Studio Scale Rocinante from the Expanse

PropsToHistory

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've started the long process of making a 3 and 1/2 foot long model of the Roci. 3d printed the hull, and will be doing sheet styrene, brass, aluminum details. Center section is printed and I've begun the detailing process with surface detail. Laser engraved .020 sheet styrene for the skin
20191220_201019.jpg
20191220_201034.jpg
20191219_201414.jpg

Couple printers went down, so I had a bit of a delay in the Roci. But everything's working again and progress is being made. this is about a 1/3 of the ship printed out. Once I'm done with that, then I'll be skinning her in sheet styrene and brass
20200109_211813.jpg

lol I was expecting Don Quijote's horse! I'm gonna have to watch The Expanse now.

Can't wait to see how you detail that beast. That's always my favourite part.

Been meaning to start one of these myself for a while now - What file did you use for your base ship, if you don't mid me asking?

Been meaning to start one of these myself for a while now - What file did you use for your base ship, if you don't mid me asking?

I sliced into 10 parts instead of 4 and scaled it up 400% It takes a little work to get it to fit, but it prints pretty good at .01mm

Very Cool! I love that you are doing a hybrid of 3D printed and hand fabrication. The slight variations in hand cut parts helps enormously in making the model look more realistic in the end. And it's a lot more fun!

One more part nearing done. The drive cone section is the most worrisome for how fiddly it is. The thin supports along the engine bell will all be replaced with brass, but its failed twice. Had to slow the printer down ALOT to make it work. 8 days in to this one section with about 10 hours to go *fingers crossed*
20200117_063604.jpg

It's a fair question, the answer is no. To my knowledge, there are no practical models used in filming. But it seemed the best definition for what this thing is.

IMHO this is definitely "Studio Scale" even if the original model was CG. It is in a size and detail appropriate for realistic filming and utilizing fabrication techniques that are definitely a cut above general kit-building.

IMHO this is definitely "Studio Scale" even if the original model was CG. It is in a size and detail appropriate for realistic filming and utilizing fabrication techniques that are definitely a cut above general kit-building.
Not trying to start a holy war - But - "Studio Scale" has a specific definition... and its not a specific scale or "big" or massively detailed. Its a model built with the same or similar techniques in the same size and detailing as the one used to to film the show/movie. Many have misconstrued it to mean 1/24th since it was originally coined in reference to the Star Wars ANH fighters that were built at approximately 1/24th, but that's not right either.

All that said this is a GREAT model, and like I said I'm not trying to be a Noodge, and definitely not trying to pick a fight. I even like how the print lines actually kind of add to the detailing. My anal retentiveness would compel me to prime, fill and sand - but it is a cool look as it is.

Jedi Dade

Not trying to start a holy war - But - "Studio Scale" has a specific definition... and its not a specific scale or "big" or massively detailed. Its a model built with the same or similar techniques in the same size and detailing as the one used to to film the show/movie. Many have misconstrued it to mean 1/24th since it was originally coined in reference to the Star Wars ANH fighters that were built at approximately 1/24th, but that's not right either.

All that said this is a GREAT model, and like I said I'm not trying to be a Noodge, and definitely not trying to pick a fight. I even like how the print lines actually kind of add to the detailing. My anal retentiveness would compel me to prime, fill and sand - but it is a cool look as it is.

Jedi Dade
I get where you're coming from 100% This cant be a studio scale model , as there isnt one. It's a fair point. But this seemed the best place to post this. That being said. She ain't done. The entire model is being skinned in Laser engraved .020 sheetstyrene to simulate hull plating. Much custom brass tubing and wire, aluminum sheet, photoetch and hand made detailing is going into this model. I want a super detailed model on my desk... Or wall, or wherever. The 3d print was just the starting point.

Jedi Dade
You are correct.
Many of us studio scale guys have built big models of ships that were only CG and we appropriately posted them in the General Modeling thread.
This build is big and cool and everything, but it is not a studio scale model.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back