Sucker Punch: Babydoll's Colt 1911 Government in Wooden box

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by BulletToothTony, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony New Member

This is my custom 1911 Government in box...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gorgeous! Do you have any more photos, or info on the build-up (base model for the pistol, etching process, etc)?

3. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very well done!

4. BulletToothTony

Thank you both of you.
    Sorry, but I don't have any more pics of the construction. You can ask me if you still have any question.

5. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What make/model is the gun? Has a great finish! Are those decals on the slide or were they etched?

6. jasonw2112

jasonw2112 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice! I have been waitng to find a good 1911 to finish mine. More details!

7. BulletToothTony

8. ReproMan

ReproMan Well-Known Member

very nice

9. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

Beautiful. :thumbsup

10. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

Most impressive! I saw that third picture a couple of days ago and dismissed it as a cgi image. I'm shocked to have been proven wrong!

Nice decals btw ;)

11. BulletToothTony

thanks guys.

...cgi image...that's great hihihi :lol.

The former decals from ebay or from anywhere else are very bad...hence I've made ​​it myself.

12. mick662

mick662 New Member

I just had to register solely for this thread. I can take care of the gun part of the setup. I'm more interested in the box. I've been looking for a good picture to build off of and thanks to you, I've finally found it! Unless you found it somewhere and bought it; in which case I would do the same, rather than build one. Any information on the box would be greatly appreciated.

13. Nomolos95

Nomolos95 New Member

looks beautiful, job well done, pics of the build or list of places where you got the pieces would be awesome!

14. Owens8176

Owens8176 New Member

Wow! Makes me wanna give the movie a second chance. Great Work

15. 88reaper88

88reaper88 Active Member

That is beautiful!

I think some-kind of fabric plaque on the lid would look good myself, explaining what it is with the movie logo or something similar. :)

16. Xris

Xris Member

Work and presentation is absolutely stunning! Good job.

17. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Not a fan of the film, but a BIG fan of the gun. Gorgeous presentation, the best I've seen in ages. :thumbsup

18. epilepticsquirl

Out of curiosity what didn't you like about the decals? I'm always looking to improve.

19. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic job on the polish, it looks insanely good. I want one and I didn't even saw the film. :)

20. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Nice. The magazines with the (assuming) dummy rounds are a very nice addition to the display. (Though I know they don't fit an Umarex blank firer. ;)

How long did you have to polish on that thing? It looks KILLER. I'd never though about polishing one of these.

21. BulletToothTony

Thank you so much for your compliments. :)

@mick662
    It's nice to hear that I could help. ;-)
    Have seen only the box in the movie and thought ... I want that ( since I happened to have the gun before).
    Have found no similar project in the whole www at the time (end of last year).
    I say just now, that I'm/was the only one who has built a complete box in this quality.
    If I had a gun license, there would be a real M1911 exemplar. :)

@Nomolos95
    Sorry, but I have not documented the works with pictures.
    The box has been made of MDF.
    Inside there is foam material in which the forms were cut.
    The material is golden satin (sewed by my mother). :)
    The figures have been made of FIMO Modeling Clay.

@88reaper88
    Sorry, but I did not understand you.

@epilepticsquirl
    The print quality was bad, very rough-textured and a few details were not visible anymore - bad scanning and working ;-)

@Noeland
    Correct, the magazine does not fit of course (sadly ;) ).
    Suggest definitely to take a Dremel with suitable felt attachments for the small corners and curve.
    And for big areas with a polishing disk in a drill press or something like that.

Edit:
    I found a short clip on my pc...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IU853yAa-c&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  22. epilepticsquirl

Ah I hear ya. I originally had it rough-textured to give it the illusion that the image was actually lasered/scribed on. I wish you would have messaged me though, I would've worked with you with something that was more in line of what you wanted. ;)

[​IMG]

This particular one is a custom job for a client that wanted an "L" instead of a "B"

23. mick662

mick662 New Member

Well you have done an excellent job building the box. What did you use for the cherries on top of the box? I'd like to make them out of real metal and inlay into the wood, but I'm thinking that a decal cut from chrome vinyl might be the best way to go. I do plan on using a real 1911 for the project. I live in South Dakota, and we have pretty lax gun laws. I have a concealed carry permit and already have a Springfield 1911. I think I'll probably use an Auto-Ordnance 1911 as it is one of the few 1911s with the lanyard ring. I will definitely send it off to get bright nickel plated. My hope is to have the engraving done for real; the problem is I don't know if it's laser etched, acid etched, engraved, etc. I also don't know if anyone will actually do it, as it's probably considered copyrighted work. But people love money, so I'll just search until I find someone willing.

24. Wanttowrite

Wanttowrite New Member

Is anyone on this thread anymore? Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap airsoft pistol that I could use as Babydoll's pistol? I found one but it doesn't ship to the UK. So does anyone know one that looks like Babydoll's, is cheap and ships to the UK? I can't find anything! They're all either black, bright orange or not available! Anything would be appreciated!

25. peytonriley

peytonriley Active Member

I have a friend who's british and had to import a 1911 because they didn't sell them there, so your best bet is to get a black one and paint it silver, and the grips brown or give them a woodgrain style :) that's what i did for a customer n.n

Btw, i hadn't seen the first pic, that is GORGEOUS! You've got some serious love for Babydoll :D