Interest Stormtrooper Sunglasses?! Good idea or.... ?

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I had this idea to make a pair of sunglasses based on the classic Stormtrooper helmet... maybe something to wear outdoors while trooping helmetless (eating/drinking time)? Here's a rough photoshop of the general idea:

tCRydxh.jpg

Figuring a gloss white acetate with a matt black acetate top and dark green lenses. The sides/arms would be gloss white with possibly a few blue vertical bars as on the lower cheeks of the helmet.

So... interesting idea? Stupid idea?

These would run for around $75. Let me know if there is any interest and/or if you have any suggestions as to the design. I can then sit down and do the proper design work.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

I like the idea and design. I think the blue bars on the sides would be a little to much crammed into one set of glasses though but that's just my $0.02...

I am interested for sure if you do a run! Pending FINAL price.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Being an optometrist, I'm going to say that the triangular lenses of the shoretrooper helmet are not going to be very flattering on anyone. They are going to end up looking like a pair of short, plastic framed rayban aviators - which has been tried, and looked terrible:( unless you spike your Mohawk to 2 feet and dye it purple, they just aren't the look anyone is looking for.

Maybe try a pair not so literally taken from a trooper helmet, but a pair inspired by a TK bucket. Lessen the triangularity and thin out the white part of the rim. Instead of the tube stripes on the temples, you could incorporate another part, Mayne the forearm square indents, on the temples.

Just some ideas

I would also avoid any shape to the brow that is upswept like the picture shows - this looks terrible on men. Stick with a brow that is straight across, or has a slight m shape.

bigkilo, that bar is not upswept, but meant to be perfectly straight (just viewed from above, hence the curvature).

Last edited by a moderator:
While it looked "at least interesting" on the first photoshop-pic, the mock-up looks terrible to me.

Doesn't help that the mock-up is on my ugly mug... I'll probably try making a few different shapes out of card stock to test out what looks best in "real life". Any other ideas... feel free to post!

Those would at least make nice 3dtv glasses:)

Edit - oh, wait, saw that those last ones already were.

I like the idea, Indy- maybe thicken the brow a bit - I think the weight of the frame should always balance toward the top, and the white eyewire area pulls a lot of the weight downward through color, so I would play around with thinning the white or thickening the black

I like the idea, and am a customer, but the mock up and as others have said....they need more above the lens, too much eye brow wouldn't look right, imo...

I've photoshopped the 3d glasses into what I kind of had in mind (and based on the above suggestions);

JvLHO2I.jpg

What do you think? I'm still thinking of adding the blue bars to the side.

Last edited:
Do a 3D print to test you design and post some pictures of it fitted to you...gives a better idea of the actual look, than s "shiny" 3D render (which I really like btw, even if I´d not be in te market for one :cool)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back