Straight Outta Compton (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Lear60man, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Even if you are not a fan of 'gangst rap', this is a well made movie. We saw an advanced screening tonight in Detroit. The energy in the crowd was off the hook. Funny, serious, great story of the things that went on in the rap music scene back in the early 90's. Again....a well made movie. Ice Cubes son is a dead ringer of his father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F5WcFPDzko

Jedifyfe and VilleLeskinen like this.
  2. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Re: Straight out of Compton

I intend to watch the HELL out of this movie. Very excited.

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking forward to seeing this!

4. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

That's good to know the young folks still appreciate classical music...

5. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

Glorifying idiots who glorified criminal behavior?
    And we ask what's wrong with our country?
    Lol
    I lived thru that "era/error" the first time. No thanks of sitting there reliving it with Paul Giamanti arguing why they are such geniuses

Father and Wes R like this.
  6. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

Are you saying by just talking/singing/rapping about it.. that glorifies it?

What parts in particular glorify it for you? (curious)

7. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Like it or not, the musical influence of those guys in the early 1990s LA rap scene was colossal. If they don't deserve a bio movie then neither do the Beatles.

8. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I grew up in L.A. not far from the area those guys rapped about and were from. Being in junior high and listening to them rap about the things going on in and around our neighborhood was pretty surreal. Like them or not, they had an impact on the culture, then and now. Their story deserves to be told as much as anyone else's. I wonder how much of the myth will be propagated versus fact.

monker67 and cayman shen like this.
  9. crabra comander

Exactly, they are a product of the environment. If it was glorified, that's how it was before they started rapping...

The allure of being in a gang may be lost on those that never had to deal with rough neighborhoods and initiations by the low level thugs promising family and camaraderie when these kids had nothing. Anyways, they had a choice, and they chose music, and it has left a great impression on generations.

Like the great Ice Cube said: We be clubbin', everybody likes when the girls shake somethin'

Westies14 and jarvis like this.
  10. Apollo

Yeah yeah, just like those long hairs from the 60's and their sex, drugs, and rock and roll lifestyle :facepalm

11. Lear60man

If you like 'The Insider', 'Heat', 'Collateral', or any other Michael Mann movie, you will love this movie......it has a tense energy from beginning to end. They put out an amazing movie.....period.

You dont have to like their music or personas. But this is great story telling.

Batguy, funny you said that, my last musical tour was with Ringo last spring. haha.

12. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Peace and love.

13. Krull

Krull Sr Member

I don't like rap,but since I don't wanna get in trouble I won't say...much.

Rap is a sign of a falling civilization since it does nothing but glorify being a "straight out" thug,punk at least flips a finger at the establishment,rap is just hedonism and violence for stupid man children.

I refuse to listen to it personally,I have friends who like it but that's as much as I hear of it.

Now metal has some of the straight out violence-but that's different,it's pure evil and involves cutting people up and eating them for example.

Wes R likes this.
  14. Apollo

They said the same thing about Rock and Roll! :lol

jarvis and harrisonp like this.
  15. VilleLeskinen

VilleLeskinen Sr Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gangsta Rap made me do it? :lol Looking foward to seeing the film! Atleast the soundtrack will be a "killer", eh? :D

16. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Would Robin Hood have become a folk hero if the laws had been fair and the Sheriff of Nottingham had been a decent guy?

Gangsta Rappers become folk heroes when the socioeconomic system gets too rigged and the local cops are abusing their power.

harrisonp likes this.
  17. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

There is plenty of "rap" that doesn't glorify being a "straight out" thug. Look at Will Smith, he's never used profanity in his songs. There are tons of intellectual rappers like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Illogic, hell some where bona fide established poets before writing hip hop like Saul Williams. Not all rap is about guns and violence.

Philly, crabra comander and Apollo like this.
  18. robstyle

robstyle Master Member

"gangsta rap" wasnt what many people assumed it was, same as Johnny Cash singing about someone elses story. There is a flip side to the coin however that only someone that grew up in LA and seen first hand power and corruption not just with LAPD but many LEO's in general leading up to and during that era. I had friends at the time who knew a couple of the NWA guys and can tell you they were not what the NWA persona was made out to be. For the most part they were carrying an alter ego to sell records. Its a practice thats been around since any form of entertainment has existed. Only a couple of the "crew" were "gangsters" and im curious as how accurate the movie will be. Im told it was a mess during production.

crabra comander likes this.
  19. FirstPick

FirstPick Well-Known Member

I watched a few old western movies today. I'm feeling the itch to go ride a horse into town, stick up a bank and shoot the sheriff.

I mean, since these movies glorify that type of thing and I don't have a mind of my own and all.

Mr Mold Maker likes this.
  20. batguy

batguy Sr Member

That has always been my impression of those guys too. They were scary by white suburbanite standards. But when measured against their own peers & background, they probably ranked more artsy & witty than dangerous.

I'm not calling them wussy posers.

Nor am I calling them persecuted innocents.

They were just rockstars, for better and worse. They came from ghetto 1990s LA instead of working class 1960s England. Rockstars generally skew towards self-destructive immature risk-takers who live fast & hard. The NWA guys were also a product of the Rodney King & LA race riots scene. They reflected it.

21. Lear60man

As far as the movie goes, it follows the known footsteps of who was doing what at the time. Little or no embellishment trying to recreate history or portraying them as stone cold killers.

Rob hits the nail on the head. NWA was a persona to give a voice to people in Compton (and anyone else who could relate) who had been kept silent. "I heard it was a nightmare during production." I would have to agree, nobody likes Suge Knight rolling up on your filming location and killing people by running them over.

22. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I'm way on board for this film, and patiently waiting for it to come to theaters near me. :)

I also hope this film does well enough that the door to the long rumoured, on again off again, Tupac biopic actually opens. That's a great story that deserves to be told whether or not you think it "glorifies" Gangsta rap.

23. Krull

Krull Sr Member

I know,that rap doesn't bug me-however I still think it's a big pile of rancid stupid,rap is someone messing with a mixer and talking and rhyming so it's a zero skill thing to me.

In other words perfect for the short attention span man children and women we have so much of nowadays.

24. crabra comander

If it were a zero skill issue, I would definitely be a rapper...:lol

I get that a lot of this Dirty South/Teenie rappers may have poisoned the well for a lot of people. They do occasionally spit garbage that makes me say, WTF...

But I generally like all genres of music, except bagpipes of course, (unless we're talking Drop Kick Murphys mixing it in with there punk sound)...but I digest

25. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

Poets talk and rhyme. I guess they have no skill either.

.:MirrorminD:. likes this.
  26. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

Zero skill thing- funny. I don't like a lot of it, and I don't like country or Maroon Five either, but they are all talented or they wouldn't make any money because everybody would be doing it.

The worst guitar player with a cd is still better than you.

I remember people trashing Kenny G. 'I knew guys in college who were better technical players.' Then they are stupid for not playing Kenny G music. Dude has a huge house.

27. Lear60man

Reviews are coming in. Its averaging 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. I told yall it was good neener neener neener.

28. Apollo

It's THUG -A - LICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

29. crabra comander

Nana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo...rap biopic is better than you you.

30. Lear60man

The director called me a few day ago to talk airplanes etc. He could not be happier at the rave reviews the movie is getting. Universal is going all out with advertizing here in LA. Billboards, radio, TV ads etc.

31. Father

Father Sr Member

Hitler was pretty influential as well, I don't think he deserves a movie... but he pretty much cornered the market on The History Channel until he was usurped by Bigfoot and aliens.

I'm not a gangster rap/hip-hop fan so I'm probably biased but I don't think created anything positive with their style of music. If anything I think it fostered a culture of deviant and defiant behavior and gave young people false hope with the message "be a thug, rap about it, make millions"... the reality being "be a thug, end up in prison or dead... with no money".

32. jcoffman99

Not a rap fan, but I do want to see this flick. I do recognize their importance to music and the frustration of young people in South Central in the late 80s and early 90s.

I Suggest you check out out the lyrics to Express Yourself.

33. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been super excited about this movie since the first teaser, and went and saw it last night and loved it. I remember all the backlash when NWA came out, and lived in LA for about ten years in the 2000's right next to Inglewood (always up to no good). It was really interesting to see the history behind these guys and how they changed the musical scene. This movie is as relevant now as ever, and I'm glad it's getting great reviews. It deserves it and should be seen.

34. Darkturbo04

Darkturbo04 Active Member

I saw it last night. I liked it a lot. The theater was packed too for an 8pm showing. As a Raider fan I loved seeing their apparel in every other scene.

35. Apollo

I enjoyed it, those were some raucous times.

Can't wait for the Directors cut supposedly 5 hours long

36. airair

airair Sr Member

Not really. Their music or this type of music didn't foster defiant behaviour. You can thank institutional racism, unemployment, poor investment in towns and cities and the Police for the majority of whats occured over the last 30 years, and something which ironically is still true to this day, except its now not reported as major news, except for protests.

Personally, in my opinion, the actual group NWA did make an historical impact, as did Public Enemy, 2pac Shakur, Run DMC, KRS One, Rakim, and many others.
    Of course, with any genre of music you will get garbage, and thats true for all.

Sometimes you have to sift through the garbage to find the gold.

My personal favorite artist who is practically unknown to most mainstream audiences is this guy here. Far more powerful than NWA and many others.
    He actually retired and worked as a Stock broker in the World Trade Centre before returning to independent music.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    JoeG and Apollo like this.
  37. Lear60man

The Testarossa from the movie is up for sale now. Black horse Automovive in LA has it. I don't know if it's been advertised yet though

38. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

Directors cut will be 3h30min from what I read.

I loved it, was even better than I thought it was going to be.

39. Philly

Philly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been a massive Paris fan for a long time. You're the first person I have ever seen say the same thing!

Also, Talib Kweli. He's not very well known but for me is helping rap no end!

40. Grey

Grey Sr Member

I throughly enjoyed both 8 Mile and Hustle & Flow despite not being a fan of the genre. Both stood on their own merits as solid drama films without relying on the popularity of the music to carry it. It's as much a study of the people as it is a study of the music, and i've discovered I don't need to like rap to like a movie about rap. I won't say i'm falling over myself with excitement to go see this, but i'll watch it with the same open mind I gave the other two.

41. Lear60man

Grey,
    Both 8 Mile and Hustle and Flo were good movies. IMHO, Compton is a couple of steps up on the ladder. The movie making and tone is a home run with Compton. Please report back when you have seen it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I went in with high expectations (never a good idea), and came out having those expectations more than meet.

42. jcoffman99

Holy moly I liked this film. Not a big rap fan, but there was a lot going on in this movie. I would like to see it again.

43. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Checked it out last night. Great movie.

Nice to hear there is a longer cut, cuz it FELT cut up. There were moments where I turned to my wife and whispered "I feel like we just jumped 15 minutes that's on the cutting room floor", to which she replied "Stop being so white and just watch a movie about rap!"

As we left I asked me wife in as loud a voice as seemed natural "Which one was Jay Z?"

I'm not allowed to go with if they make a Tupac movie.

44. swampfiend

swampfiend New Member

On topic of Ice Cube:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=247213

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My 1/6th scale figure concept/prototype of "Doughboy" — Ice Cube in Boyz n the Hood

BTW, I counted down the days to see Straight Outta Compton and thoroughly enjoyed it. A few historical inaccuracies though.

:)
    Cheers

45. crabra comander

I enjoyed it...very much...would like to have seen more of the dynamic between Suge and Dre, maybe a little end credits blurb about the jewish producer that signed them, etc...

46. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I don't think I could name a single rap star if my life depended on it....