Super 8 Cube

Especially when QMx has a presence on this board - sounds like a smart decision. They read everything I write, I know that much!

Love ya, Andy!

Saw it yesterday and wondered who'd be working on these. When it started shaking on screen it reminded me of those dog toy balls with the spikey things on that shake. It's called a Bumble Ball and it vibrates like crazy. The insides would be too big to fit into one of these cubes but they do make a Mini Bumble Ball that would work for the shaking/moving around effect

Last edited:
Paramount dropped the C&D. Case closed for fan made cubes. QMx is going to offer replicas of the cubes soon. Hopefully from molds made off of the screen used cubes. I'm beginning to think it's a waste of time to replicate props from new films unless of course it's for yourself only.

QMx is making them? Is there any announcement anywhere? Doesn't most of their stuff end up as vaporware though? :(

Ah, there it is: http://www.qmxonline.com/news/qmx-to-develop-super-8-replicas-maquettes-and-collectibles/

YoungPaddy1 - can you tell me more about the cubes that Paramount handed out? Where was this? Comicon? Very intrigued by this! :) Thanks! - alice.

As far as I know 5 cubes have been sent out to 5 lucky individuals who won at the ARG either through beating the games and doing well in the tests on rocketpoppeteers or by being the most helpful/willing participants in the ARG as a whole or both.
that one up there is from punxtr. There was also a wallpaper on the site with cartoon likenesses of the winners.

I don't care if they're making them. I saw that prop in the movie this weekend and said to my girlfriend, "I need to make one of those".

I will carry one of those around at Dragon Con this year. :love

The movie comes out on DVD mid October...will it be available around then? If not, they are going to miss a huge customer demand over this piece. I hope there's a marketing guy pounding his fist over there at QMX.

Details on QMX's Argus cube replica. Only $15! :D

https://store.qmxonline.com/Super-8-Argus-Cube-Replica_p_158.html

Argus_Cube-1.jpg

So what is "polystone" supposed to mean? Is that just BS for "resin"?

And how are they making these? A six-part mold?

Polystone is a compound made up largely of polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives that give it added weight and the porcelain or "stone-like" feel that resulted in the materials name itself. Polystone is durable and highly effective at maintaining a sharp paint finish. Unlike porcelain which is fired in an oven, Polystone is a cold-cast material in which no heat is used in the manufacturing process, resulting in much greater variations of paint finish.

Read more: What is polystone

It's the same material sideshow use on many busts and statues.

Can't wait for this to come out. I rented the movie this afternoon and just watched it this evening for the first time with my kids. THAT was just such an awesome movie, quite a few geeky moments that just resonated with my time with my friends at that time and age. Even better was the racoon up on our roof while we were watching the movie making tapping noises, just added to the "what the heck is that" mentality while watching the film. Had t stop the film to see what really was making the noise on our ceiling. Great that I can purchase the QMX cubes for my kids and myself now, makes this all the better with the timing.

Last edited:
Can't wait for his one to come out. It would be nice if QMX would do a hero version that vibrated and was predominat in the close-up shots in the film. Not only that, give it a display like the 5 that were given away (the ones mentioned earlier in this thread).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back