Studio Scale Falcon and Y Wing from MR

Obviously ILM couldn't get the models right if there are so many variations. Honestly some of us care way more than the original model makers did.

It looks like a Y-wing to me. It's out of my price range anyway so it doesn't matter to me either way.

I agree that that paint job is horrid. But I would susspect that it is a fair representation of what you are going to get from an outsourced factory worker. It looks a lot like what was sprayed on the Code 3 Falcon.

If only Fine Molds would make a Y-Wing after they're done with the Falcon. Hmmmmmm.

Originally posted by Vinyl Guy@Oct 26 2005, 08:27 PM

Jamie
Without specifics, how are the rest of us "mere mortals" ever going to learn as much as you? :cry

Dan
[snapback]1104560[/snapback]​

What specifics would you like to see?

I haven't seen a price yet, what is the price on this one?

That paint job is a disaster.

Alan

Originally posted by cobywan@Oct 27 2005, 03:26 PM
Obviously ILM couldn't get the models right if there are so many variations.  Honestly some of us care way more than the original model makers did.

It looks like a Y-wing to me.  It's out of my price range anyway so it doesn't matter to me either way.

I agree that that paint job is horrid.  But I would susspect that it is a fair representation of what you are going to get from an outsourced factory worker.  It looks a lot like what was sprayed on the Code 3 Falcon.

If only Fine Molds would make a Y-Wing after they're done with the Falcon.  Hmmmmmm.
[snapback]1104875[/snapback]​

I'm just guessing based on previous products that this will be in the $1200 region. It is a bargain at that price but I have so much stuff to get in the Galactica franchise first.

It looks like a Y-Wing and the construction and detailing is beautiful. However I don't think the paint job is a total disaster. It just looks halfway done. It needs more weathering here and there and like I said earlier the flash photography just makes it look horrendous.

No one has ever claimed that the MR Y-wing was "produced from Lucasfilm/ILM molds" or "molded off an original", as the now-defunct company Icons frequently implied in ad copy for their X-wing and TIE replicas.

I would describe the MR Y-wing as an amalgamated recreation of the Y-wings seen in A New Hope, using many of the common details found on all the ILM ANH-era Y-wing miniatures. It combines some details of the Red Y (flipped neck sides, similar piping arrangement) with the markings and weathering of a Gold Y. It was not meant to be a spot-on replica of a specific Y-wing ship; It was meant to be dimensionally accurate and true, while incorporating as many original kit details as the current state of donor part research would allow.

A 100% spot-on replica of a particular Y-wing is not likely to ever be seen.

For starters, it can be said with absolute certainty that no one (or group) knows every single donor part. Secondly, there is no way to precisely replicate the weathering job done to each Y-wing. The weathering alone is an art form, and Joe Johnston was the master. So the idea that anyone could replicate a specific ILM Y-wing miniature with total 100% accuracy is ludicrous. You can get to a certain high percentage, but at some point the model is going to be different. If the parts are all there but the paint job is different... if a paint chip is not shaped correctly, or blast mark is not the right size, then technically one could always claim it is "inaccurate". Where does one draw the line between "accurate" and "inaccurate"?

It's really splitting hairs at this point.

The MR Y-wing achieves a high level of accuracy, and is as close to an ILM ANH Y-wing as a commercially available replica of the Y-wing will ever get.

Originally posted by Rogue Studios@Oct 29 2005, 11:28 AM
Actually Jpe Johnston is a master but from what I understand folks like Dave Beasley etc. painted these models not Joe.
[snapback]1105983[/snapback]​
Rogue,

Although I have personally seen a photo of Joe Johnson painting one of the models, I would agree that others at ILM also had a hand in painting the miniatures. There is a picture out there, I think, of Grant McCune painting Red Five. No question, they were all talented artists.

'Basher

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back