super cheap EOD helmet build now painted!!!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

MrGzilla

so ive been working on this for about 3 days now and its made of cardboard. im going up to dragoncon next weekend and ill be stopping by the engeneer guy to get some smoothcast to slosh around on the inside to harden it but im kind unsure about what to do on the top of it. i had some plumbers putty that i was using to fill gaps with but it turned out that it didnt dry so i had to scrape all of that off and started over with wood filler, but since the helmet isnt hard its started to crack in places. im trying to avoid anything that has a strong smell to it because im doing this in my dorm room so bondo isnt really an option. does anyone know of a cheep subtritute for wood filler thats stronger? anyways, heres some pics of the build.

let me know what you think and please any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

PepMaster

Sr Member
Re: super cheep EOD helmet build

Very, Very Nice for being made out of soda can boxes. Makes me want to cut up some soda boxes now and try it myself. What are you planning to coat it with to hide the cuts? If you're planning bondo that could be hard to sand I've heard of people using sheetrock putty as being a easier alternative.

MrGzilla

Very, Very Nice for being made out of soda can boxes. Makes me want to cut up some soda boxes now and try it myself. What are you planning to coat it with to hide the cuts? If you're planning bondo that could be hard to sand I've heard of people using sheetrock putty as being a easier alternative.

thanks, its a pep file that i traced onto cardboard and modified a bit, ive done 2 other pep halo helmets using cardstock and fiberglass aqua resin but this time im going for something cheeper and easier. the wood filler im using now is basicly the same as the sheetrock stuff i think, but its cracking up in places because its not fully rigid yet.

PepMaster

Sr Member

Add a little water to the putty, mix and put a coat on, it won't crack might take a little longer to dry out but once dry, coat with resin to protect it.

MrGzilla

Add a little water to the putty, mix and put a coat on, it won't crack might take a little longer to dry out but once dry, coat with resin to protect it.
thanks, but im trying to stay away from coating the top in resin, its just so much sanding to do after, that and i dont have anywhere near me other than home depot or lowes.

next weekend ill be back in atlanta for dcon and i was gonna get some smoothcast from the engereer guy to coat the inside to make it hard instead of fiberglass.

PepMaster

Sr Member

Yeah that'll work for the inside. Ok since you don't have resin for the outside try using a clear laquer spray to coat it to protect it from chipping and cracking.

MrGzilla

Yeah that'll work for the inside. Ok since you don't have resin for the outside try using a clear laquer spray to coat it to protect it from chipping and cracking.
ok, thanks! that sounds good

MrGzilla

heres a little update, i watered down the wood filler a bit and its working pretty good.

i dont have much sand paper at the moment so i cant really sand it now.

acloud

Needs work...I'm a little disappointed. But I'm looking forward to see the finished product!
<3

MrGzilla

Needs work...I'm a little disappointed. But I'm looking forward to see the finished product!
<3
i guess ill have to try harder next time... xD
haha but i cant wait to show you in person!

Stymie924

Re: super cheap EOD helmet build

I think it's looking really good. Sanding is a pain though. Sand, fill, sand, fill, sand... Repeat until smooth. I have to say though, you have a great start. Can't wait to see more.

MrGzilla

I think it's looking really good. Sanding is a pain though. Sand, fill, sand, fill, sand... Repeat until smooth. I have to say though, you have a great start. Can't wait to see more.
thanks! and yeah, sanding and filling is a pain in the ass, ive made 2 other helmets and various parts of the armor so im used to it though XD
this is the first time i havent used resin on the outside though, im testing out this method to see if its any easier.

MrGzilla

heres a quick update, ive just been doing more filling and sanding and its starting to look pretty good, but i just ran out of wood filler and literaly have no money right now so itll be after the weekend before ill be able to work anymore on it.

MrGzilla

Re: super cheap EOD helmet build HUGE update!!

ok, so i havent posted anything in a while so i thought i might as well post an update!

i still havent fiberglassed the inside of the helmet but the outside is almost complete.
heres some progress pics:

PhantomRonin

Wow what progress. I would have never guessed it was made from cardboard. Can't wait to see it painted up.

MrGzilla

Wow what progress. I would have never guessed it was made from cardboard. Can't wait to see it painted up.
thanks allot! im going to paintit in the same black/silver/gunmettal color that the figure is.
itll be ready for paint soon, i just dont know if i should paint it before i fiberglass it.

MrGzilla

ok, so i went ahead and painted it as it might be a while before ill be able to resin/fiberglass the inside so here it is!

heres the painting process. sorry theres a few steps near the end missing.

and here it is completely painted with the eyes in