it work :)

34. spiderlane

spiderlane New Member

Just a suggestion, but I would buy a styrofoam head from Michael's, Jo Ann Fabric, Hobby Lobby or a similar store so you can actually see what you're doing before cutting out eye-holes.

35. RiotJavelinDX

Looks good

36. Snakenator9

Snakenator9 Jr Member

Really nice looking so far! As for the superhero bulge, I usually wear two jammers (basically speedo with legs down to just above the knee). I usually get a size larger just to make sure it doesn't get too tight. It works fine, really hides pretty well, though it can be a little uncomfortable after wearing for a really long time.

37. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

For sure! I was thinking about that was well. Thanks for the suggestion! I think my biggest issue is the centre web when fully wearing the suit. This is the best I could do with the situation at hand. Not bad, but not good either. Still figuring out before the con this friday...

Thanks! Sadly, it doesnt look as good when I put the whole suit on. May have to forego this idea for now, but we shall see.

I got myself a dancers belt with full seat and it "covers" nicely lol. It is a bit uncomfortable to wear even when i only had it on for less than 30 minutes last night.....hopefully the con shouldn't affect me THAT much...**fingers crossed.

And on that note. I did put on the suit completely last night and I think this is the best I could get. It's not "accurate" by any means, but I still feel like the centre web should be shifted down a bit more, but we shall see before I cut the eye holes.

Side profile
    [​IMG]

Frontal profile
    [​IMG]

38. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

So I decided to make the lens darker and I feel it made to conceal my eyes a lot better

right with the tape is tinted darker and the left is the default how TJack has it. It does look nice default but I didn't want anyone to see my eyeballs

[​IMG]

39. MegaLEGOFilms

MegaLEGOFilms Well-Known Member

Hows the visibility through them now, and how did you tint them?

40. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Vis isn't all too bad! I used a spray tint that is usually used for smoking out tail lights. Got a can of it which roughly costs $10~$20 bucks depending on which automotive place you buy it from.

I put on 3 coats total (finished the 3rd this morning and will check on it at lunch) and ill put it on my faceshell and see fully how good or bad it will be lol.

41. TJack

TJack Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Suits are looking great :)

That's the same stuff I use with the Superior Spiderman lenses in my thread (the curved domes, not the goggle styled ones). Like you said, visibility isn't too bad, but not that great either, lol

The other option is to apply a fine mesh (painted black) to cover the eyeholes on the faceshell - this will also help to hide your eyes from others.

42. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

Sweet! I think I might do that with my other suit once I fix my superior :)

side note here's the lens after a few coats
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  43. Daftpunk

Daftpunk Jr Member

Trying to get the mask centre with the web lines in the right place sure is a pain

44. saraahjohnston

saraahjohnston New Member

Could you post the visibility with the new tint?

45. perniciousp

perniciousp Jr Member

I'd also like to see the visibility after using the spray tint!

46. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

I actually couldnt wear the suit sadly :( but when I tried, the vis actually sucked lol. I think 3 coats was WAY to much and I couldnt see jack! hahaha Maybe 1 coat would be best.

47. perniciousp

perniciousp Jr Member

Good to know!

48. yoopees

yoopees Active Member

No problem! Luckily cha0tic is one of the few persons who i've dealt with is helping me to adjust. He has bee more then accommodating and will update as I go. There is still hope for this suit (i hope) if not, then i may just work on my mark bagley ultimate spiderman

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018