"studio scale desanto viper"

It's common name is MKIV Viper. It was the design for the Tom DeSanto and Brian Singer Galactica production that collapsed "because" of Singer's obligation to direct X-Men 2.

Yeah that was the famous "lost" version of Galactica, that was in the works before Ron Moore got ahold of it.

They had built Vipers (full scale.) and sets... but they were all put in storage when production was halted... then all that work was DESTROYED due to a clerical error. :confused

desanto-prod-viper-model.jpg

desanto-prod-viper-build08.jpg

Here's more on the full story of the DeSanto Galactica (click the links to the left for a ton of preproduction art and text)...

http://www.cylon.org/bsg/bsg-desanto-01.html

- ik

The fact that the prop was being stored at all was the clerical error. Usually it is cheaper to rebuild this stuff all over than it is to pay rent on a storage unit over several months.

Hello Everybody... I am a new BSG fan, being that I was introduced to it earlier this year by my boyfriend, BlueSquad2001. When I was growing up we, of course, watched only the TV programs that Dad watched. He was not into Sci Fi of any kind. I totally missed out on BSG as a kid.

I won't beat around the bush about why I joined today. The reason is because I think there is indeed a huge misunderstanding going on. I want to try to ask those who are upset to take three deep breaths, exhaling slowly, and then read on:

First of all I would like to ask those involved in this "argument" to please acknowledge that it is pretty easy to have misunderstandings on the internet. For the most part, we don't know each other personally, we may come from very different backgrounds, and when we communicate in text only, then the recipient of the message misses out on tone of voice and facial expressions.

Although I am not a model-builder, I have always loved making things... anything, whether it be ceramic frogs, flower pots, macrame owls, or sock monkeys. Naturally I was interested in the BSG models that BlueSquad2001 was working on as well.

I've been through this entire process with BlueSquad2001 and would like to point out a few things. The order in which things happen is important I think.

1. Yes, BlueSquad2001 was upset about the way information is hoarded and protected, making it hard for people to create their own accurate models. This is TRUE.

2. When people began to send him information (which was about the shuttle, not the viper) and asked him NOT to share it with anybody, he expressed to me that he had no choice but to keep these images and blueprints to himself. He hasn't given them to anyone, and he does not intend to. I would be mad at him if he did.

3. He has spent about $1500 on models to collect all the necessary greeblies for the Galactica, Viper, Cylon Raiders, and the Blaster. Many of these models haven't been in production for many years. It was quite a task for him to find all of these models and purchase them. There has been about $1000 more invested in this project by me (getting supplies, tools, a place to do the work, etc.)

4. After purchasing the models, he went through the painstaking task of identifying every piece that was used on a BSG model. He has probably spent 3 months on this. His "sources" for the viper and galactica have been photographs that he got off the internet and also from taking movie stills and magnifying them many times and was NOT any secret information/data that somebody entrusted him with.

5. He spent the $$, did the research, and took the time to deal with figuring out the greeblies. THIS information, which is based on his own research, is what he is willing to share with others. He does NOT want anybody else to have to go through this kind of expense and research to build a model.

As for his personality, he too has made the mistake of taking a defensive posture when no attack was intended. It happens. I've seen him apologize for doing so. His approach can often come across as quite abrasive, and I fuss at him for it big time. (When you see that somebody is acting differently than normal, then please realize that some people have bad days... I won't get into his personal life here, but BlueSquad2001 has recently been revisited by some very traumatic memories. I'll leave it at that.)

I think it would have been better for the person upset with him to contact him personally and privately to discuss the matter and make SURE that there was no misunderstanding happening. To go and trash somebody's reputation without taking all precautions first is completely irresponsible and juvenile behavior. I find such a person who is liberal with blame and insults to be severely lacking in credibility.

Now for the name-calling... It doesn't matter who started it. Just stop it. Both of you. I don't care if you're having a bad day or whatever... just calm down and don't post until you can act nice (and more adult-like).

Sorry that I had to introduce myself this way. Can we just be nice now? (Group hug???? OK - OK - I won't push it... LOL) :love

Controversy concerning kit lists and their sharing/not sharing is a reality of this hobby. It's akin to "religion and politics" in that there are very strong feelings on the matter and no one is ever convinced to move from one camp to the other.

It never hurts to ask questions in hopes that those in the "sharing" camp will answer them. But when it's unwittingly asked of someone in the other camp, and the request is declined, it's useless and rude to press the matter. Accept their answer and move on.

Further, if info is shared, be sure it is not considered confidential by the person offering it. As one can see, when the info is passed on it can burn bridges. I know of at least one hobbiest who makes a point of declining information offered when it has a "keep it secret" rider on it, for he would rather be free to pass it along and doesn't want to have to keep track of what he can share and what he can't.

In summary, kit lists is a touchy subject and thus everyone should tread lightly when bringing it up.

I see it certainly is a touchy subject. I hope that the experienced members will find it in their hearts to have mercy on the newbies who don't realize that the things they say may upset some people. If adjustments are made on both ends, then we can get along and help each other with minimal conflict.

Sharing or not sharing? I see both sides really. I understand people not wanting to share in order to protect their investments. Some people take the approach that they worked hard and spent a lot of money on something, therefore they don't want to give it up easily. It will be worth more if less people have it. True. Others who have worked hard and spent a lot of money to get something feel that they do not want others to go through all that work and expense, so they are happy to share. Different personalities and different ways make the world go 'round.

I've worked with both types of people. One friend at work who got promoted, left her work area in the same kind of chaos that she found it in. She had to figure it out and by golly so would the next person.

Another one of my friends from work got promoted and felt differently. She hated learning the ropes the hard way, so she made a notebook of daily responsibilities, instructions on how to do everything, what to do if something went wrong, where to find needed supplies, etc. On the front of the notebook she used red tape to make a "red cross" and called it the "laboratory emergency survival guide" or something like that. She moved upstairs to her new job and the guy who got her old job was appreciative and just had to meet this thoughtful person who left him the notebook.

As of now, they have been married three years. :p

So, let this be a lesson to all... If you are generous with information YOU WILL END UP MARRYING THAT PERSON. Please be careful. 2 cents

Originally posted by Protector@Dec 6 2005, 09:53 AM
So, let this be a lesson to all...  If you are generous with information YOU WILL END UP MARRYING THAT PERSON.
[snapback]1129756[/snapback]​

:lol

If you've not read the above thread at Colonial Fleets, you'll find that Tom DeSanto has now given his approval on the work that Bluesquad2001 has done, as well as supplied him w/some of the never-before-seen artwork from the defunct remake/continuation. I was at Bluesquad2001's house earlier today and got to see not only the progress he's made, but was fortunate to have had a peek at the artwork. Very kewel.

I'm not normally in to studio scale kits, but this is one I'm definitely considering getting. 'Course, that means I'd have to get a studio scale Viper, too.... :confused :p

Originally posted by Griffworks@Dec 10 2005, 04:38 PM
If you've not read the above thread at Colonial Fleets, you'll find that Tom DeSanto has now given his approval on the work that Bluesquad2001 has done, as well as supplied him w/some of the never-before-seen artwork from the defunct remake/continuation.  I was at Bluesquad2001's house earlier today and got to see not only the progress he's made, but was fortunate to have had a peek at the artwork.  Very kewel. 

I'm not normally in to studio scale kits, but this is one I'm definitely considering getting.  'Course, that means I'd have to get a studio scale Viper, too....   :confused  :p
[snapback]1133209[/snapback]​

I agree with Griffworks,..this is a worthy studio scale project. Along with the other studio scale Battlestar models out there that I have already purchased,...I also bought a DeSanto Viper from Bluesquad2001 a few days ago for my museum. I am looking forward to seeing it completed as well as the other Battlestar projects he has on the horizon. Those of you that know me through email communication also know I only purchase the items I believe to be top quality.

Originally posted by Kuhn Global+Dec 10 2005, 04:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kuhn Global @ Dec 10 2005, 04:29 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Griffworks
@Dec 10 2005, 04:38 PM
If you've not read the above thread at Colonial Fleets, you'll find that Tom DeSanto has now given his approval on the work that Bluesquad2001 has done, as well as supplied him w/some of the never-before-seen artwork from the defunct remake/continuation.  I was at Bluesquad2001's house earlier today and got to see not only the progress he's made, but was fortunate to have had a peek at the artwork.  Very kewel. 

I'm not normally in to studio scale kits, but this is one I'm definitely considering getting.  'Course, that means I'd have to get a studio scale Viper, too....   :confused  :p
[snapback]1133209[/snapback]​

I agree with Griffworks,..this is a worthy studio scale project. Along with the other studio scale Battlestar models out there that I have already purchased,...I also bought a DeSanto Viper from Bluesquad2001 a few days ago for my museum. I am looking forward to seeing it completed as well as the other Battlestar projects he has on the horizon. Those of you that know me through email communication also know I only purchase the items I believe to be top quality.
[snapback]1133237[/snapback]​
[/b]

"I also bought a DeSanto Viper from Bluesquad2001 a few days ago for my museum"
Are you saying you have in your possession a Desanto Viper from him already?
I'm on his pre-order list and can't wait to get mine.

[Are you saying you have in your possession a Desanto Viper from him already?
I'm on his pre-order list and can't wait to get mine.]
[snapback]1133259[/snapback]​
[/quote]

LOL..yes ..sorry :confused ..I paid him already, but it is still on pre-order. I should have been more specific. :) :D

Yup, me too. I got mine on preorder also. How many preorders did he take anyway? 10 I think? Cann't wait to get it to go with my SS TOS Viper and my SS MK II. Now If scifi models would just finish their SS MK VII I'd be all set...

Chris

Originally posted by Dobber@Dec 12 2005, 06:42 AM
Yup, me too. I got mine on preorder also. How many preorders did he take anyway? 10 I think? Cann't wait to get it to go with my SS TOS Viper and my SS MK II. Now If scifi models would just finish their SS MK VII I'd be all set...

Chris
[snapback]1134094[/snapback]​

I didn't know Sci Fi Models was getting a SS MKVII kit. :eek Wow..kewl. I am waiting for Frank Cerney's future master of that kit,... or are they one and the same we are speaking of? I know it's been talked about for some time,.. but his AWESOME MKIV (Starbuck and Apollo Edition's) have been taking up much of his time I'm sure. In any case it will be interesting to see that kit,..especially the details. I would be on board for getting one from each master. So count me in,..put me on the list,..whatever. LOL. I love this stuff. :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back