Stretching Muslin - Prop room

joeranger

Sr Member
I would like to stretch Muslin (cotton) over a wood frame. I need to put it on wet and then when it dries it shrinks and tightens up right? I will probably add a little white glue to the water to create a harder surface.
I am making translucent panels so I need a material that will diffuse light.

I've stretched fabric on wooden frames for a room. (I was using a checked fabric, so it had to be straight on the frame.) You don't really have to wet it.

Fasten the fabric at the center of one long side for a couple of inches. Then move to to the opposite side, Stretch the fabric over the frame and fasten it down at the center for a couple of inches. Keep moving side to side working from the center out towards the ends.

When you get close to the ends of the long sides, start at the center of the short sides and repeat what you did on the long sides

When you finally get to the corners of the frame, form a nice mitered corner and cut away excess fabric.

Oh man, I read the thread too quickly, I thought the worst, "Stretching Muslim."

It is amazing how our brain sometimes just fills in most letters in words as we read them. Sometimes it is the wrong letters and can totally change the meaning of the sentence or phrase we are reading. That is why you always read something important more than once.

I wouldn't soak it wet. This is because the muslin is a finer weave than say canvas so the stretching while soaking wet will pull the threads. Also might want to consider if it is 100% cotton muslin or a blend. Blends might give you trouble with sagging. Once the fabric is on the frame I would try using starch instead of glue.

The idea is to have a lightweight inexpensive way to create a scifi ceiling.
Canvas is a little heavier and more expensive but the fibers hold up better.

Muslin reacts to the glue and paint but is cheep and light.

I had been using 4x8 sheets of drywall but they are heavy.

9677193.jpeg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back