Super Mario Maker - Show your levels!

KrangPrime

Master Member
With the game coming out in a few weeks, figured a master thread might be in order.

I'mhonestly surprised it took them so long to come out with this. I would love to see how they designed and made the real SMB NES games.

And I've gotta say, GREAT use of the game pad! Pretty neat amiibo support as well although I'm really waiting for them to use those properly.

Reviews are cropping up and it's looking solid!

Nintendolife: 10/10
IGN.com: 9/10
Metacritic: 4.5/5
Gamespot: 9/10
Kotaku: PLAY THIS GAME

So, any ideas on how to make an RPF themed level?

I think we'll see some really creative stuff... And a whole bunch of crap. :lol

Still though, SUPER fun times ahead!

like giant army's of bowserts that fly through the brick block walls?

come on people. sure, that stuff is tempting to do. but, for those of us who don't know how to modify emulators to make our own levels (something I'd still like to know how to do), this is the first chance to really build some difficult stages. After playing Supermario Galaxy 2 and finally getting around to beating it after 5 years (picked it up twice and never got back to it after sandy)...Super Mario Wii seems painfully slow and boring in comparison. it also doesn't move as fast as past mario games.

start posting! I'm at the beach and the U is at home, so I won't be able to play it for another week ;o) shame it doesn't work on the wii

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know my first level in Super Mario Maker has been completed and uploaded! To give you a heads up, I'm not skipping or jumping the 'progress' stages since I like starting slow so I apologize if the level is kind of lackluster. I hope you enjoy it!

J1-1 Flying Coin Valley
3D46-0000-0022-BBD0

COMMENTARY
The inspiration for this level naturally comes from the first world outdoor levels of the original NES Mario game. When making this level, I wanted to accomplish three goals.

1. Set a theme for the level
2. Make the difficulty very passable
3. Have Progressive Power-Ups

The theme for this level is flying coins, which you right off the bat when you start. Pay close attention to the first flying coin you see to get a hint. The objective with the flying coins was to make them part of the environment more so than something you should outright collect. In my mind, this is where flying coins live!

The difficulty was an interesting one because I didn't set out to get Super Mario Maker to make "Kaizo Mario World" levels. I wanted to make fun levels. So when it came to areas like the Piranha Plants, I set up unreachable areas to foreshadow their eventual appearance. The flying block obstacle was one area I went back and forth on because I wanted to know how many blocks would be needed to get safely passed, especially since I introduce the Lakitu at the start of the obstacle. I originally started out with just three blocks but decided more was needed for such an early level. To add a bit of distraction incase it was too easy, I placed static coins above the area.

The other area that I hope Nintendo eventually patches is the 'progressive power-ups' ability. Unlike EVERY MARIO GAME EVER MADE, Super Mario Maker does not allow Mario to get power-ups in a progress like way. For example, in all the original Mario games you have to obtain the Super Mushroom to become Super Mario in order to get the Fire-Flower. In Super Mario Maker, it doesn't matter what state Mario is in. If you place a Fire-Flower somewhere in the stage, Mario will get it whether he's regular Mario or Super Mario. To counter this, I added an obstacle early in the level where you have to get the Super Mushroom in order to progress and added two extra bonuses if you manage to stay in Super form for that long. Doing this was easy as all I needed to do was place destructible bricks underneath the "?" blocks. So if you're regular Mario, you won't get the bonuses but you can still beat the level at this stage.

Maybe when more tools and tricks are unlocked I'll revisit this stage sometime in the future. I'd love to add more flavor to it!

Here is my castle stage dubbed "Bowser's Pursuit Special". It's a course I've spent a whole two weeks on and after figuring out what you can actually do with Bowser, I essentially built the course around that. This is version 2.0 as I thought the previously uploaded level was a bit short, hard and the final confrontation with Bowser a bit unrefined. Hopefully this one comes off more as a complete level.

J1-4 Bowser's Pursuit Special V2
5D05-0000-0059-5083

hey everyone.. I finally got around to it. I uploaded two of the courses for your enjoyment, but here is a little video.
I try to design them like a real mario level with a super mario brothers 2 level of difficulty. I try not to go all crazy with enemy placement, unless there is a challenge to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey everyone.. I finally got around to it. I uploaded two of the courses for your enjoyment, but here is a little video.
I try to design them like a real mario level with a super mario brothers 2 level of difficulty. I try not to go all crazy with enemy placement, unless there is a challenge to it.

Codes NeilT! We need codes to play them!

one shell to squash them all
198E-0000-0058-EB70

obstacle run
BA95-0000-59-1837

had some more time to play with it..still figuring things out and cheating by advancing the clock.

I wish the Goombas and Troopas would stay in the air when you give them wings. I want to use them as jump obstacles, but they keep on falling to the ground!
I also wish you could adjust the timing on things, like when the flame throwers go off. I could make a few more fun jumps if I could control more things.
reached my upload limit, but my latest one, Koopa Magic is one of my favorites so far.......'Cheep Death' could have been made harder, but you get the option of doing it the easy way, or trying a level as tough as the tmnt dam level... at least that was my inspiration.

I wish the Goombas and Troopas would stay in the air when you give them wings. I want to use them as jump obstacles, but they keep on falling to the ground!
Shake'em. Shaking a Koopa Troopa with wings turns it into a Red Koopa with Wings. They may go up and down, but they do stay in place and that's a standard for how they work in Mario.

I also wish you could adjust the timing on things, like when the flame throwers go off.
Same with Koopa Troopas. Shake the flame jet. When you see the jet is outlined, that means it's on a different sequence. Hope this helps.

reached my upload limit, but my latest one, Koopa Magic is one of my favorites so far.
Stop talking about your levels and post the level codes. We can't find you in 'makers' unless you're one of the really popular ones.

Oh, now I get it. Neil has me blocked. Could someone make a post asking him to list the codes to his levels? It's the first important step in finding a user who you can than follow since you can only search for levels.

Still messing around with it...trying to decide what levels to keep uploaded and what new ones to replace them with, so still trying to decide whatto make public.....but here
is some more video as I try to figure everything out...

I skipped ahead and found the unlocked sub world. apparently now everything is at my disposal. so will take a few more days to get used to it.
but so far i've designed four worlds of levels. and I havn't gotten bored with it yet, so that's a good sign. was kind of hoping i'd see a bunch of users posting more worlds by now ;o)..

12039517_10153560597925211_6710228288673201247_n.jpg

Some codes...some of these levels may get deleted and fixed, but i'm happy with most...now that i know what i'm doing. since it's a platformer, my levels will focus on timed jumps.
and try to be as close to a mario game as possible without getting to crazy.

If you want to play some of my levels, would appreciate feed back.

Follow the coin road
45C6-0000-007a-3c93

Obstacle Course is back
C33B-000-007A-3490

speed run -
a11-0000-0073-4188

one shell to squash them all -
d6a9-0000-0073-2b2e

subternia - another favorite
66dd-0000-006a-63ed

fire run -
b204-0000-006a-5953

Floating Dangers - hardest level yet......no safe zones.
4415-0000-006a-52a3

cheep death
a8e6-0000-005c-be3e

Plumbers can't jump
cd5f-0000-005c-pfc4

two paths one choice(people seem to like this one for some reason)
4f03-0000-005a-80e0

Last edited:

I had the same idea myself.....

I havn't had time to explore to many of the other levels.... but I HATE it when people go crazy or sadistic in their design. there was one level where if you accidentally dropped down between two pipes, and tried to jump up, you couldn't get out because of invisible blocks. Even Japanese mario two wouldn't have done that.

the only one I found so far just by random that actually felt like a mario level was called 'ultimate life form'..and even then, all these damn channel comments popping up made it almost un playable, becaues you couldn't see what the hell you where doing!

and these seem to be the more popular levels. hopefully when the games been out for a while, people will grow tired of the crazy, sadistic stuff, and just go basic level design. nintendo will never have to release another game again :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back