Studio Scale Star Destroyer: 2.5 meters

MattWinchell

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I decided to grab a group of friends together to build ILM's 2.59m/8.5 foot avenger star destroyer from Empire Strikes Back. They made the 2.6m version because the 4 footer that was retrofitted from ANH didn't meet the scale for the closeups they needed.

I've gathered a few reference images from some ILM documentaries. Here's two of them
uEd4mzV.jpeg
:
ihmOSCz (1).jpeg

I reached out to GEEK1138 and bought his 1/300 Devastator files from him, including some measurements for constructing the wooden inner framing. His ISD isn't actually exactly 1/300, but rather 1/362. The length of a star destroyer is 1600m, and his is 4.41m, so some quick math gave me the exact scale he was at. I then divided his scale from my scale to find a scale factor of: 0.5873015873. So anytime I converted his measurements, i'd always use that scale factor.

I found a large chunk of MDF and 2x4s lying around at my college's student-run makerspace, so I began marking them up. After a couple of hours of work with my friends, this is what we've done so far:
IMG_0085.HEIC.jpg

IMG_0086.HEIC.jpg

We need to grab another board of MDF to finish off the back two ribs.

Added a bit more paneling in the back area in addition to some "wiring" in the front and hangar bay area. Would anyone like to take a guess for what I used (It's not difficult to figure out haha):
IMG_0620.JPG

I'm also about to start adding some of this "blushing" on the backside with some 1/8 plywood that will be lasercut with design I arbitrarily sketched up in solidworks:
Underside 2.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back