Studio Half Scale TOS Enterprise Scratch build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of running around town today picking up more parts and materials and then a bit of sheeting to the secondary hull.

I took Brandon's advise and added some extra support for the pylons internally because before I mold this model I'll stick as much of it together for a look. I'm trying to make this as plug and play as possible. The neck will fit the saucer section in a similar fashion to that of the pylons. Same with the nacelles. Just add glue. ;)

I'm hoping to finish the other half tomorrow and move on to the neck. I will skin all this with glass cloth and epoxy before I can really preen it up, Scribe, yada, yada.

Steve

P1050500.jpg

P1050501.jpg

P1050502.jpg

Me likey!

I know I'm getting ahead of the game, but what are your thoughts/plans with the shuttlebay? closed doors?

I've been drooling over the "E" in the 5.5 foot scale ever since I saw the Making of Trials And Tribulations.

The "E" looked GORGEAOUS filmed with new(er) VFX technology, and the model was incredible.

What would my say with a 3-foot diameter sphere, and a 5.5-foot long Enterprise in my garage?

Steve,
I continued to be amazed at both your talent and speed. This is just an awesome and inspiring project. Yet again, I must say thanks for sharing your build with us.

Will

A nice big shaft up a pilot tube inside the secondary hull. And what are you say?? Your planing an early big E with the ball? That would be extremely cool!

Will thanks a whole bunch again!

OK. I'm glad to be at the end of the sheeting of these two hull sections. Monotonous is not the word best to describe this. In fact I thought the secondary hull shape would be easier than the saucer. It wasn't.

So I'm filling a preening the wood as best I can and then I'll glass it and finish it off. But first tomorrow I'm going to make the neck so I can epoxy everything at once.

More tomorrow.

Steve

P.S. BTW the rubber bands at the former locations work great to preform and cut when the balsa is ammonia water soaked. Let dry and sheeting is a breeze!

P1050504.jpg

P1050505.jpg

P1050506.jpg

P1050507.jpg

Do it!!!

Kuhn thanks so much.

First the good news. I can work straight through on the Enterprise with no interruption.

Bad news. UPS destroyed a Custom Replicas Disney Nautilus Model kit that was sent to me to build for a customer. They ran over this beautiful 1650.00 dollar model as the tire track on the box clearly points out. It's a shame because this is my income this month with the studios slow. I get paid a lot of money to build these subs and make them radio controlled. And they will take months to sort this out.

Steve

Steve,
This is exactly the reason I never use UPS, I know they will use the "it wasn't packed correctly" excuse. Just make sure you ask them "should everything shipped by you be packed to withstand the weight of a truck?".....then point to the tire marks. Your other problem is the shipper and not you will have to straighten this out since hes the one who insured it.....trust me I've had these same problems with insured packages shipped to me.

Bad news. UPS destroyed a Custom Replicas Disney Nautilus Model kit that was sent to me to build for a customer. They ran over this beautiful 1650.00 dollar model as the tire track on the box clearly points out.

I had to start the neck pylon over yesterday it just wasn't going to work well the way I was going about it with formers and sheeting.

So I extrapolated the root cord of the top and bottom of the neck from my plans, made a solid piece of balsa cut to the neck shape and using plywood templates and a sanding bar contoured shaped it.

BTW it was a right and left half setup of course.

Tomorrow it's time to final sand and glass these masters. The neck won't be attached until it's been glassed and scribed. Easier to work on that way.

More tomorrow,

Steve

P1050520.jpg

P1050521.jpg

P1050522.jpg

P1050523.jpg

P1050524.jpg

P1050529.jpg

P1050530.jpg

Steve, will the final kit require an internal armature, or will the 'glass be robust enough that the model components will support their own weight?

I'll leave that up to the builder. However it maybe be strong enough from the thickness of the epoxy. We shall see.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back