Studio Scale Batwing ('89 Film)

jvasilatos

Sr Member
I am restoring a casting from the studio scale model to remold a clean version for myself.

It needs a LOT of work.

I decided instead of building it up into a kit, I would clean up this casting and improve it (add a cockpit box and custom Batman pilot since the one that came with this was not cast from the studio model and looks like a comic book Batman instead of Michael Keaton in the film suit.) In fact, none of the cockpit detail from the studio model is present (the lower half of the seat or '89 style Batman figure) so it's going to be a project to clean up and restore. My intention is to completely restore the body, smooth it, essentially assemble it as if it were the sculpt master to clean up the seams, etc. and then recast it either in silicone for resin pulls or consult with another friend on how to do a vacuform molding so that a pull is lightweight, hollow and allows for internal lighting electronics (similar material to what lightweight radio controlled aircraft are made of or white stormtrooper armor for costuming) if I can also find someone with a vacuform machine.

Here are pictures of what I bought:

ss_batwing1.jpg

ss_batwing2.jpg

And the studio model I was told it was cast from (although I don't know how many generations):

ss_batfin1.jpg

ss_batfin2.jpg

Other pics of the studio model and the cockpit detail I would like to restore:

batwing.jpg

batwing1.jpg

batwing2ndshot.jpg

batwingcloseup.jpg

batwingunder.jpg

Finally, the first phase of puttying and sanding down the parts, which in person had much more work required than that first set of pics above suggest. The orange pieces are some kind of resin fiberglass and a little brittle, which is why I figured it would make more sense to clean up the parts, restore it as a mold master and then do a clean pull for myself (since I would also want to install the flight lights in the wing as well.) The left, lighter side is the first side I have started cleaning up and sanding...

batwing_1.jpg

batwing_2.jpg

batwing_3.jpg

batwing_4.jpg

batwing_5.jpg

batwing_6.jpg

baywing_7.jpg

Nope, it ain't pretty but will be a challenging and rewarding project when done. So if anyone else is really interested, I will keep everyone posted on progress.

If anyone wants to help also with the moldmaking process after I restore the master parts and make this a group project, please let me know.

JV

Thanks guys.

I will post more and get info to people as I know more, however I am in communication with a few people who offered to get involved with the moldmaking process when I clean this up so I will keep everyone updated.

JV

I had one of those before, but it was too much clean-up work to make it look decent that I end-up selling it.

Plus it was a solid cast which was very heavy and difficult to display.

When I bought it, I had hoped for more details on it like the larger 8 foot animatronic Batwing model.

Good luck on the re-tooling :)

Nick

Yeah I want it to have the better detail and cleaner look of the animatronic model with the correct style pilot.

<div class='quotetop'>(Houston Robocop @ Jun 4 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]1255731[/snapback]</div>
I had one of those before, but it was too much clean-up work to make it look decent that I end-up selling it.

When I bought it, I had hoped for more details on it like the larger 8 foot animatronic Batwing model.

Good luck on the re-tooling :)

Nick
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(knightdriver2001 @ Aug 16 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]1301883[/snapback]</div>
Just thought I would bump this back. Any news on this project?
[/b]

I've been so absorbed with my two studio scale TIE Fighter buildups that I have not done anything with this since the last post and now I am in the middle of building a Y-Wing. I will probably get back to it sometime in the next couple of months.

JV

Hey guys...

I had put this on the shelf until I had some other projects out of the way, since it looks like there is so much interest I will continue cleaning it up. I will probably need help though from someone who knows how to cast it, since it is a big piece.

JV

You know, you could probably vacuform this as a kit. The question would be......choosing the right density styrene, and quality of the details once the styrene is vac'd into shape. I have seen vacuform kits of amazing detail and some of dubious pedigree. Echoleader or chewie15 might be able to help you with the casting. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvasilatos @ Nov 28 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]1367452[/snapback]</div>
Hey guys...

I had put this on the shelf until I had some other projects out of the way, since it looks like there is so much interest I will continue cleaning it up. I will probably need help though from someone who knows how to cast it, since it is a big piece.

JV
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Houston Robocop @ Jun 3 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]1255731[/snapback]</div>

Nick
[/b]

Wouldn't rotocasting solve some of these problems?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back