Suggestions as to how to go about reparing a Disney-made marketing prop

Pinballsmith

I recently came into possession of a Fix-it Felix Jr. arcade machine prop from The Walt Disney Company. During transit, the side of the cabinet was damaged and has a large hole piercing the cabinet side and the vinyl artwork. I want to make repairs, so I naturally contacted Disney about my situation, waited the 3-4 weeks for a response and I received a very disappointing letter. The letter states that they can only distribute their intellectual property for things The Walt Disney Company creates or has direct affiliation with The Walt Disney Company and that my situation does not meet their parameters. This makes no sense as this was a piece their studio had made for them with artwork that they themselves supplied. I sent a new fax in citing that the reasons they gave me do not apply as this was something that their company had produced. I even sent in more information I have authenticating my piece and even a picture of my actual cabinet being built at the prop/art business they contracted to do the work.

I'm now wondering what I should do if they once again deny my request. I'm tempted to have the good side of my cabinet scanned and have a new piece printed myself, but I'm not sure of the legality of doing so, even if this is something that will be done just for myself to make repairs. Has anyone ever ran into similar issues before?

Also, here's the good side of the cabinet:

FelixGame.jpg

Are you sure this was one of the few made by Disney? Looking at the front speaker port the Disney version had 8 slots yours has 7.

why would it be illegal to scan it and make artwork for the other side for something you own? Just be honest about it if you ever try to sell it.

Are you sure this was one of the few made by Disney? Looking at the front speaker port the Disney version had 8 slots yours has 7.

Most of them had 7 actually. But the speaker grill was all over the place. Every picture I can find that shows more than one machine has different grills on each one. But most have 7 slots, I only found one that had 8...

And there would be no problem with scanning the good side to fix the otherside. That wouldn't even fall under copyright infringement unless you start selling them or something. And more importantly: no one would care that you did it, not even Disney...

Did Disney _officially_ let any of these go? I've seen them at arcade shows and such, so I'm guessing they did, but you might want to make sure you can legally call the whole thing your property before pestering them for artwork... :)

Most of them had 7 actually. But the speaker grill was all over the place. Every picture I can find that shows more than one machine has different grills on each one. But most have 7 slots, I only found one that had 8...

And there would be no problem with scanning the good side to fix the otherside. That wouldn't even fall under copyright infringement unless you start selling them or something. And more importantly: no one would care that you did it, not even Disney...

Did Disney _officially_ let any of these go? I've seen them at arcade shows and such, so I'm guessing they did, but you might want to make sure you can legally call the whole thing your property before pestering them for artwork... :)

This machine was given to a production crew member who I purchased it from. Most in private hands were crew gifts or given away as prizes. I know someone personally who helped build them, but the artwork wasn't his area of work regarding the project. I was put in contact with the business Disney hired who then suggested I try and get direct permission from Disney. The first response I received from their permissions department hinted as though they didn't even know these things existed and suggested I was trying to make it a reality myself. As for the speaker slots, I was told the first run or two had eight instead of seven because the cabinet maker they hired didn't really know what they were doing. There were a lot of build changes they did as the project progressed. It's more evident on the inside.

Last edited:
These were actually rebuilt over old nintendo cabinets they purchased for the promotion. Some will have had 8 slots on teh speaker grille, some 8, some were Donkey Kong Jr. and Playchoices.

EDIT: There are arcade forums where you cna find reproduction artwork and replacement panels for the damaged part.

These were actually rebuilt over old nintendo cabinets they purchased for the promotion. Some will have had 8 slots on teh speaker grille, some 8, some were Donkey Kong Jr. and Playchoices.

EDIT: There are arcade forums where you cna find reproduction artwork and replacement panels for the damaged part.

Most were produced by a private cabinetry shop based off of the Nintendo cabs they did manage to get in time. I have one of the cabinets they built from scratch. Only the first 15 or so were Nintendo conversions. Disney supplied the artwork themselves and it's not available anymore. I'm a member of most of the arcade sites already as I'm primarily a collector of classic arcade games rather than movie memorabilia.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back