Sucker Punch German Zombies

Y straps are modified, I guess to make them longer, the D rings were removed and added to the back of the shoulder strap, this looks like it was done for the clips of the gas cannister. Also, you guys have done a much better job attaching the hoses than the movie (as usual) they seem to be just stuck on.

ystraps by eyehateyahu, on Flickr

Th round ring and back strap are kept though you can see on the dead guy who's cannister has flopped over
#1 is the moved D ring the cannister clips to, and #2 is the round ring on the back of the Y straps, showing they are clearly WWII era as is the bread bag, which has 2 leather attachment straps on the flap.

ystrap2 by eyehateyahu, on Flickr

Parkseiii you list is great very helpful. Thanks again!!
I think I'll go the greatcoat route and just not wear a tunic underneath; looking at the collars I think you would be OK with a 37 or a 40 greatcoat, but it looks like the shoulder boards are sewn in though :/

Looking at the helmets again, I wonder if they are plastic pulls for the movie? the brims are too short to be WWI, but they have the lugs :eek

For what it's worth, I found that wearing the pickelhaube is the least desirable configuration, especially if you can't manage the full-on "sew-the-gas-mask-onto-the-face" look. The pickelhaube makes your head look smaller than the rest of your body, especially if you have the greatcoat on, whereas the Stahlhelm gives your head some balance. Also, the flared skirt of the Stahlhelm helps to hide some of what you have to do to portray the zombie look (in my case, I just worn a toque to hide all exposed skin), especially if you want to take off the gas mask periodically (as hot as I was in the outfit, I needed to take it off frequently to get some fresh air and drain out the sweat).

I didn't use the cover for the pickelhaube, because I thought that the aged metal emblems looked cooler and more zombie-like. This was not shown in the movie, but the "retro" poster for Sweet Pea showed it.

Parks

die_beide.jpg

as far as helmets go, looks like you have 3 to choose from. Stalhelm, pickelhaude and the cheesy steel one

I didn't notice the "cheesy steel one" in the film. That's actually one of the heavy cavalry helmets, with the "lobster-tail" neck guard. I'm impressed that they included this in the film, even though those helmets weren't seen in the trenches.

Parks

what did you use to hold the canvas on the mask?

That's the way the mask was originally constructed. The fabric covering is fused onto the rubber liner. I had to find a WW2-era Canadian gas mask (mine is dated 1942) and modify it to a double-hose configuration. The pre- an early-war US masks are the same; later, they were all rubber. I found my mask on eBay, I suggest you check there. If you know anybody up North, you might also check Canadian surplus stores. Good luck!

For anyone looking for the leather map case (to give something for Babydoll to steal), there is a company in China that sells them on eBay as a replica WW2 Japanese Army map case. I ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive. I'll post pics when it does.

Parks

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back