Stormtrooper tube stripes—silk screen mask

ollyhills

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just noticed over on starwarshelmets.com, “tube stripes were painted dark blue with silk screen mask.” Silk screen mask? What’s that all about?

Are you asking about the process of silk screening? It’s a very common printing process. Tons of YouTube videos.

It makes sense as a way to print a feature on dozens of helmets quickly.

ollyhills, It seems Jez mentions that the ANH stormtrooper helmets had hand painted details several times around the site, which is correct. If there's a mention somewhere that says a silk screen mask was used on the ANH stormtrooper helmets, then it would seem that was written in error. Do you have a link to this specific mention you are referring to?

ollyhills, It seems Jez mentions that the ANH stormtrooper helmets had hand painted details several times around the site, which is correct. If there's a mention somewhere that says a silk screen mask was used on the ANH stormtrooper helmets, then it would seem that was written in error. Do you have a link to this specific mention you are referring to?

It’s the comparison page, down at the bottom

12F470AB-217B-4BF4-9F7B-800070DBDE0B.png

Right on, yeah that looks like an error. I'd say that some masking tape was used on either side of the tube stripes and then the curved lines were hand painted between that. Perhaps that's what Star Wars Helmets was meaning to say. (y)
I mean that’s what I’d always assumed, cheap and cheerful being the motto of the day and all

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back