Suggestions For Prop(s) Using Leather Scraps?

a438980

A couple of years ago I bought a large side of brown leather and have pretty much left it rolled-up in a closet or garage since then. I used some of it to make leather ears, straps, and saddle for a rocking horse that's going to be given to my niece but I don't want to waste the scraps or the rest of the leather and thought there must be some good props I could make with it. It's too thick to make clothing out of, is smooth on one side and semi-sueded on the other, and is dark brown in color.
IMG_0300[1].JPG
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I bought a big thing of scrap leather from Tandy years ago. I don't know what I was thinking because it was a bunch. I also have no clue what to use it for!

I have a massive box of scraps and I am always trying to find uses for them. If you have a bunch, you can start to assemble some "patchwork" type pieces that can give very interesting profiles and looks (like a Frankenstein's monster type product). You said it is too thick for clothes, but armor might be an interesting application. Still, I often find the stuff is useful when need to add padding in small hidden places (inside helmets, to smooth internal rough finishes). A search in the leather section of Deviant Art might also give some fantastic inspiration for small projects to which scrap might contribute. I recently used some leather scrap to make a watchband for a friend. Even thick leather can be shaved down and used as handle wrapping for a whole mess of cool projects.

Unfortunately I think it's a bit too think for that. Good idea though. I may not have a Tardis but a votex manipulator would nice.

I have a massive box of scraps and I am always trying to find uses for them. If you have a bunch, you can start to assemble some "patchwork" type pieces that can give very interesting profiles and looks (like a Frankenstein's monster type product). You said it is too thick for clothes, but armor might be an interesting application. Still, I often find the stuff is useful when need to add padding in small hidden places (inside helmets, to smooth internal rough finishes). A search in the leather section of Deviant Art might also give some fantastic inspiration for small projects to which scrap might contribute. I recently used some leather scrap to make a watchband for a friend. Even thick leather can be shaved down and used as handle wrapping for a whole mess of cool projects.
Maybe some bracers would be cool. I could probably get some armor ideas from Morrowind or Oblivion. I might have to look into how to trim it down so I can use it to make a good handle for a replica of Mjolnir from the Thor & Avengers movies.

A skiver would make the shaving easier if you can get one; however, if you want to avoid buying tools, sandpaper can work (makes a bit mess and can hurt the leather depending on what it is. I have sanded Veggie tanned leather, but not other stuff. Still it should be possible

A skiver would make the shaving easier if you can get one; however, if you want to avoid buying tools, sandpaper can work (makes a bit mess and can hurt the leather depending on what it is. I have sanded Veggie tanned leather, but not other stuff. Still it should be possible

I'm definitely all about using the tools I already have, and I used a sanding tool on my dremel to try to thin and soften the ears of the rocking horse so I know what you mean about it making a mess. What I tried didn't seem to make the leather any softer but it did heat it up from the friction, which made it more pliable for a short time.

Dremel is probably too fast. A sanding block and some time can get you good results if you are careful (again, I cannot tell what kind of leather your have, but test it on a small section). You can also make a skiver out of a sharp place (box cutting type) but you should be very careful with such a device, as it can bite into the leather and cut rather than scrape. Veggie tanned leather can get flexible in water, but your stuff looks oil tanned, so I wouldnt recommend that. If you can mold it in water and have it keep a shape (and even if you cant) masks are a great leather craft. Soft leather bandit masks or "gas mask" type pieces can be fun and tied to some films or games.

Dremel is probably too fast. A sanding block and some time can get you good results if you are careful (again, I cannot tell what kind of leather your have, but test it on a small section). You can also make a skiver out of a sharp place (box cutting type) but you should be very careful with such a device, as it can bite into the leather and cut rather than scrape. Veggie tanned leather can get flexible in water, but your stuff looks oil tanned, so I wouldnt recommend that. If you can mold it in water and have it keep a shape (and even if you cant) masks are a great leather craft. Soft leather bandit masks or "gas mask" type pieces can be fun and tied to some films or games.

It's definitely oil tanned leather, which is one of the few things I know about it other than it's from a cow vs ostrich or gator and is brown. I've been cleaning my garage/workshop the last few days and did find a block plane which looks like it may work in place of a skiver. I'll give it a try sometime next week, when I can actually get to my workbench, and let you know how it turns out. I appreciate the suggestion on using DeviantArt for ideas, but most of what I found is either intricate masks (too complicated for a novice like myself), or fetish images. I did find a couple good ideas though both on there and Pinterest. If nothing else I may just end up making a "movie theatre purse" for my wife which is basically a small pocket for her usual purse items and then thermal and silicone-lined areas for sneaking in popcorn, drinks, and snacks.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back