StepCraft 2 CNC Router Kit - From Assembly to first Prop

blickfangQ2

Hi everyone,

I lately decided to buy a CNC machine :)
I looked around for quiet some time and now finally found a machine that delivers everything I want.

It's the:
StepCraft 2 840 CNC Router Kit with the HF500 Spindle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445319252.626468.jpg

US
https://stepcraft.us
Or for Germany
https://stepcraft-systems.com

I try to document every step. Maybe it's helpful for someone who also wants to join the CNC fun ;)

So, I tested it and run into a few problems. First the cabletube gets stuck every time I move to the front left side. I need to find a solution for this, otherwise I'm afraid I can't build large object without worrying about ripping my cables out.
Second my reference Triggers are always "triggered". When I manually trigger one, it gets untriggered. I googled the problem and found that in the Shareware WinPC-NC USB (199€) you can invert the signals. I think I'll buy that software anyways to get more than just 2D milled. So yeah, I bit frustrated about the little issues, but I hope it'll get better tomorrow. It's quiet a learning curve if you haven't worked with similar technology before. What Import and Export Formats to choose...what programs to use for what...what tools to use etc.
But hey, I decided to go "kit" and not "ready to use" so that's kind of what I expected anyways. :D

Stay tuned, I'll try to be more precise as soon as I know what I'm doing :D

Seb

The aplied free version of winpc should let you change the switches too.

I run a simular gantrymill with linuxcnc wich is free too. Takes a bit digging into the software settings though. For testing just get a old pc and download linuxcnc and install so you dont have to use your normal computer.

Jarroth

The aplied free version of winpc should let you change the switches too.

I run a simular gantrymill with linuxcnc wich is free too. Takes a bit digging into the software settings though. For testing just get a old pc and download linuxcnc and install so you dont have to use your normal computer.

Jarroth

Thanks for the advice. I bought WinPC-NC USB today and voilà everything works like a charm :)
Now to the cable tube :)

feels good looking at your machine doing first cuts isnt it?

mine is just engraver now. going to upgrade the gantry to allow for highr Z axis to do 2.5 - 3D. so far my Z axis is manual going to automate it in progress. is low cost home build machine. nothing as fancy as yours. build it when i was home due to injury at work pure to fight boredom. next one will be able to do alot more.

I'm very happy I got everything to work now :)

And so here comes my first Project:
Bucks Knife from IceAge 3 (Rudy's Tooth) :)

My son is a huge IceAge fan so he begged me for a long time to build one.

First up the 3D model:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446320182.452810.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446320225.907070.jpg

I cut it in half so my CNC router can work with it. Now I need to make rough pockets :)

I decided to make the rough path with a 6mm flat end mill and the fine path with a 3mm radius end mill.
Mill is set to 20000 rpm

Here we go:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446382464.167775.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446382479.502110.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446382510.354577.jpg

So far so good

And here is a better image of the knife:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446382546.426700.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back