Suggestion Stuck Threads

JD

Master Member
It's getting to a point where there are just too many stuck threads in the Movie Talk forum. It's just tedious... 10 stuck threads with a great many of them being links to other sites that Vivek or others have posted.

While I understand this might be an effort to reduce redundant threads - it's just becoming too much to have every movie in release (and not even wide release - I haven't heard of a couple of them).

I mean... Croods has two whole posts and is a kids movie. Trance is in limited release. The Host is Twilightesque. The Place Beyond the Pines is also in limited release (and technically a 2012 film).

While any of those films might appeal to some members of the RPF, I really don't think most of them deserve to be stuck. ...and if they are, what makes them better than say... West of Memphis (also limited), Tyler Perry's Temptation (also out tomorrow), Room 237 (about Kubrick/King's The Shining - limited release).

There's got to be a better way than sticking so many threads all at once. How about one thread with links to current movies? Stick that - say "Hey - LINKS TO CURRENT MOVIE THREADS" or something?

(Dangit, that's supposed to say STUCK not Struck Threads)

Last edited:
While I understand this might be an effort to reduce redundant threads - it's just becoming too much to have every movie in release (and not even wide release - I haven't heard of a couple of them).
http://www.therpf.com/f47/movie-release-dates-thread-list-note-spoiler-172129/#post2747816 (Check post #3 in this thread)

That's one of the reasons for these sticky threads, to highlight the movies released for the current week and past week so members are aware of them, especially ones which are beyond the big releases. There are far more movies released every week like some of the other ones you mentioned which got released this week, but I only went with the 4 movies for the sticky threads.

http://www.therpf.com/f47/escape-planet-earth-post-release-176582/#post2754776 (Post #10)
http://www.therpf.com/f47/dead-man-down-post-release-178652/#post2804600 (Post #3)
I addressed some of these concerns in the above thread as well.

I mean... Croods has two whole posts and is a kids movie. Trance is in limited release. The Host is Twilightesque. The Place Beyond the Pines is also in limited release (and technically a 2012 film).
Members with kids also tend to watch kids movie, besides animated movies are watched and enjoyed by adults as well. Trance is having a bigger release in UK. The Host is also sci-fi. The Place Beyond the Pines is only listed on IMDB as 2012 cause it premiered at the film festival last year. Yes, it's limited, getting released this week in LA, NY and will be slowly expanding.

There's got to be a better way than sticking so many threads all at once. How about one thread with links to current movies? Stick that - say "Hey - LINKS TO CURRENT MOVIE THREADS" or something?
http://www.therpf.com/f47/movie-release-dates-thread-list-note-spoiler-172129/
In the coming weeks, number of movies releasing on the same weekend will be considerably reduced as there will be comparatively less competition due to the bigger releases and we will be cutting down the sticky threads.

Last edited:
It's out of control. By your reasoning, we should have a sticky thread for every tv show, book, etc. that you can find a link to create a thread for.

It's just crazy to have 10 stuck threads - as I said with every movie that you deem relevant (or can find some link to) - impeding the normal flow of post traffic. It's silly.

I used to have the same issue, hated all the silly stickies; then I just clicked the hide button for that thread and poof! Silliness be gone!
There's an RPF plug-in to hide all manner of threads. I highly recommend giving it a shot. Though for mobile devices its still an annoyance.

I used to have the same issue, hated all the silly stickies; then I just clicked the hide button for that thread and poof! Silliness be gone!
There's an RPF plug-in to hide all manner of threads. I highly recommend giving it a shot. Though for mobile devices its still an annoyance.
Why not fix the actual problem?

JD, because we don't see it as a problem, but as a solution to a problem.
The solution, in this case is worse than the problem. You can't tell me that Croods - which is going into its 2nd week and has all of two posts- might've been overlooked? :facepalm

I don't see a problem with a stuck thread or two - but it's gotten way out of hand and its detracting from the usefulness and 'browsability' of the site. You just have to read my first post to understand why some of theses threads don't need to be stuck.

Part of me thinks its about the moderators glorifying of his own post - which are mostly links to other sites anyhow. :confused

Anyhow - it's not a terribly huge issue - but, it's just plain silly to flood the front page of a forum like that. It's not a solution... It's most definitely creating a problem.

Poison was the cure? :thumbsdown

Thanks for the input guys. I knew early on that the month of March was going to be little crowded with more movies than the usual. But you will be seeing the number of sticky threads far less than what is currently listed from next week.

Part of me thinks its about the moderators glorifying of his own post - which are mostly links to other sites anyhow. :confused
Wow JD, I don't want to explain myself regarding the first part of that sentence, as it appears you have clearly made up your mind as to what I do around here and as to why I do it. As for the links, I mention and credit sites cause that's where the update came from, whether it's a trailer or insightful commentary by the writer regarding the movie which the reader might find interesting.

The solution, in this case is worse than the problem. You can't tell me that Croods - which is going into its 2nd week and has all of two posts- might've been overlooked? :facepalmn

I think you are taking it a bit far. Are there a number of stuck threads? Yes. Why? Because there are a number of movies out right now. Vivek is working through a well thought out plan, and sometimes there will be more and sometimes less. Is it something we might refine in the future a bit? Sure. Is that something we are going to make a snap-decision on and break a carefully thought out system for just because this month has a lot of movies? No. Not yet.

Part of me thinks its about the moderators glorifying of his own post - which are mostly links to other sites anyhow. :confusedn

Completely and totally uncalled for, out of line and disrespectful. I asked Vivek to come up with a plan to promote the discussion of movies and he has... on his own time, and with his own effort and as with so many others, without payment. I would think you, of all people, would understand that, since you have done some of the same things for the community on the test site. This has absolutely nothing to do with ego of self glorification, but with a member serving the community as I asked him to do. I am really disappointed to see you making such accusations against another member who is only here to serve.

Anyhow - it's not a terribly huge issue - but, it's just plain silly to flood the front page of a forum like that. It's not a solution... It's most definitely creating a problem.

We just aren't going to agree here as I don't see this as the out-of-control problem you do, and considering we aren't seeing an overwhellming number of complaints...

If I'm to be completely honest it's come to the point that I just scroll past all the stickies without looking at them. The point of a sticky is to draw attention to something but since there are always so many in a couple forums they disappear to me.

That said, it doesn't hurt my RPF experience at all.

I took this to PM.

Again, this isn't terribly huge issue. Was just trying to point out (possible) a shortcoming of the forum.

...and it wasn't my intention to come off as as attacking Vivek for posting links. That came out way more harshly than intended.

If I'm to be completely honest it's come to the point that I just scroll past all the stickies without looking at them. The point of a sticky is to draw attention to something but since there are always so many in a couple forums they disappear to me.

That said, it doesn't hurt my RPF experience at all.

This is what I do to since 97% of them are nothing i'd ever think of watching.

I always take a look in the morning to see if there is a new movie I haven't heard about, otherwise I just scroll past the stickies.
"Scrolling past the Stickies" is the working title to my memoirs, don't steal it!! :lol ;)

Maybe an idea would be to only stickie a movie thread for the first week, instead of 2 weeks. With the summer season quickly setting upon us there are going to be a lot of movies coming out. It might help alleviate some of the frustration people like JD are experiencing.

I always take a look in the morning to see if there is a new movie I haven't heard about, otherwise I just scroll past the stickies.
"Scrolling past the Stickies" is the working title to my memoirs, don't steal it!! :lol ;)

"Scrolling past the stickies" is going to be my term for walking past the cakes and honeybuns at the grocery store now.:lol

That's what she said?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back