Steve Neill Studio 1/2 Scale TOS Enterprise Buildup

Shizman

Here I go on my buildup of Steve Neill's excellent TOS 1/2 studio scale Enterprise. I can only do pictures right now.

I'm not very far along right now, but I thought I'd post to keep me motivated and to help advertise this excellent model.

The resin I'm using takes 24 hours to cure, so it is taking multiple days to fill the windows. I did a bunch of different part sections at a time.

The windows in the B/C deck are done:
View attachment 70703

The 3 lights on the bottom rear corners. The blemishes are the adhesive left behind by the Scotch tape I use on the hull while the resin cures. It will come off with alcohol or Goo Gone.
View attachment 70707

I even filled the nav light locations until I determine how the LED is going to sit in there.
View attachment 70708

I originally used the resin on the big top saucer windows, but I suspected that it would sag over time, so I replaced it with the acrylic that Steve sent. It's nice and clear as you can see. I'll frost it up from the inside I think with some high grit sandpaper since it's not really attractive to see the fiberglass on the inside through this window. How cool would it be to put a room here though?
View attachment 70712

I have cut out ALL the windows in the secondary hull and filled them with clear resin. My plan is to do something a little different and paint the insides black for windows that aren't lit. I'll see how that effect looks and worst case I can paint over them from the outside.
View attachment 70710

Both halves done:
View attachment 70709

A shot of the lower saucer. I have all the windows cut out and filed and am starting to fill each section with clear resin. Each night a do a different section and then work on other parts of the ship while this cures. Look how huge this ship is using the keyboard as reference. It's crazy big and I love it.
View attachment 70706

A shot of the top of the saucer. All windows are done here. I filled the nav light areas here as well until I get the lighting sorted out.
View attachment 70711

A shot of the armature for the saucer. It needs to be shaped a little via trial and error to get the fit just right. I am considering putting more wood in between each section so that there's a former every 45 degrees for maximum support. My messy workshop is in the background.
View attachment 70713

Here's my first attempt at ever using fiberglass. I used resin and it stunk and I'll use epoxy next time. I suck at it and used too much resin but used the Dremel to sand away a bunch so this is how it stays. Nice and strong. The pipe was initially held in with JB Weld and the covering of fiberglass should keep it nice and strong. More messy workshop in the background.
View attachment 70714

I just noticed that I messed up the title of the thread, but it's close. Should say Studio 1/2 Scale TOS Enterprise. Oh well...

Last edited:
That means there's at least ONE rivet.... :behave
Oh no, NO, not a rivet thing again....
internet-argument.jpg

:lol

your windows look great!

were they difficult to file out?

I used a 1mm drill to get them close and then an electric file to finish them off. Went very quickly. I'd say it ended up being about 1 min/window with that method. A couple of hours and I had them all done.

The beauty of an electric file is that you can constantly check squareness as you go without having to stop. You end up moving along several planes when manually doing it and I find you have to stop and check often or else you end up with a mess.

I used a 1mm drill to get them close and then an electric file to finish them off. Went very quickly. I'd say it ended up being about 1 min/window with that method. A couple of hours and I had them all done.

The beauty of an electric file is that you can constantly check squareness as you go without having to stop. You end up moving along several planes when manually doing it and I find you have to stop and check often or else you end up with a mess.

can you point us to a source for your electic file?

gracias

Wow, Shizman, that's one tool I've always wished for - didn't know it actually existed. You're really lucky to have gotten one - it says product discontinued. The only ones available in ebay are manicure/pedicure electric files :confused

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back