"Stunt" Lightsaber?

Zeke1

So I'm working on Luke's ESB costume and am in search of a..er...light...lightsaber for his belt.
By that I mean that I have the old Force FX Vader lightsaber (back when the blades were still removable) and so I know from experience that the hilt alone is heavy and expensive and so it's not something I would want dangling from my belt, thwacking me in the thigh or worse, falling off unnoticed, while I'm chasing my kids around the convention floors.
This is probably a sacrilegious thing to ask but are there any lighter, cheaper versions of Luke's ESB hilt, that you would consider passable for cosplaying?

Last edited:
For me, I'd do a metal tube with greebs put on it to resemble the Graflex. All the parts of a Graflex are available and dead-on, you'd just have to invest in them and put in a little elbow grease to cut one end of the tube down to look like the Graflex lip.

Otherwise, just go with a toy.

For me, I'd do a metal tube with greebs put on it to resemble the Graflex. All the parts of a Graflex are available and dead-on, you'd just have to invest in them and put in a little elbow grease to cut one end of the tube down to look like the Graflex lip.

Otherwise, just go with a toy.
Sorry, you lost me. You're saying make it look like a Graflex by using Graflex parts?

I've used some of these over the years to make what I consider decent approximations of Graflex sabers using mostly sink tubes.
Obviously, ignore the extra holes for the MOM version (unless you REALLY want to do that) but otherwise, it should work for you on a 1.5" sink tube.
Using the same guide to cut the opposite end (or at least the slots for the clamp) isn't a terrible idea either. just make sure that you're cutting it the correct length.
The other things are diagrams for "shoulder pullers" to give it a better look that's closer to an actual graflex.

Attachments

• clamp definitivo de enserio pero de enserio cuidado.png
    clamp definitivo de enserio pero de enserio cuidado.png
    24 KB · Views: 132
  • Emmiter clamp.png
    Emmiter clamp.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 160
  • PrecisionReplicasDVROTJ_Template.jpg
    PrecisionReplicasDVROTJ_Template.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Puller2.jpg
    Puller2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 107
  • View(22).jpg
    View(22).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 106
The prop and costume people themselves never gave luke a resin belt hanger from what I can tell. I have a memory of hearing a complait about his male organs getting hit all the time.

You might be able to get one of those Graflex video game controllers and take out the blue tip. My vote would be for a sink tube or aluminum tube fake graflex though, much more fun

I've used some of these over the years to make what I consider decent approximations of Graflex sabers using mostly sink tubes.
Obviously, ignore the extra holes for the MOM version (unless you REALLY want to do that) but otherwise, it should work for you on a 1.5" sink tube.
Using the same guide to cut the opposite end (or at least the slots for the clamp) isn't a terrible idea either. just make sure that you're cutting it the correct length.
The other things are diagrams for "shoulder pullers" to give it a better look that's closer to an actual graflex.
Thanks. I like the sink tube idea. I'll go with that. For the parts, well, to me the "signature" parts of the the hilt are the two knobs, the rabbit ears and the grip. The rest is just kibble. The knobs should be easy but what do you recommend for the rabbit ears and the grip? I've heard that the original grips were windshield wiper blades but I'm having troubling envisioning how to attach them so securely that they can handle the constant wear and tear of being...well...handled.

Also E6000 glue. It's silicone based, takes about 6-12 hours to dry but it takes vibration and is rock solid

I'm going to use the Hasbro Bladebuilders Rey lighsaber toy for my lightweight Cosplay belt hanger because 95% of the work is already done.

The toy is right about the same size as a real Graflex and it has all the details like the beer tab, accurate looking red button, slide switch, clamp details, reflector cut-out, etc...

You can either cut off the 'extra' piece past the grips to make the saber the right length, or cut off the entire lower section below the clamp and use a blank plastic or PVC tube. Sand off the raised product info, fill the seams, sand off the grips and/or replace the lower tube, add aftermarket grips, add a d-ring, cut out and replace the bulb-release/emitter ring (or leave it as-is), and re-paint silver or aluminum.

Best past is, they originally sold for like $12, if your stores still have them they are usually on discount for like $4-$6

IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. I like the sink tube idea. I'll go with that. For the parts, well, to me the "signature" parts of the the hilt are the two knobs, the rabbit ears and the grip. The rest is just kibble. The knobs should be easy but what do you recommend for the rabbit ears and the grip? I've heard that the original grips were windshield wiper blades but I'm having troubling envisioning how to attach them so securely that they can handle the constant wear and tear of being...well...handled.
Not wiper blades, t-track
or
there are a number of places where you can buy replica buttons and glass-eyes as well

so, it can be done and still kept pretty inexpensive.
I think I included a template for bunny ears too if you'd prefer that route.

The Lenovo Jedi Challenges AR game includes a lightsaber that is a fair approximation of the Anakin/Luke/Rey Graflex. It's just about 3/8" longer and the same diameter, with some adjusted details. You can find them used on ebay for about $30. The D-ring is plastic so that's probably the only thing I'd change if it's meant as a belt-hanger.

Here's a thread about it:

And a comparison to a Graflex:
1591042600051.png

The Lenovo Jedi Challenges AR game includes a lightsaber that is a fair approximation of the Anakin/Luke/Rey Graflex. It's just about 3/8" longer and the same diameter, with some adjusted details. You can find them used on ebay for about $30. The D-ring is plastic so that's probably the only thing I'd change if it's meant as a belt-hanger.

View attachment 1305097

That too is a excellent idea

View attachment 1305097
I forgot about that.. I actually bought one and have it on display in my son's nursery.

I got my 20 month old the plastic one. Found it at rite aid for 5 bucks. Its beat all to hell now but its a great approximation for the price.
I would set it next to my vintage for comparison but its a pita to get out from the case and its got my luke hero on top of it.
1591150882796176098575495863552.jpg

Also the sink tube project sounds way fun!
I might even make a few for beaters so I can finally swing around any version without feeling like I'm taking a bugatti to the baja 1000 lol

View attachment 1305097
I will say, though, if it ends up falling off your belt at some point like mine did at Celebration, the S-curve will crack or shatter. At least, that's what happened to mine when that happened.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back