Studio scale Gold Leader Y-wing build info and questions for all you wise folk.

Thanks Vacformed hero. That helps with the build somewhat, but unfortunately it is the red jammer version which may send me down a dark path with the greeblies for Gold Leader. Were there ever any gold leader instructions available ? Does anyone out there know ?

This old thread may have some good info, if you haven’t seen it:

Thanks Vacformed hero. That helps with the build somewhat, but unfortunately it is the red jammer version which may send me down a dark path with the greeblies for Gold Leader. Were there ever any gold leader instructions available ? Does anyone out there know ?

There was a thread posted here with the once top secret photos of Gold Leader. They're awesome reference, between them and the unfinished instructions that should help you out for most of your build.

Cheers

Hi Guys. Anyone know what part this is. Its missing from the multitude of parts I have here.
missing greebly 1.jpg

More work on greeblies done, looking nicer now.
g3.jpg
g4.jpg

Cheers dtssyst.
Ive found a few more missing parts as I am working through the greebs.
More done over the last few days, painfully slow sometimes but definitely worth taking time over.
Ive been scouring the references and have eliminated some of the details seen on the fuselage moulding and in the instructions, as they do not appear on the original ILM model as far as I can tell. Some ultra small round details and some which can almost be seen down in the crevasses.
The droid area parts were missing completely, but I am rebuilding them with plasticard and some of StudioKitbash's cast parts to match the reference, as it is different to the part which should have been supplied.
Heres where I am now.
t4.jpg
t5.jpg
t9.jpg
t10.jpg
t11.jpg

to shave, or not to shave. This is my new dilemma. My choice is shave.
What say you all ?
shave the grill.jpg

Little red line is a small pipe which needs adding.
grill shave or not.jpg

I see no bleed along the grill detail from the sketchy dark grey wash applied to this section, which leads me to believe there is no grill.
Anyone else know for sure ?

to shave, or not to shave. This is my new dilemma. My choice is shave.
What say you all ?
View attachment 1027619
Little red line is a small pipe which needs adding.
View attachment 1027620
I see no bleed along the grill detail from the sketchy dark grey wash applied to this section, which leads me to believe there is no grill.
Anyone else know for sure ?
20190610_003648.jpg

Red Jammer from the Chronicles book, and this is supposed to be the master to all Y's. I see a grill and its from the Sea Lab kit, the little pipe part is curious, I never noticed that before. Interesting.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Hammer3246. I am guessing a thick paint application could cover the fine detail on the original.
I will no doubt make a decision shortly.
Heres another little thing I cant seem to identify.
LEFT TOP SIDE MISSING.jpg

Hi again folks. The Y is coming along nicely, but I still have one part missing which is stopping me from proceeding on the main assembly.
Any ideas which part this is (it crams into the space behind the 8 rad chassis).
mising details.jpg

Heres another little detail which I cant identify at this time.
Any help is greatly appreciated folks.
MISSING 2.jpg

and these other little jobbies crammed into the canyon area on the top.
MISSING CENTRAL TOP.jpg

There are differences on these parts from the kit, the circular hole seen in the upper part is probably on the original part and not on the remoulding.
Sorry for all these questions, thanks for the advice guys.
More updates on the build soon.

Hi again folks. The Y is coming along nicely, but I still have one part missing which is stopping me from proceeding on the main assembly.
Any ideas which part this is (it crams into the space behind the 8 rad chassis).
View attachment 1034360

That part is unidentified so it was so grown (I read that somewhere), so you could make a reasonable facsimilie.

Last edited:
Heres another little detail which I cant identify at this time.
Any help is greatly appreciated folks.
View attachment 1034361
and these other little jobbies crammed into the canyon area on the top.
View attachment 1034367
There are differences on these parts from the kit, the circular hole seen in the upper part is probably on the original part and not on the remoulding.
Sorry for all these questions, thanks for the advice guys.
More updates on the build soon.

The top picture is the AMT 1/25 Chevy Titan 90.

The second picture, far left part is the Bandai 1/24 Shiden, the two little guys with the holes I'm not sure about, the one after that is the Airfix 1/144 727 (I believe), the last one hasn't been identified.

There is a landing gear strut half of the He-117 nestled here in yellow that's rarely seen in builds too.

You'll also need this in the second picture from the Nichimo 1/500 Yamato.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    304.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 283
That's awesome Hammer3246, thanks for sorting out my headache :), ive been searching for that grown part for ages. Ill make something close and insert it.

Ok, internal grown part has been scratch built to look like the original, Thanks for that Hammer3246.
I have checked over the kit part scans of the chevy 1/25 Titan and I think it may be this little dude in red at the top of the image.
It looks wrong but the only possibility I can see in the whole kit. Can anyone confirm this ? Hammer3246 :)

titan scan maybe.jpg

Another one I am having difficulty with is this detail on the left side rear of the fuselage outlined in red again
rear cover left side fuselage detail.jpg

So heres where e are today.
Rear cover completely overhauled and new smaller lip attached to the body, the cover has been shave down to fit and made to look more like the original (without the sketchy melted tubing).
Loads of pipe work done and more greeblies to find in some of the spaces. (ill post images once I have the complete list of empty areas).
Its looking nice and sharp now
re10.jpg

re19.jpg

re13.jpg
re16.jpg

More soon. Thanks for any help you folks out there. This is quite a mission. :)
and if you know, is this the correct kit for the titan part I am looking for ?
titan.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back