Sucker Punch Giant Samurai - Update - 4/19

Of course Baron Effingham (the site owner who does pop in here now and then) can correct me if I am wrong, I claim no real expertise in armor classification.

After doing a Samurai armor in EVA foam - I'd suggest Rubbermaid.
Don't get me wrong - I love the look of my armor (here's a progress pic: Link), but stringing all the plates together was hell. Why? because to get the "correct" look, I drilled the holes in the plates a little bit smaller than the diameter of the cord I was using. The problem with this was that I had to litterally squeeze the cord in each hole... so it took me about 30 hours of work just stringing the whole thing.

Working with "harder" and thinner material (like rubbermaid plastic) would have made this a whole lot easier.

Again, if you didn't calculate how much cord you're going to need for your armor... I can tell you I use just a bit over 500' of cord on my armor. If you look at other pics in the photobucket album... you'll see I had the chest armor, the "pauldron", gauntlets, thigh armor and shin armor. The 500' also include the cord I use to simalute attaching the thigh armor to the chest. In the progress picture you can see I used nylon strapping to do it - but to get the right look I cut many piece of 8'' cord that I glued side by side (this alone used up about a 100').

And cost-wise, I think both material would be very similar... so if I had to do this all over again, I'd go with the "easy route" and cut up some trashcans :)

*EDIT*
As for the hat... I wanted to do something like that myself, but I decided to go "The Last Samurai style" :)

The problem I always foresaw was coming up with the correct shape (cone) with cylindrical object (bamboo sticks)... you have to find a way for the same number of sticks to cover much less area at the top of the hat than at the bottom - how can you do that with things that are the same size at the top and the bottom. Thinking about it (and seeing your progress)... I'm thinking that the only way to acheive this would be to cut some of the bamboo stick at various lengths (maybe 2 or 3 or 4 different lengths) and that you would to assemble them 1 by 1 going like this:

Longest - middle - shortest - middle - longest - middle - shortest - middle - longest - middle...

This would mean that you would have far less sticks at the top of the hat than you have at the bottom... so they would take up less space and you be able to achieve the cone shape of the hat.

However, this is just theory... I've never tried it... but design-wise - it should work.
Just my 0,02$ :)

Last edited:
After doing a Samurai armor in EVA foam - I'd suggest Rubbermaid.
Don't get me wrong - I love the look of my armor (here's a progress pic: Link), but stringing all the plates together was hell. Why? because to get the "correct" look, I drilled the holes in the plates a little bit smaller than the diameter of the cord I was using. The problem with this was that I had to litterally squeeze the cord in each hole... so it took me about 30 hours of work just stringing the whole thing.

Working with "harder" and thinner material (like rubbermaid plastic) would have made this a whole lot easier.

Again, if you didn't calculate how much cord you're going to need for your armor... I can tell you I use just a bit over 500' of cord on my armor. If you look at other pics in the photobucket album... you'll see I had the chest armor, the "pauldron", gauntlets, thigh armor and shin armor. The 500' also include the cord I use to simalute attaching the thigh armor to the chest. In the progress picture you can see I used nylon strapping to do it - but to get the right look I cut many piece of 8'' cord that I glued side by side (this alone used up about a 100').

And cost-wise, I think both material would be very similar... so if I had to do this all over again, I'd go with the "easy route" and cut up some trashcans :)

*EDIT*
As for the hat... I wanted to do something like that myself, but I decided to go "The Last Samurai style" :)

The problem I always foresaw was coming up with the correct shape (cone) with cylindrical object (bamboo sticks)... you have to find a way for the same number of sticks to cover much less area at the top of the hat than at the bottom - how can you do that with things that are the same size at the top and the bottom. Thinking about it (and seeing your progress)... I'm thinking that the only way to acheive this would be to cut some of the bamboo stick at various lengths (maybe 2 or 3 or 4 different lengths) and that you would to assemble them 1 by 1 going like this:

Longest - middle - shortest - middle - longest - middle - shortest - middle - longest - middle...

This would mean that you would have far less sticks at the top of the hat than you have at the bottom... so they would take up less space and you be able to achieve the cone shape of the hat.

However, this is just theory... I've never tried it... but design-wise - it should work.
Just my 0,02$ :)

That hat idea makes sense in theory. I'd have to do a different frame, or some sort of way to cover the frame so could attach the sticks. I don't know if I want to attempt that just yet.
I'll stay with the rubbermaid idea sounds like.

If you wanted to do it with the individual stick method FullMetal describes, you could make the frame from a thin sheet of clear acetate formed into the cone shaped, then glue the bamboo to it. That would also alleviate the problem for the area to see through also. Just space the bamboo less densely in that area, and you could see through.

Fullmetalsam - Love the photos! You always do some great work.

I went and got a hold of 2x55 gallon plastic drums from the local car wash. I think they will do the job. I will still look into other lighter plastics as well. I just need to wrap my head around this armor pattern, get the right lacing and get to work. This will be intensive, but damn if it won't be awesome.

Found a tutorial for the Dark Samurai shoes or Waraji. I haven't tried it yet, but I will attempt it this week. Seem like this will work pretty well.

Now to by a scroll saw from the local pawn shops on the cheap.

I just recently attended the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo and had a blast. It was my 3rd year there and the 2nd year I dressed up as Wolverine (movie tanktop version). I made my own costume, part of which was metal claws I could wear without wearing gloves.

Next year I am thinking of dressing up as the Sucker Punch Giant Sumurai who carried the minigun. My idea for the costume is to make it 8 feet tall so I tower over everyone at the expo! I have already mostly thought out how I could make this massive costume a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just recently attended the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo and had a blast. It was my 3rd year there and the 2nd year I dressed up as Wolverine (movie tanktop version). I made my own costume, part of which was metal claws I could wear without wearing gloves.

Next year I am thinking of dressing up as the Sucker Punch Giant Sumurai who carried the minigun. My idea for the costume is to make it 8 feet tall so I tower over everyone at the expo! I have already mostly thought out how I could make this massive costume a reality.

that is gonna be awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back