Stripping paint from old model kits?

PeterFor

Hi Everyone.

I have a bunch of old AMT/ERTL star wars model kits that I built and painted when I was much younger. I'd like to think that now I am a little more skilled and artistic and would like to redo these model kits. What would be the best way to completely strip all the paint off these models? Would just regular paint thinner work or is there some other technique?

Thanks in advance

Peter

If they are plastic/styrene kits, regular thinner would most likely eat the kit. Try soaking them for a few days (or more) in a high concentrate solution of household cleaner, like 409, Fantastik, etc. Anything that says do not use on painted surfaces. Personally I have a bucket filled with a solution of half water, half cleaning solution called "Purple Power". Strips almost all my kits clean in about a week or so. If I used and enamel paint of the kit it take a little longer but still comes of all the same. Also a little scrubbing with a toothbrush or dishwashing pad helped.

Or you could try an oven cleaner too, but I'm not sure if it eats plastic or not. There will be other suggestions pop up, I'm sure.

Ryu

I use Castrol Super Clean. It does a great job stripping paint and chrome and it won't hurt the plastic like some finger nail polish removers can.

Jerome

Thanks very much for the tips guys, I appreciate it.

I will give it a shot as soon as possible! I'm starting to get back into model building again so you may be hearing more from me over the next few months
icon_smile.gif

Just an aside, Jerome, I read your post in the OT forum and just wanted to say my thoughts are with you and your family.

Take Care

Peter

Thanks Bigvade

I'm pretty sure it's a styrene kit, at least I think that's what ERTL kits were made of. (At least I hope)

Peter

Easy-Off works on resin too. I'm guessing it'd work on vinyl, but I haven't tried it. Simple Green, 409, and Orange Clean also do a pretty good job of removing most acrylic paints. Stay away from nail polish removers, since some contain acetone and it'll eat the plastic, but it's safe on resin if you have some tough spots you can't get off. For resin kits I also found a paint remover at the auto store in a spray can that just eats the sh** out of paint. Do NOT use it on plastic though. I bought it to strip my motorcycle tank. You spray it on and it foams up and the paint is supposed to be scraped off in 30 minutes. HA! I sprayed my tank and went in the house to get a cup of coffee and when I came back out the paint was sliding off the tank in clumps. Pretty creepy stuff, but it worked great and I had a shiny bare metal tank in less than an hour including sanding off the small rust spots.

Raygun

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back