Straight Outta Compton (Post-release)

Re: Straight out of Compton

Glorifying idiots who glorified criminal behavior?
And we ask what's wrong with our country?
Lol
I lived thru that "era/error" the first time. No thanks of sitting there reliving it with Paul Giamanti arguing why they are such geniuses

Are you saying by just talking/singing/rapping about it.. that glorifies it?

What parts in particular glorify it for you? (curious)

Like it or not, the musical influence of those guys in the early 1990s LA rap scene was colossal. If they don't deserve a bio movie then neither do the Beatles.

I grew up in L.A. not far from the area those guys rapped about and were from. Being in junior high and listening to them rap about the things going on in and around our neighborhood was pretty surreal. Like them or not, they had an impact on the culture, then and now. Their story deserves to be told as much as anyone else's. I wonder how much of the myth will be propagated versus fact.

Exactly, they are a product of the environment. If it was glorified, that's how it was before they started rapping...

The allure of being in a gang may be lost on those that never had to deal with rough neighborhoods and initiations by the low level thugs promising family and camaraderie when these kids had nothing. Anyways, they had a choice, and they chose music, and it has left a great impression on generations.

Like the great Ice Cube said: We be clubbin', everybody likes when the girls shake somethin'

Yeah yeah, just like those long hairs from the 60's and their sex, drugs, and rock and roll lifestyle :facepalm

Lol
I lived thru that "era/error" the first time. No thanks of sitting there reliving it with Paul Giamanti arguing why they are such geniuses

Lol

If you like 'The Insider', 'Heat', 'Collateral', or any other Michael Mann movie, you will love this movie......it has a tense energy from beginning to end. They put out an amazing movie.....period.

You dont have to like their music or personas. But this is great story telling.

Batguy, funny you said that, my last musical tour was with Ringo last spring. haha.

If you like 'The Insider', 'Heat', 'Collateral', or any other Michael Mann movie, you will love this movie......it has a tense energy from beginning to end. They put out an amazing movie.....period.

You dont have to like their music or personas. But this is great story telling.

Batguy, funny you said that, my last musical tour was with Ringo last spring. haha.

Peace and love.

I don't like rap,but since I don't wanna get in trouble I won't say...much.

Rap is a sign of a falling civilization since it does nothing but glorify being a "straight out" thug,punk at least flips a finger at the establishment,rap is just hedonism and violence for stupid man children.

I refuse to listen to it personally,I have friends who like it but that's as much as I hear of it.

Now metal has some of the straight out violence-but that's different,it's pure evil and involves cutting people up and eating them for example.

They said the same thing about Rock and Roll! :lol

Rap is a sign of a falling civilization since it does nothing but glorify being a "straight out" thug,punk at least flips a finger at the establishment,rap is just hedonism and violence for stupid man children.

I refuse to listen to it personally,I have friends who like it but that's as much as I hear of it.

Now metal has some of the straight out violence-but that's different,it's pure evil and involves cutting people up and eating them for example.

Would Robin Hood have become a folk hero if the laws had been fair and the Sheriff of Nottingham had been a decent guy?

Gangsta Rappers become folk heroes when the socioeconomic system gets too rigged and the local cops are abusing their power.

There is plenty of "rap" that doesn't glorify being a "straight out" thug. Look at Will Smith, he's never used profanity in his songs. There are tons of intellectual rappers like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Illogic, hell some where bona fide established poets before writing hip hop like Saul Williams. Not all rap is about guns and violence.

"gangsta rap" wasnt what many people assumed it was, same as Johnny Cash singing about someone elses story. There is a flip side to the coin however that only someone that grew up in LA and seen first hand power and corruption not just with LAPD but many LEO's in general leading up to and during that era. I had friends at the time who knew a couple of the NWA guys and can tell you they were not what the NWA persona was made out to be. For the most part they were carrying an alter ego to sell records. Its a practice thats been around since any form of entertainment has existed. Only a couple of the "crew" were "gangsters" and im curious as how accurate the movie will be. Im told it was a mess during production.

I watched a few old western movies today. I'm feeling the itch to go ride a horse into town, stick up a bank and shoot the sheriff.

I mean, since these movies glorify that type of thing and I don't have a mind of my own and all.

"gangsta rap" wasnt what many people assumed it was, same as Johnny Cash singing about someone elses story. There is a flip side to the coin however that only someone that grew up in LA and seen first hand power and corruption not just with LAPD but many LEO's in general leading up to and during that era. I had friends at the time who knew a couple of the NWA guys and can tell you they were not what the NWA persona was made out to be. For the most part they were carrying an alter ego to sell records. Its a practice thats been around since any form of entertainment has existed. Only a couple of the "crew" were "gangsters" and im curious as how accurate the movie will be. Im told it was a mess during production.

That has always been my impression of those guys too. They were scary by white suburbanite standards. But when measured against their own peers & background, they probably ranked more artsy & witty than dangerous.

I'm not calling them wussy posers.

Nor am I calling them persecuted innocents.

They were just rockstars, for better and worse. They came from ghetto 1990s LA instead of working class 1960s England. Rockstars generally skew towards self-destructive immature risk-takers who live fast & hard. The NWA guys were also a product of the Rodney King & LA race riots scene. They reflected it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back