Stripping Paint

Smiling Demon

Sr Member
What is the best way to strip paint from a model kit?
I have a few STar Trek ships that are painted and I would like to refinish the with a new paint job and decals'
I have heard that Easy-Off oven cleaner works good and I thought about trying that but I would like to get some more imput.

All opinions are welcomed.

Kenny

If it is a plastic kit, I use either of these two

Castrol Purple Degreaser

Wal-Mart Purple Power

Both are the same thing and do a great job of stripping paint off plastic. They are good for other stuff as well, but make sure you follow the handling instructions.

JDH

Brake fluid will not damage the plastic, only strip off the paint. Just brush it on in a thick layer with a brush and then put it into a plastic bag for about 20 minutes and the paint should come right off. Don't try to rub off the paint if it doesn't seem to all come off at once, just brush on another layer of brake fluid and again leave for 20 minutes in a plastic bag. Once all the paint is gone you should rub it with a cloth with household alcohol and leave it to "breathe" for at least 24 hours, if not more, before beginning to prep it for new paint.

Brake fluid, as strange as it may sound, works. Just don't confuse it with brake cleaner which WILL attack the plastic.

It all depends on what exactly the material is. One thing may attack the material while another may not. Try out different things on parts/sides that can be damaged. Can never be too careful

I have tried brake fluid on Vinyl, resin and that hard plastic that military minuature kits are made of (unsure what that type of plastic is called, but many model airplanes are made of it and iirc the FineMolds Star Wars kits, etc.)

It doesn't attack the plastic - just work within 1 hour intervals, apply, wipe off, reapply, then you'll be completely safe.

Though, it is always a good idea to test it for yourself.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
The plastic is just plain old styrene plastic. It is the Ertl Voyager model kit and a couple other Ertl Star Trek kits.

I tried the oven cleaner and did a great job. The model kit looks like it just came out of the plastic. Looks like it was never painted.

Thanks again,
Kenny

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back