Studio Scale Sandcrawler (ANH)

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by marvin, Jun 8, 2017.

1. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Hi,

Here's my "new" project: the Studio Scale Jawa Sandcrawler. I will be recreating the Sandcrawler in its original Star Wars (A new Hope) configuration as it was at the time of filming in 1977. I think I will end up making it RC too, just like the original.

I started out by creating a 3D model accurate to the original. I did flatten some panels out, as the original panels slightly warped over time. Or maybe because during production the crew took turns riding it....

Sandcrawler_001.jpg

Now the build is progressing I find myself struggling with the last few ID's. If anyone had any idea on these It would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out either here on in PM.

Unknown Parts.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! That looks amazing!

3. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

From the 3D model I created 3D plans with tongue and groove connections. Brown is 12mm MDF, orange is 3mm MDF, yellow is 2mm MDF and white is styrene.

Sandcrawler_002.jpg

I created and internal box structure design for low weight and high structural strength and added cable guides throughout for future lighting and RC components.

Sandcrawler_003.jpg

After that the panels were lasercut and after an hour or three and copious amounts of two component urethane glue I ended up with this:

Sandcrawler_004.jpg

Sandcrawler_006.jpg

Next up is skinning everything with 1mm styrene and then another layer of panelling.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. joewhite

joewhite Sr Member

Daaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnnn! This is killer!

Joe

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. joberg

joberg Master Member

Oh maaaan:eek And RC to boot! I'll follow you thread with intense attention;)

6. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Big project so will take some time to complete. Hope to get most of the skinning done over the weekend and then the fun starts.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Vacformedhero likes this.
  7. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wish I had your computer skills. Its almost like cheating......but in the best, most rewarding way :).

8. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Well it's Sketchup, the easiest 3D program in excistence. You could teach a monkey to use it. So my advice is pick a project and just dive in, you will get there.

In the end it's just a tool. The work is in getting the dimensions and angles right from the ref. And crosschecking with kit parts.

9. 3phase

3phase Well-Known Member

Great work and super cool.

10. trymypatience

trymypatience Member

Subscribed!!

11. archiegold

archiegold New Member

This is so good (understatement).

Did you get any time over the weekend to work with the styrene?

12. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Yes but still working on it. Hope to have most of the base layer of styrene on after this weekend... proving to be a lot of work

13. bwize

bwize Well-Known Member

That is looking awesome. Love all the 3D designs and all the craftsmanship going into this. Can't wait to see it all paneled up.

14. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm still working on that first layer of skinning. Finally have my new styrene in so hopefully I can finish it over the weekend.

In the meantime I could use some help. I'm having trouble identifying the long flat pieces in the following pic. I thought they may be parts of trailer, but can't be sure. Does anyone have any idea about these parts?

T2 - trailer.jpg

15. maxhebus

maxhebus Well-Known Member

16. joberg

joberg Master Member

Yep, Plastruct or Evergreen stuff.

17. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Yes i dont think evergreen was ever used but Plastruct had something similar. I think i might just be wanting it to be kit parts...

18. merseajohn

merseajohn Active Member

You know I love this!

19. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Excellent work!

20. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. The skinning is taking quite some time. Everything on this thing is a big project in itself.

Looking forward when the skinning is done so i can attack each panel as a seperate mini project.

21. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Great subject, one I wanted to do, only problem was have you solved the four tank chassis problem, I couldn't think of a cheap solution to doing the tracks

22. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Yeah no solution for that yet. Truth is very little is visible.

I might go for a Heng Long substitute.

Dont know yet. This is going to be a two year build so i might be able to get them together in that time.

23. archiegold

archiegold New Member

This is something that has baffled me too. I think I might have a solution for the tracks. Possibly cheaper. Just depends on what you are willing to sacrifice in authenticity.

I'll take a photo later tonight to show what I'm thinking.

24. ckwanwoo

ckwanwoo Sr Member

Hey marvin!

That part was from AMT 1/25 Kenworth K-123.
    You need two kits.

Thanks,
    Eric.

25. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Hey Eric!

Good to hear from you and thanks for that ID! I can't believe I missed that one.... :facepalm

Cheers mate!
    Marvin

26. y3a

y3a Well-Known Member

The real fun will be the steering, which will have to be proportional, with the treads on the inside of the turn rotating more than the outside treads.

27. archiegold

archiegold New Member

Here is the photo of my track pieces idea. Lego track pieces.
    According to my calculations, 1 1/2 inch width is perfect for SS. Any input? Am I off on the sizing?

image1 2.JPG

28. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Well I like going precise on my builds, only allowing some artistic liberty with straightening some things out. So I'm actually still on the fence about using another kit as a basis, which will probably only have small differences compared to the Tamiya Sherman.

Even though the sizing might be ok (haven't done any measurements on the tracks yet), the details will be way more of that i'd be comfortable with. Also note that the tracks had an addition to them so were wider than the kit parts themselves.

Cheers,
    Marvin

29. Droidr4i9

Droidr4i9 New Member

Hi Eric
    would you happen to know the parts in the red squares?
    kg_aa_sandcrawler-1390-2.jpg

30. Droidr4i9

Droidr4i9 New Member

Each track is 2" wide.

31. archiegold

archiegold New Member

Thanks. That's with the add-on pieces? Right?

32. archiegold

archiegold New Member

Yeah, I completely understand.

33. Droidr4i9

Droidr4i9 New Member

Yes that's correct. The original tracks were used but with extruded extensions fastened to them to make them more wider and help support and steer the prop.

34. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

So next stage. I have MOST of the basic skinning done. Some skins remain and need to wait for panel application on adjecent panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  35. satazius

satazius Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. Beautiful work. Some of the angles are crazy on that thing.

36. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Thanks! They sure are. Took quite some time to get those right in 3D.

37. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Wow. Looks amazing!

Very cool seeing it in unadorned plain white, really shows off the shapes and angles.

38. Rats

Rats Sr Member

An amazing start Marvin, looks the business. :thumbsup :thumbsup What sort of glue are you using to stick the styrene to the MDF?

39. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I used a very strong two-part urethane glue that comes in two cans and has to be mixed 1:1. Rough up both surfaces and stick on. Very sticky stuff. Easy to clean up (while not set) with acetone. Only downside is it takes 4-6 hours to set up and 24 hours to harden out. But since its only needed for the first layer of skinning that's fine. I just did every surface so from now on i can just used styrene bonder.

40. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool project and great start. Hope I'm wrong, but most everything Star Wars isn't easy. I would be surprised if the Lego track works. However, did t Tamiya make larger scale motorized tanks. I would think ILM used something off the shelf for the treads.

41. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Yes they did. Sherman 1:16 is what they used off the shelf.

42. joberg

joberg Master Member

Awesome sauce all the way:cool

43. Turdbol

Turdbol New Member

Absolutely lovely!

44. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Progress is a bit slow. Lots of stuff to prepare and tidy up on the underside. Hope to finish that up this week so i can move on to panelling and detailing each section. Thats where the fun is....

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    rbeach84 likes this.
  45. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

So the first of the section is basically done. Others have been plated as well. Every plate cut by hand and tried to match the variations in panel spacing with the studio model. Face looks a bit slim but it will get a 1mm plating layer on both sides which will make it spot on.

Sandcrawler_015.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Decky, Nick K and dirtydave like this.
  46. iloveyouiknow87

iloveyouiknow87 New Member

amazing programming job marvin, ive been running a lasercut for a while and your technique of developing models from 2d panels to 3d volumes its amazing

47. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I’m just making this up as i go along but having an engineering background helps.

I just wanted to have as little room for deviations between 3D and the real life build.

48. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

So next stage. Both front sections are basically done. Work has started on the sides and should be finished in a day or three.

Sandcrawler_025.jpg

Since I'm recreating the 1977 version of the model there's fewer parts on these sections than what most of us remember. They added a lot of parts to the "throat" section fro the Special Editions.

I'm still missing one ID: the binoculars. If anyone can help with determining which kit they are from I'd be most grateful.

unknownparts_F2.jpg

49. modelman

modelman New Member

Looking so cool love all the work so far. Will keep watching this one.

50. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Amazing stuff!