Stuart freeborn original piece ?

Bushwookie89

Can anyone authenticate this? I found this in a 80 year old man's garage who claimed he got it back in the late 70's or early 80's. At some point idk if I want to sell or keep it but anything is appreciated in pointing me in the right direction thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6428.jpg
    IMG_6428.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_6429.jpg
    IMG_6429.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 190
That looks too much like a Prequel-era Yoda to me to be around the 70's or 80's. Also, did anyone know who Yoda was leading up to ESB? Considering he was a 'reveal' character, I don't know if it would've been commonly known who he was leading up to ESB's release.

I agree on the prequel it definitely looks that way but I'm not sure if freeborn had anything to do with the prequels. And if he didn't this is original trilogy work

I don't know anything about the piece, but Stuart Freeborn did have a studio. I wonder if this was just a sculpted/cast piece made and given as gifts from his studio or something.

I don't know anything about the piece, but Stuart Freeborn did have a studio. I wonder if this was just a sculpted/cast piece made and given as gifts from his studio or something.
Do you happen to know more about this studio and if family is still involved with it ? I'm guessing in England maybe is my best guess

I agree on the prequel it definitely looks that way but I'm not sure if freeborn had anything to do with the prequels. And if he didn't this is original trilogy work

Freeborn had likely nothing to do with the Prequels, everything was done with Australian shops and spaces down there as that's where the film(s) were shot. Likely, this was gifted to him (it's also signed '#2', so there were a number of these) or he was part of some limited run, signed it and it was spirited away.

His connection to Yoda was that he was the guy who sculpted the original puppet and it was partially based on his likeness, so it's understandable why they'd like his involvement/blessing in any way.

When we made Yoda we didn't really know what kind of costume he would have and nothing was sculpted with a costume. Also prior to the final design Stu's sculpts were closer to Joe Johnson's drawings. It was late on that he was influenced by Wendy's sculpt that the Yoda you know was created. Doesn't look like Stu's signature to me either, but in his latter years he signed things at conventions anyway.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back