Studio Scale Falcon and Y Wing from MR

stonky

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm surprised that they'd do a Y wing and not an X wing. Perhaps they think that the maket has already been saturated by the Icons and the CC? I think that the X wing would be a monster hit.
 

barbatus

Well-Known Member
Any news about the Y-Wing and especially the Falcon? I know it´s still a long time till the release, but I´m already having a bad headache thinking about what the Falcon will cost and if I will be able to afford it :unsure
 

nightrider

Sr Member
Please, more info on the falcon, the suspense is killing me. :cry The repeated searches for info or gossip are becoming compulsive, the family is starting to get worried so please help. :p
 

1138

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by CaptCBoard@Oct 25 2005, 08:17 AM
I sure hope that is not indicative of a finished paint job.

Scott
[snapback]1103208[/snapback]​
Scott, I'd second that. I think this was a quick paint job to get it ready for the toy fair. IMO the stripes/markings look great, it's the weathering that needs a little more attention. Can't wait to see the final version.

Dan
 

1138

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by DARKSIDE72@Oct 26 2005, 09:31 PM
You guys realize it's not an ILM Y-wing don't you?
[snapback]1104419[/snapback]​
I don't think anyone has claimed that its an ILM Y-Wing :confused

It's a PFA* replica of the Red Y painted with Gold Y paint scheme. I don't think anyone has claimed that it's anything more or less than that.


PFA = "pretty f'ing accurate"
 

DARKSIDE72

Sr Member
Originally posted by 1138+Oct 26 2005, 04:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1138 @ Oct 26 2005, 04:57 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DARKSIDE72
@Oct 26 2005, 09:31 PM
You guys realize it's not an ILM Y-wing don't you?
[snapback]1104419[/snapback]​
I don't think anyone has claimed that its an ILM Y-Wing :confused

It's a PFA* replica of the Red Y painted with Gold Y paint scheme. I don't think anyone has claimed that it's anything more or less than that.


PFA = "pretty f'ing accurate"
[snapback]1104429[/snapback]​
[/b]

Other than the reversed neck parts, and a couple of parts on the upper back it has little in comon with being accurate to the red Y.
 

Vinyl Guy

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by DARKSIDE72@Oct 26 2005, 10:24 PM

Other than the reversed neck parts, and a couple of parts on the upper back it has little in comon with being accurate to the red Y.
[snapback]1104452[/snapback]​

Jamie
Without specifics, how are the rest of us "mere mortals" ever going to learn as much as you? :cry


Dan
 

1138

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by DARKSIDE72+Oct 26 2005, 10:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DARKSIDE72 @ Oct 26 2005, 10:24 PM)</div>
Originally posted by 1138@Oct 26 2005, 04:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DARKSIDE72
@Oct 26 2005, 09:31 PM
You guys realize it's not an ILM Y-wing don't you?
[snapback]1104419[/snapback]​


I don't think anyone has claimed that its an ILM Y-Wing :confused

It's a PFA* replica of the Red Y painted with Gold Y paint scheme. I don't think anyone has claimed that it's anything more or less than that.


PFA = "pretty f'ing accurate"
[snapback]1104429[/snapback]​

Other than the reversed neck parts, and a couple of parts on the upper back it has little in comon with being accurate to the red Y.
[snapback]1104452[/snapback]​
[/b]

Well like I said, it's PFA, not 100% accurate (for example the engine nacelles more resemble a Yellow Y, but still there are differences).

If you look beyond the details, at the dimensions and angles (which anyone who has attempted a Y knows are just as difficult to nail as finding the donor kits) they are also PFA. I can assure you that the cockpit and canopy dimensions are within a mm of the Red Y cockpit at the archive. The angles and curvature are accurate as well.

There are maybe 5 or 6 people on the planet who are attampting to build a 100% accurate replica of a specific filming miniature. There is no way MR or any other company can or should produce something to satisfy those 5 or 6 people.

The work MR does is excellent and appeals to the vast majority of thier customers.
Plus, it's a level of accuracy that LFL approves. MR is just as concerned about the "look and feel" of a replica as much as the detail, and some compromises have to made if they expect to get a product to market and actually make money (which I think is why they're in business?)

My 2 cents.
 

Tony

Well-Known Member
The Y-Wing looks pretty cool to me but I'm dissapointed with the base. It just doesn't look right.
I think someone should re-photograph that Y-Wing without a flash this time.
 

Rogue Studios

Well-Known Member
If the real models stood up and were also filmed under bright lights then why should a flash mess it all up? These things are dirty in real life also someone really likes their airbrush on that thing.
 

nightrider

Sr Member
It looks great to me. The bright lighting the originals were photographed under isn't the same as a cameras' flash. Unlike external lighting which creates shadows, pics taken with regular flash wash everything out and illuminate every nook and cranny. Flash can make the best paint job look like crap. Just look at some of the pics taken by different people of the studio models, some of them are great for showing all the details of the model, but they aren't very flattering of the paint job.
 

JP05

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by wizard@Oct 27 2005, 08:35 AM
It looks great to me. The bright lighting the originals were photographed under isn't the same as a cameras' flash. Unlike external lighting which creates shadows, pics taken with regular flash wash everything out and illuminate every nook and cranny. Flash can make the best paint job look like crap. Just look at some of the pics taken by different people of the studio models, some of them are great for showing all the details of the model, but they aren't very flattering of the paint job.
[snapback]1104725[/snapback]​

A crappy paintjob is a crappy paintjob no matter how many lights you put it under. Flash or no flash..........that is just not deserving of the Ywing.
 

DARKSIDE72

Sr Member
Originally posted by Vinyl Guy+Oct 26 2005, 08:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vinyl Guy @ Oct 26 2005, 08:27 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DARKSIDE72
@Oct 26 2005, 10:24 PM

Other than the reversed neck parts, and a couple of parts on the upper back it has little in comon with being accurate to the red Y.
[snapback]1104452[/snapback]​

Jamie
Without specifics, how are the rest of us "mere mortals" ever going to learn as much as you? :cry


Dan
[snapback]1104560[/snapback]​
[/b]
It's either an exact replica or an implied replica. It's that simple.
 
Top