Sucker Punch Giant Samurai - Update - 4/19

Rev Scott

Hey everyone, new to the forum, but not to costumes. At some point I'll post up the pics of my Ash Chainsaw build for you all.

Okay, here's the plan, I want to start putting together a Sucker Punch "Giant Samurai" costume for next october. I want to make the Samurai in the center of this picture.
600px-SP8-SamuraiGiants.jpg

I have a good idea how I'm going to constuct the armor, using 32 gal. Rubbermaid garbage cans. The plan is to get a black "demon" mask with red LEDs for eyes. I have three main questions:
1. What do you suggest I wear under the armor?
2. Until the movie hits DVD/Blu-ray, I haven't found any other pics of this guy for reference.
3. Where do I get/how do I make that hat??

Thanks in advance guys for any ideas to help me out. I want to start working on the armor, but if I can't get that hat figured out I don't want to put a lot of time into it.

Last edited:
Re: Sucker Punch Giant Samurai

Here's the only pics I could come up with so far.

samurai%203.jpg

samurai%201.jpg

samurai%204.jpg

samurai%202.jpg

I guess the only good thing about the lack of details about the costume, I can take some liberties and not be "wrong".

I too can't wait for the progress of this. That Samurai is bad ass. Maybe I should see Sucker Punch.

I have a Japanese friend I grew up with in Hawaii who makes Samurai Armor from plastic garbage cans.

Pics when you can!

I can't wait to start working on it too, but I'm still unsure about the hat. I've could a few for sale, marve I could add on to one? I'm about 6'3", and the diameter of this hat has to end up slightly beyond my shoulders. I've been searching online, but so far no help.

I would look for those roll up bamboo window shades and see if you could use that as material to make your own hat.

I would look for those roll up bamboo window shades and see if you could use that as material to make your own hat.

I think that could work, it would already be connected. I'd maybe buy a $8 smaller hat as a guide for shape and expand it. Either they have some blinds with gaps, or I can maybe remove some. Not sure if the width of the blinds is long enough though.

Okay, here's a close up of the Hat.
samurai-hat.jpg

Appears to be 3 "layers" of it, maybe I can use some bamboo blinds afterall. I'm still not sure, but might be the easiest option. I'm still not sure what to use in that more "open" rectangular area in front of the face.
Samurai%20hat%20frame.jpg

Here's my frame so far. It looks taller then the pic because of the angle, but it's just right for diameter and height on my head. I was thinking of using paper mache to make it easier to attach the bamboo, but I think I'll get the bamboo first and decide on that later.
840216010147lg.jpg

Maybe something like this

Re: Sucker Punch Giant Samurai - Update

I would use some sort of liner, like a hard hat liner, underneath that frame so it'll sit comfortably on your head. Plus it'll balance it.

I would use some sort of liner, like a hard hat liner, underneath that frame so it'll sit comfortably on your head. Plus it'll balance it.
I forgot to mention anything about that, thanks! I was toying around with some different ideas for how to keep it in place on my head. In the picture I can see a chin strap, so I can incorporate that, but I will need something above my head as well. I could do what you were saying, Cheap Hard Hat
I was also thinking about some foam padding velcroed in as well.
I am not sure if the bamboo alone will make the hat solid enough, I might have to have something under the bamboo to hold it together better as well...

Good luck with it. It should be an awesome costume.

I made mine in about 3 days with very few references for the preview night using EVA foam mats for most of it.
suckerpunchsamurai.jpg

Missing sooooooooo much of the detail but I preferred to get SOME sleep! LOL!

I originally bought bamboo curtains like you've pictured there. Had it all cut up and ready to put together but stuff came up and I was down to the wire. Ended up using old cheap coolie hats and expanding them (badly :p ) but it seemed to work.

You're method should look more accurate and just generally better looking though!

Very cool reference site tk1055! I'm glad you showed me that. I should be able to plan out the chest piece far easier after reading that info.

You are most welcome. Best site out there for Japanese armor construction. If I get some time I will look into the Art Of Suckerpunch and try to narrow down the closest Do pattern for you (chest and back armor):thumbsup

Yes, any help on the armor look/construction would be great!
Here's what I have so far today. I picked up a hard hat and took out the adjustment straps and put them in the frame. It fits great, sits on my head where I want it and so far so good!
Samurai-hat2.jpg

Samurai-hat3.jpg

Here's the blinds I picked up pretty cheap to see what I can do about the outside look. Not exactly sure how I'll attach them yet, I have hot glue and JB-Weld and other stuff... we'll see... ideas are welcome!
Samurai-hat4.jpg

I really like the look of that armor Old Trenchy. I'm guessing it's pretty heavy?

No, the armour is all EVA foam so it's rather light and somewhat comfy. So not too bad at all. It was just a bugger to sit in the theatre seats is all! :p

Had I more time I would've done the small details like the weaving/lacing or whatever it's called but I rushed it like a mofo! Didn't even get my LED eyes done in time!

Here's the blinds I picked up pretty cheap to see what I can do about the outside look. Not exactly sure how I'll attach them yet, I have hot glue and JB-Weld and other stuff... we'll see... ideas are welcome!

Best bet for something like that is to wire it to the frame or use black twist ties or the black wire straps. Glue will help in spots but you don't really get good contact.

Best bet for something like that is to wire it to the frame or use black twist ties or the black wire straps. Glue will help in spots but you don't really get good contact.
Plan is to try and leave the string holding the blinds together intact best I can. In the area it's open in front if the face, I'll remove lines of the bamboo to get the effect.
I'm thinking about something I can attach to the frame, and them attach the bamboo to.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back