Street-side Stall, Mos Eisley

PhuketAussie

Hi there, I'm currently making a display unit in the general style of structure in Most Eisley, or anywhere on Tatooine. I'm using polystyrene packing from a tablesaw and other sources as the main structure. All the various nooks and crannies give brilliant shape and visual appeal, though some will be opened up a bit more I think, as well as some small shelves to be added as needed. I'm planning to apply a finish that will be a mixture of white latex glue and water coloured and textured using beige grout and afterwards colour pigment added for weathering. I'd also like to add a couple of rods up top coming forwards for a cloth covering, like a small awning. I got the basic idea from a Christmas village style Mos Eisley shophouse made by Brian of the Smugglers Guild on YouTube.

At the moment it sits on top of a network switch enclosure on the wall of my classroom, but I might add a lower section at some point and have it standing on the floor instead. The two Hasbro lightsabers were found in a thrift shop, one works, the other had corroded batteries in it, I'm yet to dismantle it and check the main board. However, I'm planning on gutting them and installing normal led lights to use them as lamps, mounted on each side of the display.
20210212_073845.jpg
JPEG_20210212_074603_4806893321867063300.jpg
JPEG_20210212_074625_3399025641393085821.jpg

Cool start! I’ve got a stack of these same kinds of inserts saved from various appliances etc kicking around that I’m intending to turn into some kind of large scale greeblies. Looking forward to see where you go

Cool start! I’ve got a stack of these same kinds of inserts saved from various appliances etc kicking around that I’m intending to turn into some kind of large scale greeblies. Looking forward to see where you go
thanks you :)

I hope to move forward with it soon.

I had a fun idea while walking the dog, don't all great ideas come either when in the shower or walking the dog?!?!

I've been toying with the idea of a shop sign for the stall, but kept drawing blanks, until now. I've got to second-hand Hasbro lightsabres from a thrift store, the green one works, the blue one doesn't (batteries left in and leaked). I'm guessing that the circuit board might still be fine, but a new battery pack might be needed. In any case, I'm going to gut both of them, and use whatever circuitry that works for any future projects. The blue one I'll fill with normal USB powered string of LEDs, and use as a 'flag-pole'. I've decided to attach to it, probably using coloured PVC coated coat-hanger wire, the shop sign like old-style banners.

Here's my design concept, what do you think? Is this a goer?

Watto's Galaxy of Treasures.jpg

With that lightsaber setup I immediately thought of a bug zapper, it would be fun to put a metal grate around the saber and affix some smashed “bugs” to the outside of it like they got zapped and stuck there :D

With that lightsaber setup I immediately thought of a bug zapper, it would be fun to put a metal grate around the saber and affix some smashed “bugs” to the outside of it like they got zapped and stuck there :D
interesting idea, and they are cheap enough to buy here too

I was thinking it would be faked, using the saber blade as the zapper element
Is this the kind of effect you are thinking of? This was just thrown together using an image of mesh of the internet, obviously something better looking would have to be chosen if I go with this idea.

Watto's Galaxy of Treasures.jpg

The overall display piece is coming along nicely. I'm not rushing it, I want students that come into my classroom to have a decent opportunity to see how stuff they normally throw away can be recycled. Recycling, especially in the context of craft, does not come naturally to Thai minds!

The next major step in this project will be to paint it up. But, not with normal paint. My idea at the moment is to mix whitelatex glue with water, with emphasis on the water, and into that mix some beige tiling grout, and a small amount of sand. Paint this on as the base coat over everything. Then add some pigments into the mix to darken the finish and apply some more for weathering/texturing. Any thoughts on this?

I mixed sand and paint together once to make brick tiles for a faux fireplace for Christmas, that worked quite well, so I'm hoping that my current idea will also work.

1.jpg

CE2D781B-78EE-4BFA-977E-274893FB0148.jpeg
I was thinking basically this but longer, with the electrical element being the lightsaber itself. The mesh/grate being a safety element for customers and passerby

Hey hope this project is still moving along! I got one of my inserts painted up and lightly greeblied today. It may need some more detailing because people I’ve shown keep asking if it’s a speaker lol.

Attachments

• 2A68ABB3-1480-4F6B-83D3-243B164B1ADF.jpeg
    2A68ABB3-1480-4F6B-83D3-243B164B1ADF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
Thanks! The surface is a little too pitted because I didn’t want to bother with sealing and smoothing it, but overall for a zero dollar project it was a fun start. I imagine this as some of that vague wall mounted tech you see all over Star Wars

Thanks! The surface is a little too pitted because I didn’t want to bother with sealing and smoothing it, but overall for a zero dollar project it was a fun start. I imagine this as some of that vague wall mounted tech you see all over Star Wars
I think the rough surface texture is vital for authenticity anyway, sometimes rough and ready is best!

Update on my display stand, which almost got cancelled lol

I've made significant progress today on my rather tall diorama. Painting is done, though some touching up might be needed. I've also added greeblies, most of which come from an old laser printer, but one is a piece of Star Trek, can you guess which piece?

To paint the whole diorama I made a wet mix of white latex glue and water, with some tiling grout (don't ask me what colour is written on the packet, I can't read Thai lol.

Next up is to add a few more greeblies and do some weathering. I also want to add some kind of small canopy to suit a street-side stall in Mos Eisley

#starwarsdiorama #starwars #tatooine #moseisley #recycle #upcycle #display #displayshelves #displayunit

20210317_152523.jpg
20210317_162735.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back