Stilt Recommendations

endo500

I'm looking to make a new costume that requires me to use stilts. My main concern is wearing them at a Con and being able to keep my balance with lots of moving bodies. I have seen some other costumers pull this off (like the bumble bee guy and others). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good brand of stilts or a method for modifying stilts to be balanced.

I have used several different stilts and Digilegs in the past.
Heres a link to my Tarffult he wookie build that outlines how they are used.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/tarfful-wip-finished-costume-page-3-a-94608/
In that build i modified some plasters stilts that i got on ebay for only $60. They are extremely versatile and stable, to the point where I could do some lame karate kicks in them!!
It really depends what the costume is as to how stable your stilts will be.

I have used aluminum drywall stilts for several costumes, with as much as a 24" lift. The trick is to get used to wearing them first, and you should do fine. I had 18" stilts last year, bar hopped all night with people bumping into me, even played pool with no problems (I'm 6'3"). I've also built my own stilts, but there is really no comparison. You want those suckers as light as humanly possible, especially if you're wandering around a con all day, and poorly home-built ones can seriously hurt you.
If you can't borrow some, I would recommend renting a pair of aluminum drywall stilts. Some are at a set height, while others can be adjusted quite a bit. I can't think of the brand mine are, but any commercial grade stilts should work great. They rent pairs around here for $25/day (as compared to $300 for mine new)

Good luck with it!

Ebay is always worth a look, I managed to get a brand new pair for £40 or about $60 - bit of a bargain, but you can walk in them all day long

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back