Studio Scale Training: MPC X-wing Red 5 build & custom stand

Lazyeagle

‘Awakened’ by the Star Wars bug I dug out an old MPC ERTL X-wing. This is an exercise in trying my hand at studio scale painting before I take the plunge and tentatively build my long held Salzo V 3.1 stash. Hoping for a V4 from Mike soon.

The kit pilot is awful so was modified as best as I was able into a Rebel flyer, R2 unit also made to look more like an Astromech droid (I hope) along with custom stand (made from two CD cases glued back to back and cladded in plasticard)

No decals used or pastels for weathering- all airbrushed. Wings (S foils?) fixed in attack position.
Some build photos.

Modified cockpit

Pilot

All together now…

First paint application – white with a little tan and dark grey pre-shading

Painting on the Red 5 markings

The stand

From this ….

To this…

Yes…the Do they Know its Christmas CD is time capsuled in the stand….:)

Finished Model:

Very nice paint job and great looking X-wing all around! Very cool yet subtle modifications on one of my all time favorite kits.

Looks great, but I'm going to level a little critique at your build that was given to me when I built my Salzo V2. Ready?

Your R2 is too clean looking.:D

That is really impressive. A great paint job is harder than it looks and you pulled it off great... I LOVE the stand. :)

Looks great, but I'm going to level a little critique at your build that was given to me when I built my Salzo V2. Ready?

Your R2 is too clean looking.:D

Alright next one will be a little dirtier....

Thanks everyone for their kind comments. Next thinking either 1/24 B-wing (Alfred Wong) or the X-wing 3.1.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back