Super Pred Retractable Blade - How?

LadyZero

Hi everyone,

I've searched around and couldn't find a thread on this so I hope you don't mind me asking daft questions, lol.

I've seen things on how to make wristblades that flick out but nothing on how to make a blade that slides out, a la Predators. I'd like to make one for my super-cheap Falconer, mainly for the practical purposes of not gouging people at conventions when you greet them, so I can actually retrieve things from pockets without having to remove it and also for easy storage and transport.

The idea I had was a three-sectioned blade with each part decreasing in size as you get nearer the tip, so effectively the sections slide into each other, and some kind of long string running down the centre of the blade and through the arm attachment. This string could then be pulled to gather the sections together up in the arm attachment and be secured at the top with a knot. Yes you'd have string dangling around and have to undo the knot if you wanted to extend the blade, but I can't think of a better way to do it. And the only example I can give of what this idea is based on is those cheap lightsaber toys that you can get, like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extending-Retracting-Style-Lightsaber-Laser/dp/B003LHSFE2

So I'd like some assistance, if I may pick the Lair's collective brains for this! Has anyone ever made a retracting blade before or has it just been ones that flick out?

Thank you!

Lady over and out :)

Hi everyone,

I've searched around and couldn't find a thread on this so I hope you don't mind me asking daft questions, lol.

I've seen things on how to make wristblades that flick out but nothing on how to make a blade that slides out, a la Predators. I'd like to make one for my super-cheap Falconer, mainly for the practical purposes of not gouging people at conventions when you greet them, so I can actually retrieve things from pockets without having to remove it and also for easy storage and transport.

The idea I had was a three-sectioned blade with each part decreasing in size as you get nearer the tip, so effectively the sections slide into each other, and some kind of long string running down the centre of the blade and through the arm attachment. This string could then be pulled to gather the sections together up in the arm attachment and be secured at the top with a knot. Yes you'd have string dangling around and have to undo the knot if you wanted to extend the blade, but I can't think of a better way to do it. And the only example I can give of what this idea is based on is those cheap lightsaber toys that you can get, like this one: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003LHSFE2

So I'd like some assistance, if I may pick the Lair's collective brains for this! Has anyone ever made a retracting blade before or has it just been ones that flick out?

Thank you!

Lady over and out :)

as soon as i read the line about it getting smaller at the tip, i had the answer. go online or in your local chinese district and purchase a tai chi sword. they extend in and out rather nicely. sharpen the end of it to make it more pred-like. once thats done, remove the handle that looks like a sword handle. put it in your desired housing and whenever you want it to extend throw your wrist down like you would a toy lightsaber. if you like this, send me a pm. i wanna know watcha think. :) glad to be of service. cityhunter96

I got a cheap generic halloween lightsaber and squeesed both sides so it would appear to have an edge - the hot glued a foamie tip to it togive ti that wicked end.. not movie accurate - but it worked about the same.

I was going to apply the same design princaple of a telescoping blade to create a more accurate PVC one this year - but in the end i opted for a classic p1 dual blade since its more iconic.

Oh - I forgot -- There is a plastic telescopic sword blade - an optimus prime sword from toys r us - its blue with some detail - kinda thinck but has a more sword edge to it. Cleaned up and with a few accents added - ti could do the job like the Tai Chi swords - only its definatly non lethal non weapon quality so safe to take around with no legal issues depending on what your local laws are

Huh, interesting ideas from both of you, thank you. Being in the UK people here tend to flip out at metal blades so a tai chi sword, even a practice one, is probably out of the question. I will probably see if I can get creative with cardboard before spending actual Money on anything as well.

Thank you, both good ideas.

best of luck hope it turns out well for ya. i dont rlly have any ideas for it being telescopic. but if all else fails could always go the cd rollers way. using the motor etc.

This toy sword you might be the one your looking for, though might have to get it from the States.

http://www.amazon.com/ThunderCats-Deluxe-Sword-Of-Omens/dp/B004UFHHCK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1321997156&sr=1-1

Hope it helps

Jason

Ahh I am a bad girl, Ancient One, I saw your PM, read it and failed to reply ><

Thank you for that, but I think I've come up with a solution now that I can make from scratch. If it is epic fail then I'll just make it foldable so I can tuck it away in a pocket. I can do folding xD or failing even that then I'll just have it removable and my friend will just have to carry it!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back