Stormtrooper help

Father Bubba

Hello everyone of the RPF! Along with this being my first post, it is my first build as well. I was hoping to find someone who could help me out, and this seems like the best place to ask.

I've been a member for a while, and I love the work that I see people do on here, its awesome. I've always wanted to do something myself, but never known quite what. Well, I was talking with a friend the other morning on our ride to work, and both of us being huge Star Wars fans, we got the idea to build Stormtrooper armor and walk around our local Seafood Festival (I live in North Carolina) in said armor.

I have Pepakura because I plan on making the armor that way. I have downloaded Fierfek's Stormtrooper files, and have them saved. That is basically where my knowledge on the matter ends. I don't know how to appropriately size the pieces to fit once cut and folded, and I don't know much on actually working on them until I get the finished product. I saw a video a few years back that someone made of them making ODST armor, and the videos showed how to start with paper and end with the final product. Ill look for that again, but I was hoping some of the fine people on here could help me as well.

If you know tips or anything else that could ease this process, since it is a first build for me, that would be much appreciated.

A little word of warning - Pepping a whole suit will take an age.

I would seriously suggest buying a kit from a supplier or a famous auction site. Must builders do it this way.

Two tips;
1)Look at the dedicated pepakura thread in the costuming forum
2) buy a kit from Anovos inatead of invensting almost the same amount of money for tools and materials.

I would say look up ATA works he presses full kits is gloss white ABS and look at white armor for build threads or look up trooper bay on YouTube they have a step by step video series to strap and assemble full armor . I personally wouldn't go with anovos but that's a personal preference . Hope any of that helps

ATA is a recast of CAP armor and it's been said he had permission from CAP yet CAP recast TE who had long since sold his rights many years earlier. But even TE said he never gave permission anyway. Lol. So what you get is a muddied down recast of a recast of a recast so if that excites you then go for it. If I was on low cash I would go for Anovos or AP. If you have the money go with RS,TM or the EFX when it's released. Don't support recasters no matter how cheap you get it.

Ben

Anovos hasn't even casted any of their own armor yet , all the stuff on display is bought form other 501st members to show what it could be . The only thing they have made are the episode 7 kits . I just don't trust them pulling in all this money for these kits they are selling and not having any molds or have pressed anything them selves . I didn't know ATA was a recast of a recast , I have just ordered a couple helmets from him and they were clean nice pulls and pretty crisp . I have since gone with another maker as he is a friend of a friend . Not trying to start a debate or step on any toes , this is all just stuff I've heard from other 501st members . The companies you've mentioned also are great I was just saying ATA for cheap reliable armor for his first time .

I've made a full pepped suit. It isn't accurate, but it's my idea of what a trooper might look like, and I'm happy with it. BUT... it took a long, long time, and I ended up with many abandoned peps along the way.

Honestly, if you want to troop - buy a suit and assemble it. You will have so much fun.

And - then, if you still want to, pep a suit for yourself and make it how you'd like. Best of both worlds.

:)

Anovos hasn't even casted any of their own armor yet , all the stuff on display is bought form other 501st members to show what it could be . The only thing they have made are the episode 7 kits . I just don't trust them pulling in all this money for these kits they are selling and not having any molds or have pressed anything them selves . I didn't know ATA was a recast of a recast , I have just ordered a couple helmets from him and they were clean nice pulls and pretty crisp . I have since gone with another maker as he is a friend of a friend . Not trying to start a debate or step on any toes , this is all just stuff I've heard from other 501st members . The companies you've mentioned also are great I was just saying ATA for cheap reliable armor for his first time .
There are many inaccuracies in your post. First of all, the pictures from Anovos website are from their own prototype, not some armor from some other maker.

Second, they have had access to the Lucasfilm archives and they 3D scanned original suits in order to sculpt their trooper. They did that with a couple of different armor and kinda mashed all the best features of each together to make the "definitive" trooper.

Third, those of us who preordered with them received an email update with pictures from their production test run and they look legit! Of course, since I ordered from them, I may be a bit biased but everything I've read and seen so far suggest that this will be a fantastic TK armor!

Just my 2 cents!

There are many inaccuracies in your post. First of all, the pictures from Anovos website are from their own prototype, not some armor from some other maker

Just my 2 cents!

Like I said I'm not trying to start a debate or step on toes and if you got pictures that they are pressing armor then I'd feel a lot safer . I'm only stating what I've heard from command staff in the 501st and what I've read in posts here on the RPF and other forums . I was told that all of the armor at C7 excluding TFA armor was from another maker , it's even stated that they are working together by them and him . But again , I could be wrong . If they are working with the maker I believe then their armor will be fantastic ! I would really like to see pics of the armor when it comes out

Like I said I'm not trying to start a debate or step on toes and if you got pictures that they are pressing armor then I'd feel a lot safer . I'm only stating what I've heard from command staff in the 501st and what I've read in posts here on the RPF and other forums . I was told that all of the armor at C7 excluding TFA armor was from another maker , it's even stated that they are working together by them and him . But again , I could be wrong . If they are working with the maker I believe then their armor will be fantastic ! I would really like to see pics of the armor when it comes out
Sorry! That sounded a little harsh, didn't it?

I know there were lots of unknowns at the beginning and people took lots of guesses but we are starting to know more. Anovos has actually been great at communicating with the community, so we have a better idea of what we are into compared to a few weeks ago.

You are right about C7, it wasn't their armor on display but an eFX or something like that. I'm speculating here but since they've only had a prototype at that point, it may have been too valuable to them to be taken on tour...

They did elaborate on how the suit is made and I think they actually did here, on theRPF. They say they've had access to suits from the LFL archives and scanned them. They've then corrected imperfections they felt were necessary.

Last week, they've sent us an email showing test pulls they did and while not perfect, it looks like they are dedicated to launch a good product. Given their previous offerings, I expected no less but there is a difference between making tunics and armor.

But you know, I feel very confident and I can't wait to get my kit!

Sorry! That sounded a little harsh, didn't it?

I know there were lots of unknowns at the beginning and people took lots of guesses but we are starting to know more. Anovos has actually been great at communicating with the community, so we have a better idea of what we are into compared to a few weeks ago.

You are right about C7, it wasn't their armor on display but an eFX or something like that. I'm speculating here but since they've only had a prototype at that point, it may have been too valuable to them to be taken on tour...

They did elaborate on how the suit is made and I think they actually did here, on theRPF. They say they've had access to suits from the LFL archives and scanned them. They've then corrected imperfections they felt were necessary.

Last week, they've sent us an email showing test pulls they did and while not perfect, it looks like they are dedicated to launch a good product. Given their previous offerings, I expected no less but there is a difference between making tunics and armor.

But you know, I feel very confident and I can't wait to get my kit!

im sorry I'm totally not trying to be rude at all or sound harsh , my apologies if I came across like that !

All the armor they had on display was from a maker named moncal and they even stated that they were using him for the tie , atat, and I believe something else ? I'm pretty sure all of the photos that were originally posted or their armor was all pieces collected from other makers to make one perfect suit for each costume .

I hope you can see where my speculation and hesitation came from when first hearing about them making armor . I honestly hope it all goes well for them and I'm sure the armor they produce will be great . I can't see why it wouldn't be when pulling in all these amazing factors !

Again , sorry if I came across harsh at all was not my intention

im sorry I'm totally not trying to be rude at all or sound harsh , my apologies if I came across like that !

All the armor they had on display was from a maker named moncal and they even stated that they were using him for the tie , atat, and I believe something else ? I'm pretty sure all of the photos that were originally posted or their armor was all pieces collected from other makers to make one perfect suit for each costume .

I hope you can see where my speculation and hesitation came from when first hearing about them making armor . I honestly hope it all goes well for them and I'm sure the armor they produce will be great . I can't see why it wouldn't be when pulling in all these amazing factors !

Again , sorry if I came across harsh at all was not my intention
Hahaha!!! I didn't mean you sounded harsh, I actually thought I did sound harsh or rude :) (how Canadian, eh?) Let me reassure you, you didn't sound harsh or anything, quite the contrary.

You're right, they are working with MonCal for some of their offerings but it seems like the OT trooper is a fresh new mold! I'm still new to this whole TK thing and names like AM, AP, ATA, eFX and MonCal are still pretty confusing [emoji14]

One thing though, I'm glad I jumped on the offer from Anovos because I don't think I would have gotten into trooper until much later in life if not for this!

Hahaha!!! I didn't mean you sounded harsh, I actually thought I did sound harsh or rude :) (how Canadian, eh?) Let me reassure you, you didn't sound harsh or anything, quite the contrary.

You're right, they are working with MonCal for some of their offerings but it seems like the OT trooper is a fresh new mold! I'm still new to this whole TK thing and names like AM, AP, ATA, eFX and MonCal are still pretty confusing [emoji14]

One thing though, I'm glad I jumped on the offer from Anovos because I don't think I would have gotten into trooper until much later in life if not for this!

ahhhhh ok ! I was like "man I really hope I didn't offend anyone , I was trying to be as polite as possible " hahahaha

all i I know is what I've been told by people who know moncal and from what I've read on the forum and other places . The way it was being conveyed was that moncal sent them molds and the casted off those or he sent them armor and they recasted it . If they scanned a set of armor and fixed the little imperfections and made molds hem selfs and casting from that that's awesome !

Im a little skeptical on the whole cleaning imperfections thing tho , Isnt that what makes the armor movie accurate ? All the weird bumps and non perfectness like the original screen used armor had ? i have too big of a build for TK armor so I didn't order any or even think about it but the tie pilot is looking very tempting, of course depending on how nice it turns out !

ahhhhh ok ! I was like "man I really hope I didn't offend anyone , I was trying to be as polite as possible " hahahaha

all i I know is what I've been told by people who know moncal and from what I've read on the forum and other places . The way it was being conveyed was that moncal sent them molds and the casted off those or he sent them armor and they recasted it . If they scanned a set of armor and fixed the little imperfections and made molds hem selfs and casting from that that's awesome !

Im a little skeptical on the whole cleaning imperfections thing tho , Isnt that what makes the armor movie accurate ? All the weird bumps and non perfectness like the original screen used armor had ? i have too big of a build for TK armor so I didn't order any or even think about it but the tie pilot is looking very tempting, of course depending on how nice it turns out !

I understand where you come from! I've followed every thread there is about this and there were lots of things that were said, so who knows where the truth lies?

About cleaning up imperfections, my understanding is that they will keep the asymmetry that was part of the originals but they will be idealized. I think the intent is to avoid having the "bumpy cap" effect that some armours have. While technically accurate, they do look weird to the general public. It's still gonna be wonky, it's part of the appeal! Just maybe a little bit less so than screen used pieces.

If you've seen the Star Wars Identities exhibition, or any exhibition featuring screen used pieces, you know they pretty much look like crap up close. It's part of the charm indeed but I don't mind if it's a little less wonky than the originals as most fan sculpts have also been idealized to some extent.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

I understand where you come from! I've followed every thread there is about this and there were lots of things that were said, so who knows where the truth lies?

About cleaning up imperfections, my understanding is that they will keep the asymmetry that was part of the originals but they will be idealized. I think the intent is to avoid having the "bumpy cap" effect that some armours have. While technically accurate, they do look weird to the general public. It's still gonna be wonky, it's part of the appeal! Just maybe a little bit less so than screen used pieces.

If you've seen the Star Wars Identities exhibition, or any exhibition featuring screen used pieces, you know they pretty much look like crap up close. It's part of the charm indeed but I don't mind if it's a little less wonky than the originals as most fan sculpts have also been idealized to some extent.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

to me the armor isnt supposed to be perfect its supposed to be a little off cause thats true to movie cannon . i guess im a little ocd about stuff like that ?! like when i build helmets i put a little gap in the ear caps cause they werent perfectly smooth and touching. hopefully the "perfectness" they are trying to obtain will still be acceptable by the 501st .

ive totally seen the armor from the movie on display and it looks horrid hahahaha but it is also really old and was painted not pressed in gloss white abs. all in all im excited to see what they produce and im hoping it isnt just recast from other makers.

to me the armor isnt supposed to be perfect its supposed to be a little off cause thats true to movie cannon . i guess im a little ocd about stuff like that ?! like when i build helmets i put a little gap in the ear caps cause they werent perfectly smooth and touching. hopefully the "perfectness" they are trying to obtain will still be acceptable by the 501st .

ive totally seen the armor from the movie on display and it looks horrid hahahaha but it is also really old and was painted not pressed in gloss white abs. all in all im excited to see what they produce and im hoping it isnt just recast from other makers.
You're right, it isn't supposed to be perfect! I don't think their intent is to make it perfect either but I think we'll know more after SDCC...

You should see the state of some troopers on film: missing pieces like brow trim/decals, wonky mic tips, cracked armor and pieces hanging off or held on by gaffer tape etc All part of their charm in a way.

Last edited:
Just thought I would put up these pictures. These are from the email Anovos sent out.

They are pulling casts now. Let's get back to the OP's questions though.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back