Stripping latex skins???

bodiee

I have a crap ton of 91% alcohol that im using to strip these snyder wolf skins for my brother, and my question is can i just soak them in the alcohol or will it damage the skins? I've been spraying it on via a water bottle and rubbing it off.The paint is being really stubborn at this point. So i was kinda thinking of letting it soak over night.

why can't you just paint right over it? was the paint peeling off on it's own before you started rubbing it off?

try using Delimonene. It is basically pure citric acid ...removes acrylics and opens pours of latex. If you cant find it, try goo gone ..basically any orange or citric acid remover works best

Just as a heads up, despite smelling good enough to drink, D-Limonene is flammable, irritating to skin, may cause sensitisation by skin contact (when using it neat) and also vary toxic to aquatic organisms therefore disposable needs to be done carefully. We use it in my lab and I thoroughly recommend gloves and eye protection if you go down this route. It also isn't soluble in water so needs to be emulsified with a surfactant. http://www.floridachemical.com is a pretty good company that has lots of information on D-limonene, so it might be worth contacting them directly. We are UK-based and have dealt with them before.

Good heads up Giles ..it should be noted that when using most of the products involved with FX and advanced costume building, that protective apparel should always be worn. It is standard procedure in our shop to glove up ..wear an apron and protective eyewear

I always wear protective gloves and eye wear. The problem with the paint was the guy went crazy thick and it covered all the detail of the skin. I let it sit for a few hours and all of it came off but the black. It was really stringy and the best way to describe is would be like plasti-dip for the handles on your tools. I had to keep soaking it and i got almost all of it off but it was a B***h to do. I'll try and get some pics later.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back