SuperGirl - Omegahedron

Nasa

Untitled-1.jpghttps://vimeo.com/101509167

Does anyone remember this prop from the late 1980 film Supergirl???? I have managed to create a working 3D model of an Omegahedron as its referred to, which I am currently re-producing in metal and my aim is to try and use what they did in the movie only allow it to be more robust and less cumbersome in terms of the mechanical components. It rotates within the users hand and glows with a light source as well. I will post the completed prop along with a 'making of' soon so hope if there are any fans out there, hope you like it.

Attachments

• Omegahedron.JPG
    Omegahedron.JPG
    683.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Blimey, its been a long time since I've seen that film! Great object to make though.. Are you machining the metal yourself or going the 3d printed in metal at shapeways route? I just found some pics of the actual spinning Omegahedron used in the film and its surprisingly rough, but then If its spinning you dont get to see any detail anyway so making the effort of making it pretty would be wasted time. SFX Spinning Omegahedron | Prop Store - Ultimate Movie Collectables

I saw the screen used tracker bracelet in Metropolis IL.
I thought they had the omegahedron as well but did not see it this trip.

Hey,

yeah I also found the images through the Prop Store as well and the first thing that struck me was not so much how rough it looked, but how on earth did they manage to hide all that motors and wires dangling from below? There were scenes in that film where the ball was spinning on one hand and in front of the camera so very little room to use any tricks. Unless it was some sort of blue screen effect.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back