studio scale 66" Enterprise:

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by trooper, Apr 30, 2012.

1. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is by far the largest endeavor Ive ever made when it comes to models.

i loved to watch the tv show when i was young, and when i saw the 18" model in a store i had to have it, it was just the coolest thing to have the ship from the show in my very hands, much the same feeling i have now, it's the sense of aw, wonder and excitement we have as we are young and carry with us into adult hood, which given the site this is on, I'm sure we can all relate on some level :)

i hope in the next coming months you enjoy the videos.

if you have any suggestions or questions i would like to hear them. or if there is something you would like me to go over that has not been done, just let me know and i will make sure to include it on the video.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Re: 1/2 studio scale enterprise, My 66" big E from steve neil. last of the mohicans

I'll be watching and learning!

3. trooper

Re: 1/2 studio scale enterprise, My 66" big E from steve neil. last of the mohicans

as your video taping :) right! :)

4. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Re: 1/2 studio scale enterprise, My 66" big E from steve neil. the last of the mohic

Of course, and maybe even sniffing some glue? ;) :D

5. trooper

Re: 1/2 studio scale enterprise, My 66" big E from steve neil. the last of the mohic

:lol ca is no fun to sniff, but now you can really kill come brain cells with lacquer thinner or fiber glass resin :LOL

6. jkno

jkno Master Member

This is VERY promising!! Will be watching as well!!

7. Caladonis

Caladonis Member

Thanks for documenting this and I though you did great on the video. Looking forward to your build.

8. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

subscribed to the thread now!

9. trooper

here is a couple tech tips i thought some of you would enjoy :)

how to fix warped resin - YouTube

i dont know why the videos are coming you so crappy, i apologize and i will figure it out :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  10. trooper

well, here's a couple pics of what i got done today, I got allot done:)
    i have a bunch of video but I'm dog tired. I will get the video edited and load it up tomorrow.

11. trooper

couldnt sleep :( to tired lol
    so i got this video up.
    i hope you guys enjoy it, im sorry for the crappy quality, though i think i figured it out :) well see how the next vidy comes out

1/2 studio scale 66" star trek tos big E project - YouTube

12. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Oh sure, do the exciting stuff when I'm not around! I come over, it's a sanding video. You ever record grass grow? Paint drying? J/K ;) :D LMK when the women come back Jerry and I'll help "record" then. :)

13. trooper

great, so your going to be here tomorrow :D

i cant offord YOUR kind of women :lol

14. Caladonis

Caladonis Member

Making some good progress I see, and looking good!

15. trooper

thank you :)

16. trooper

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  17. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Great video! Your tripod must be AWESOME! I feel like I'm almost right there with you!

:D

18. trooper

:( so it's as boring as watching the grass grow! ....great :lol

19. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Looking good. Nice tip on using the hair dryer to speed up the Bondo, never thought of that.

You need some more light for the vids, higher resolution would be nice too. I'd really like to see what you're doing :)

20. trooper

thank you robn1-
    ive found just about everything that requires any kind of activator is thermo activated, so hit with some heat and it will cure quicker, this also works with silicones :)
    OK, after fiddling with my nhc video pad editor, i discovered that it's dummying down my videos, i cant seem to upload from the video pad to you tube directly and get hd quality video, but if i save it to my pc then upload to youtube i get hd ??? I'm not pc literate, so if any of you know what my problem is, please pm me :):)

i will also try to get the other vidys fixed

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  21. robn1

robn1 Master Member

If you're using a program with a built in "upload to youtube" function it probably uses a low res as default. If you can't change the resolution, try just uploading from your youtube page. Bear in mind that 30 minutes of HD will take a few hours at least to upload.

22. trooper

uploaded a beter copy of the video...this should be much better :)

23. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Like night and day, thanks! Hope it didn't take too long :)

24. trooper

only 3 hours :) lol i know there has to be a better way. i have to load the edtied video to my pc and then to youtube....very long process

25. trooper

OK, so dry fitting is all done, every thing is completely level, shes sitting on her own weight ( no stands to hold up the saucer ) , all bubbles centered...im so freaking happy i can %$#^&*(

so now she comes apart and i start the real fun, drilling out windows and filling them with dental acrylic..still need to find a place that will sell to me :( I'm not a dentist lol, adding lights and all the electronics...fun fun fun :lol:lol

a quick note, the pipe is not level, it needs to be adjusted, which i will do when i take her a part :)

26. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

27. Spheric Thor

Spheric Thor Well-Known Member

28. trooper

thanks rich, but i need the clear suff :)

spheric thor, thanks man, thats the link i was going to look for in steves veeeeery long thread :lol

29. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

I lift my pinky in the air and say, "Oh, special aren't we." What non-clear isn't good enough, fancy schmancy elitist attitude. Maybe you need some caliberation? I'll make an adjustment to you on Sunday.

;)

30. trooper

Re: 1/2 studio scale enterprise, My 66" big E from steve neill. the last of the mohi

uh oh! that doesnt sound good :lol

31. Caladonis

Caladonis Member

Re: 1/2 studio scale enterprise, My 66" big E from steve neill. the last of the mohi

I just got some of the finger nail acrylic and the good thing is you can get it everywhere. I'll will let you know how it works out.

32. trooper

i got some yesterday, it looks great! the only thing is it was $50 , I'm going to buy some of it off ebay that Ive seen for $10 for the powder just to see if it is the same quality, just so i know for future need :)

33. kahn1701

kahn1701 Active Member

Trooper

Great to see you working away on the BIE E.
    Its going to be a blast watching you work..

My real jobs been keeping me away from My BIG E
    the last few mounths.

Thanks for the heads up and great Video.Keep it up..

Paul/kahn1701

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  34. trooper

Paul, thank you :)
    been doing the boooring task of drilling windows :facepalm
    just be thankful your employed, many are struggling to find work around here, you'll get back to it soon....i look forward to seeing your done.

35. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I've been wondering how you were coming along Paul, I'm looking forward to seeing both of these ships done :)

Oh and Monster Makers does have the clear dental acrylic, you just have to look for it.

36. kahn1701

kahn1701 Active Member

Trooper
    Chk the window templates when drilling/cutting your window.
    I needed to go back and enlarge some of my windows after the fact.
    They needed be slightly bigger in some places.
    Also one of my video covers a couple windows Steve Missed.
    That are on the CD he sent you.
    (Luv you STEVE...LOL)
    Just a little advice..LOL

Robin 1
    Thank you for the support.
    I'll get back on my BIG E soon.

Thank you all
    Paul/kahn1701

37. trooper

thanks for the heads up, i did see that, i also found a couple windows not on the kit, it will be on my next video. i was making sure the temp's would fit and noticed that i did need to make the wholes larger, after i already cut em out :( there fine now :)

38. Orbital Drydock

Orbital Drydock Active Member

Lookin' good man!

I'm SO jealous of you, building your nice well done kit :p

On the dental acrylic, if you have a Sally Beauty supply close. Try their Beauty Secrets clear nail powder, it's a good product & only about $7 for enough to do the build 4x over.

Also wanted to suggest a Bondo sub. USC makes 2 great products "Icing" & "Thin Ice". They're comparable in price to Bondo, but way easier to sand & lighter. Bondo uses limestone as the filler & the USC ICE stuff is a glass bead filler. Of course evercoat is the ultimate, but is $45.

Again Lookin' good!

39. trooper

Orbital- thank you very much :D
    i cant wait to come to Portland in a couple months and see the ship you built :)

in a test i did, i noticed that the back side is textured, is this normal? it would seem i need to sand it down or it will show up when lite. does the stuff you use do the same thing ?

ron1- thanks man :D

40. Orbital Drydock

It seems to be the nature of the beast. The back will have a frosted look. I filled the holes completely then smoothed over the powder before applying the monomer. It helped keep the surface level at least.

Are you going for clear or diffused windows?

41. trooper

i gave up trying to do the clear resin windows while working on my 350 refit, i could never find a resin that cures in a reasonable time and with out all the bubbles. so im going diffused on this and if it looks good im going to do the same on my refit.

42. Orbital Drydock

I hear ya, clear windows are such a pain. Unless there is something to see inside I go diffused.

43. trooper

well, here's the next video, sorry these are so long :)
    i do need to stop taking a nap after work and then shoot videos with out combing my hair first :lol .....:unsure

1/2 studio scale 66" star trek tos big E project #3 - YouTube

44. Retep1701a

Retep1701a New Member

Can't wait till Round 2 1/350 comes out. Have mine on reserved.

45. trooper

yep, me two :)

46. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Jerry you are doing an outstanding job. Good job on cutting the windows first before you fixed that warped SOB. Unfortunately the Engineering hull has a bad warp in it and the saucer has a few too from the molds just getting tired. But you're fixing them right up good.

Steve

47. trooper

Re: DS9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

thank you very much Steve :) , it's really not that bad, as i stated in the video....im a bit * and ocd :lol
    I'm very happy with this kit, you have no idea :lol , i would build several if i could, you did an outstanding job in building this, thank you

hopefully I'll do ya proud :)

now if i can get mods to understand this IS studio scale :lol ...and move it back :)

48. trooper

Re: DS9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

haaaaa, thank you :D :lol

back home! back home! :D

49. kahn1701

kahn1701 Active Member

Re: studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohicans

Great work.
    I still have flash backs about all the Everclear,sanding and painting oH MY...LOL

Paul/kahn1701

50. trooper

Re: studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohicans

funny that I should enjoy that sort of stuff :) i just do. :D