Suggestions for head armature please!

enygma214

Hi all. I'm still pretty new here and I'm working on a couple of things that hopefully I'll be showing soon.

But first things first. I want to do some clay modeling for some mask ideas that I have but I'm not sure if I should buy a pre-made armature or make one of myself. I've found only one that seems decent and its the one from CFX. I also found that you can purchase it at MonsterMakers. The problem is of course that the brow is 22" in circumference and I've come to know that most people are in the range of 23"-24". I personally am 22 1/2".

So if I later decide to make a run of my sculpts should I stick with the larger size or settle with the CFX 22" size? Do you guys know of any place that I can purchase one with a bigger head? That would make it even easier.

CFX Armature:
3fe5d9d09cf505e49f47230c5876c4e7.jpg

All advise is welcomed! Thanks all!

Last edited:
One thought...the ready made form can save time. If you are forming over the head in clay, and you build out your sculpt enough, your finished piece will be larger than your original armature head anyways right? Depending of course on wht method, and how thick you cast your final piece.

I was actually going to suggest the monster maker's one too. I just wish they made a female one too.
Edit: I just checked the cfx site and glad they have female. The armature price is higher than monster makers though. I'd probably buy the displays they offer on cfx and use it as an armature.

Last edited:
Well I decided on the monster makers armature. I should be receiving it soon. I already have some helmet/mask ideas brewing. What would you guys all like to see if given the chance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is this really an Armature?

I mean isn't it just a bust or a head.

An armature is a mechanical skeleton used for stop motion animation.

...or sometimes the wound bushings of a motor.

Your thinking of one definition of the term. Here is another, or the one being implied here.

A framework serving as a supporting core for the material that is used to make a sculpture.

Is this really an Armature?

I mean isn't it just a bust or a head.

An armature is a mechanical skeleton used for stop motion animation.

...or sometimes the wound bushings of a motor.

Yeah, sure, it's being implied. I just think unless the base is more of frame work than a bust or life mask, it really isn't. Never heard of head being referred to that way is all. Seems different altogether so it should be called something else.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back