Suggestion for a strong lacquer/varnish to seal weathering on top of resin/plastic?

Redrosesforever

Basically as the title says - I am making anime swords from molds I am also making, stippling coloured Shell Shock into the mold to get all the lovely detail and base colours I want and filling it with expanding foam to make the shape. These tests have been going rather well and sucessful. But I realize that if I want to weather with acrylics on top, I'll have to seal it somehow in a way that doesn't diminish the texture or colour and makes the paint much more durable. is there any suggestions anyone can give for products or methods (preferably spray varnish) to help with this issue, or if anyone has encountered a problem like this they've been able to solve?

I'm interested in a good solution too. All I know is that mixing spray lacquers and metallic spray paint from different companies doesn't work well. I once used a Rustoleum silver on a Steampunk blaster that I made and while not a mirror chrome finish, it looked pretty convincingly metallic. But I sealed it with a gloss coat from Krylon and it ended up giving the silver this powder-coated-looking appearance. While it made looked like a very real powder coat, it didn't look like bare metal anymore. So be very careful of what kind of varnish/lacquer/clear coat you use. One thing you might want to try is searching on YouTube for realistic metal painting techniques, there's a lot of modeling and painting channels on YouTube so there's bound to be some tutorials.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back