Super Mario Brothers 1985

KrangPrime

Master Member
Just as a side note, how many fellow geeks still have not beaten this game? Zelda I can understand, but I'm amazed at how many still have not beaten the original SMB!

Seriously? Out of curiousity, do you guys play current games at all? SMB is pretty rudimentary, especially if you can hack newer 3D platformers.

I've finished the game, but only once, I believe. I've certainly played the game enough times over the years!

The real challenge is beating SMB2, and I mean the real SMB2, not the watered down US version. :p

I've finished the game, but only once, I believe. I've certainly played the game enough times over the years!

The real challenge is beating SMB2, and I mean the real SMB2, not the watered down US version. :p

I never knew what difficult was until I played that as part of the Super Mario All Stars cartridge.

The second game everyone has a right to not finish. It's no wonder they decided to replace it with something a little easier, but damn if it wasn't a fun thing to try and conquer! I believe I've only gotten all through it once!

But the first one is almost like video game training wheels designed to hone your reflexes :). I'm also curious if those who haven't beaten it arn't casual gamers of today...or just never really gotten into games..

I beat SMB a few times when I was seven. Granted, that was the year I got my NES (my first video game console ever), so I was pretty entranced by it all and didn't do much else that summer. I haven't beaten it since.

But I HAVE managed to beat A Boy And His Blob, Ninja Gaiden, and Star Tropics. I'm pretty proud of that. Those games tortured me as a child.

And yes, I am still an avid gamer, I keep up to date with the current gen releases, and I still play the older games. In fact I just replayed through Super Mario RPG, and I finished A Link to the Past for the millionth time.

Last edited:
I still find it difficult to believe ANYONE beat Master Blaster before ROMs were invented. Having to beat that whole game without being able to save was torture.

When SMB3 came out, I played the game from start to finish in ONE sitting.

My wife thought I had lost my mind.

It took me about 36 hours straight to do it.

i used to be able to beat the console version of SMB in no time flat, now i have a real fullsize arcade version of it and its waaaay harder, designed to gobble up quarters..even though i can always hit the quarter button its so much harder standing in front and using the buttons and joystick..im used to the NES controller and my thumbs..making the controller jump when Mario did..ive even told my son and friends you show me you beating this arcade game and ill give you 20 dollars...

Used to be able to beat the original in under 10 mins (using warps). I must admit my favourite "new" console game is New Super Mario Brothers Wii. LOVE that old school gaming experience. :D

How many have beaten Ghost and Goblins?....i hate that game.
I did once out of 100 tries that game was a hard mother ...I have beat all 3 Mario's for the NES,back in the old days when we had winter for 6 months out of the year it was easy to stay inside and game all day.

Oddly enough, I've beaten #2 and #3 but never the original. I never liked the game play of the 1st one so I could never go very far without getting annoyed. I love playing #3 though, can't tell you how many times I've played through it; with and without all the whistles. Same goes for Legend of Zelda; I'll get the hankering to play and next thing you know I'll be on an all night bender to finish the damn thing.

If I ever wanted to beat Mario Bro's, I'll just program a robot to do it for me. Like this one:

NESBot - NES playing robot beating Super Mario Bros. - YouTube

:lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back