Stumbled across an iconic piece of movie history last week

DARTH SABER

Master Member
So my wife and i occasonally drive to the Florida Keys to get some R&R every few weeks.
Last week she decided she wanted to go on a glass bottom boat tour.
So we drove to key largo, and went to the docks right next to a hotel. As we're walking towards the glass bottom boat I see a small old bout about 15 ft long suspended above the water in the process of being restored.
Instantly I recognized the boat...But I was hard pressed to believe that such a movie icon would be found in a rinky dink out-of-the-way place.

There was no glass case, no area roped off...It was right next to the dock just suspended there.
As we ran inside to get out tickets before the boat left we I noticed that inside the lobby of the hotel was a display with the original iconic engine of the boat as well.
At this point I thought that it might be a replica, but yesterday I heard on the radio that the boat was finally restored and ready to be displayed, and will even used for small tours..The location of the restoration given on the radio was indeed the place we were at in the keys.
I figured you guys would would get a kick out of this so I took some pics -

721d1221.jpg

c33ae15a.jpg

2dea49f1.jpg

76372a64.jpg

1f4ee834.jpg

55756259.jpg

03caa7e9.jpg

Oh man. I would love to actually cruise in that thing.

As Rose said, "Now that I've had a taste of it I don't wonder why you love boating".

Oh wow. This gave me actual shivers! I love that film, my mum put me onto it when I was a kid, I was SO SAD when the AQ rammed the cruiser, lol.

Had no idea the boat had survived filming. Wow. My mum would have loved this, she was a huge Bogey fan.

That is so great! One of my favorite movies (and an excellent book as well) Thanks for sharing the pics :)

I suppose there was no chance of you getting a picture of you standing in it, huh? :love

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back